News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Loading takes a long time today

Started by snowc, March 06, 2022, 09:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowc

@rickmastfan67 @Alex
I am having a trouble of a time loading AARoads Forum today, and I checked speeds and they are OK.
Router was rebooted, and restarted computer.
Is something going on in the server room?

hotdogPi

I'm not having any issues.

The @ symbol still doesn't work.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SectorZ

Quote from: snowc on March 06, 2022, 09:26:24 AM
@rickmastfan67 @Alex
I am having a trouble of a time loading AARoads Forum today, and I checked speeds and they are OK.
Router was rebooted, and restarted computer.
Is something going on in the server room?

I had the same problem two weeks ago, where for a day I couldn't access the site at all thru anything hooked up to my router, but could thru my phone over LTE. Next day it was fine like nothing happened.

snowc

Ok, so some people are having issues, some aren't.
:confused: Im at a loss of what to do. Maybe switch to 2.4G rather than 5G?

tolbs17

GaryV

Quote from: snowc on March 06, 2022, 09:30:10 AM
Ok, so some people are having issues, some aren't.
:confused: Im at a loss of what to do. Maybe switch to 2.4G rather than 5G?

Maybe read a book for an hour or two, and try again later.

J N Winkler

Quote from: GaryV on March 06, 2022, 01:48:24 PM
Quote from: snowc on March 06, 2022, 09:30:10 AMOk, so some people are having issues, some aren't.

:confused: I'm at a loss of what to do. Maybe switch to 2.4G rather than 5G?

Maybe read a book for an hour or two, and try again later.

Reading books is just a good idea in general.

If signal strength is an issue, then it may help to set the default channel higher in the 5 GHz band, as higher channels are broadcast with more power.  Alternatively, if the computer doesn't move around much and it is possible to route an Ethernet cable out of the way, plugging it into the router eliminates signal as a factor.

I have been having issues with forum pages not loading completely when I launch several in new tabs in rapid succession.  This is with the latest Firefox on a Windows 10 machine that is plugged in to the router.  Mostly I just work around it by hitting Refresh as needed.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

It's also worth noting that Russian cyberattacks have been elevated since the current situation in Ukraine began.  I've noticed that network and internet performance has gotten more erratic in that time, and at work, IT is sending out multiple messages asking users to beware of suspicious messages and noting increased network requests from Russian IP addresses, urging users to be more cautious of cyber security than normal.  On Friday, my co-worker's computer blue screened, and the network was down for a while.  Then, later that night, my bank had an unexpected outage to online banking.  I've also noticed increased connection latency, mostly at work, but at home too.  All of this makes me feel like something is up.  So, it's possible that something was affecting snowc's ISP, router/modem, or cellular connection.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

snowc

Quote from: vdeane on March 06, 2022, 04:47:43 PM
It's also worth noting that Russian cyberattacks have been elevated since the current situation in Ukraine began.  I've noticed that network and internet performance has gotten more erratic in that time, and at work, IT is sending out multiple messages asking users to beware of suspicious messages and noting increased network requests from Russian IP addresses, urging users to be more cautious of cyber security than normal.  On Friday, my co-worker's computer blue screened, and the network was down for a while.  Then, later that night, my bank had an unexpected outage to online banking.  I've also noticed increased connection latency, mostly at work, but at home too.  All of this makes me feel like something is up.  So, it's possible that something was affecting snowc's ISP, router/modem, or cellular connection.
Ho boy, guess we're in for a possible internet outage. I have Charter Spectrum and said that slower than normal speeds are going to be a pain in the butt for the next two months (or eternity.  :colorful:)
@vdeane, I've solved the problem for now by connecting to the 2.4G network, albeit one of my flash drives, an Onn USB 2.0 Flash drive, seems to be causing the network latency.
@JN Winkler Reading books while a file gets copied can cut time, but schoolwork assignments have to be done by a certain time.

snowc

Looks like its my flash drive that's causing it.
Gonna have to return the sucker after all, and replace it with another Cruzer 3.0.  :pan:
Seems to be that Walmart needs to be called SuckMart (as my father would call it, as he did this morning  :colorful:)
Thanks everyone for helping me out.
Im keeping this open until I have my new flash drive.
I have another Cruzer 3.0 and right now thats saying its not recognized.
Aaaand I have to return that to Sandisk in Pleasant Prairie WI for a new one via USPS. 
Again, well played Walmart for taking a product that's prides itself for being the best quality, and placing it in the electronic trash bin.  :clap:
TL;DR: Don't buy private label flash drives from places like Walmart. ever. And I mean it  :bigass:

hbelkins

I have a couple of Walmart ONN flash drives/SDHC cards, and they work just as well as SanDisk or Kingston.

I'm not sure why an external storage drive would slow down the loading of a Web page, unless for some reason the browser is caching pages on the external drives instead of the startup drive.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Starting yesterday, it won't load about 1/3 of the time. It actually says that the server can't be found quite quickly (normally a non-loading page takes about 2 minutes to time out), and it's not the "not connected to the internet" message. It's completely random, and reloading the page always works (sometimes it takes a few tries).

My typical page that I reload is Recent Unread Topics, if that matters. I'm not having any issues with the non-forum part of AARoads, but I might have just been lucky.

MATraveler128

I usually surf the forum on my iPad and saw that every time I loaded it, it would tell me that the server stopped responding.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Big John

It won't load on my computer.   On my smartphone, it won't load when using my home wifi, but will load when I turn it off.

rickmastfan67

Could be an issue with the DNS servers.  I've been having the same issue yesterday & today.

Alps

Just had the issue this evening at 7:30 central, and it resolved in 5 minutes.

tolbs17

Have had issues here as well, even on other forums such as City-Data.

hotdogPi

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 20, 2022, 10:43:36 PM

Does City-Data use SMF? I'm having no issues with another forum using phpBB.

Mr. Matté

It seems like I was having trouble getting anything on AARoads (not just the forum) to work. Even just now, I got a "aaroads is taking too long to load" though the regular forum just popped up. It's working for me on my work computer / Chrome, but trying to get to the forum at least on my phone right now (Android, Firefox 98.0.12) it's hanging it hung for a long time but it just came up and is working at normal speed.

vdeane

I think I had an issue loading a page from my own site at one point yesterday or Saturday (same hosting provider, last time I checked).  Maybe their was a brief outage or something.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tolbs17

Quote from: 1 on March 21, 2022, 07:40:51 AM

Does City-Data use SMF? I'm having no issues with another forum using phpBB.
Nah they use vbulletin

Scott5114

The basic rule of Internet outages:
If you have a problem with one website, the problem is on the website's end.
If you have a problem with two websites, the problem is on your end.

(yes there are things like AWS/CDN outages that complicate this but it's generally a good rule)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DeaconG

Well, we now all know who was jonesing for AA Roads...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

snowc

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 22, 2022, 02:37:30 AM

The basic rule of Internet outages:
If you have a problem with one website, the problem is on the website's end.
If you have a problem with two websites, the problem is on your end.

(yes there are things like AWS/CDN outages that complicate this but it's generally a good rule)
Cant load AARoads. But can access the forum fine.  :-/
@rickmastfan67 is it down? cant access.

Scott5114

Loads fine for me.

So far as I know, rickmastfan67 is a scalar, not an array.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.