News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Forum Suggestion - Non-Contiguous United States

Started by Pink Jazz, September 11, 2020, 11:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I think as a suggestion, I would move Alaska and Hawaii discussion out of their respective forums and create a separate forum for the Non-Contiguous United States, which would encompass Alaska, Hawaii, and the U.S. Territories.  Does anyone think this is a good idea?

webny99

I guess it would be a question of if there's enough discussion to warrant it.

Hawaii and Alaska each have their own thread within their current boards, which seem to be sufficing. And while it's true that there's no designated place to discuss the US territories, I'm not sure I've seen much, if any, discussion of them in other threads (besides maybe Puerto Rico, but mostly in non-road related contexts such as statehood and natural disasters).

oscar

I don't think this would be a good idea. The non-contiguous areas don't have much in common with each other, while at least Alaska and Hawaii have some commonality with the regions where they are now assigned (Hawaii DOT apes Caltrans, and Alaska DOT&PF to some extent follows Washington DOT).

All the non-contiguous jurisdictions have low-enough discussion traffic to be overshadowed by mainland jurisdictions, but moving them to a new board wouldn't change that.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Takumi

Outside Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, I don't think there's even really that much to discuss. Outside of the city, Saipan has like four roads.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: oscar on September 11, 2020, 11:30:56 PM
I don't think this would be a good idea. The non-contiguous areas don't have much in common with each other, while at least Alaska and Hawaii have some commonality with the regions where they are now assigned (Hawaii DOT apes Caltrans, and Alaska DOT&PF to some extent follows Washington DOT).

All the non-contiguous jurisdictions have low-enough discussion traffic to be overshadowed by mainland jurisdictions, but moving them to a new board wouldn't change that.

Now that I think of it, DTOP in Puerto Rico does have some commonality with FDOT to some extent.

thspfc

Why don't we give California and Texas their own boards while we're at it. Heck, a board about Orange County, CA or Harris County, TX might generate more discussion than a Hawaii and Alaska board.

hotdogPi

Quote from: thspfc on September 18, 2020, 10:53:53 AM
Why don't we give California and Texas their own boards while we're at it. Heck, a board about Orange County, CA or Harris County, TX might generate more discussion than a Hawaii and Alaska board.

Puerto Rico has more people than Orange County. Add Hawaii and you have more than Harris County.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thspfc

Quote from: 1 on September 18, 2020, 11:02:52 AM
Quote from: thspfc on September 18, 2020, 10:53:53 AM

Puerto Rico has more people than Orange County. Add Hawaii and you have more than Harris County.
That's not the point. I don't think we have any active members on here from Puerto Rico or Hawaii. We might have one or two Alaskans but I don't know. Whereas we have many active members from in or near Orange and Harris counties.

JoePCool14

Even if discussion is light due to low amounts of users from those areas, I personally think it makes sense to create a separate board for the non-contiguous United States.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Alps

This is all fine, but there is no real reason to do so.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.