News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Route 6 sign project hits possible roadblock

Started by roadman, February 24, 2016, 04:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: bob7374 on July 08, 2016, 11:34:09 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on July 07, 2016, 01:37:52 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on July 07, 2016, 11:21:22 AM
Quote from: roadman on July 05, 2016, 04:22:26 PM
As bob7374 posted on the Massachusetts Exit Renumbering Contract thread, MassDOT is holding a public meeting to discuss the Route 6 sign replacement project on Monday, July 18th in Hyannis.  Details are at http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/route-6-sign-replacement-public-meeting-scheduled/

This appears to be a first for any state DOT - holding a public meeting for a highway sign replacement project.
MassDOT has now provided a link to the press release on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/massdotinfo/?fref=nf

I commented about whether the poster knew whether this was the first time MassDOT held a public meeting regarding a sign replacement project. So far, no response. At least the comment has not been deleted, unlike the  one stating how all of this was a waste of money that was there when I added my comment. I am thinking of attending this meeting, if just to see who turns up.

As of now, there are no comments, so apparently yours got deleted, too.
Shows up on my feed, still with no response. Perhaps only comments appear to those who 'like' the page.

That is the wonkiness that is Facebook. I actually do like the MassDOT page and yeah, no comments as of a moment ago. Go figure.

bob7374

I attended tonight's MassDOT public meeting about the upcoming US 6 signing project in Hyannis. Not a large crowd but there was one Cape Cod politician, aides to a couple state legislators, and, based on how the MassDOT personnel responded to her, one of the high-ranking members of the Cape Cod Commission.

She should be happy, the Commission that got most of what it wanted with the re-designed signing project. There will be no overhead signs, all the new signs will be the same size as the current ones, most mounted on the existing support posts. The exit numbers will stay the same, however, like the guidance given the contractors for the current I-90 and I-495 projects, the exit tabs will be wide enough to incorporate a change to milepost-based numbers later on. If any number change is contemplated in the future, however, it will only occur after 'a robust public information campaign.' (The officials stuck to MassDOT's current line that they are still deciding whether to change numbers on a state-wide basis.) The schedule for the project, still funded by FY 2016 dollars, is that it will be advertised in September, awarded by the end of the year, with work starting in the summer of 2017 and to be finished in 2018.

Some audience members were skeptical about MassDOT's insistence that the new US 6 plans were an effort to take public opinion fully into account when designing the project, especially since while the new plans have the old numbers, the signs are designed so they could have new ones. When pressed about how likely that US 6 or other highways will get new exit numbers, the official indicated it has been the Lt. Governor who has been campaigning against the use of milepost based numbers and that she has been putting pressure on MassDOT highway personnel not to push for any number changing projects. He stated, however, that MasDOT has been unsuccessful in getting the FHWA to reconsider a waiver, and so a change is still likely.

After being pressed by an audience member, the meeting's PowerPoint presentation may be put online. If so, I'll post a link.

AMLNet49

Thank you for the report, couldn't go due to (ironically enough) car issues. Ground mounted signs are fine for the Cape, and it's good to hear that mileage based exits are still likely. Seems like MA-28 (and 57 but that's not on Cape) getting numbers is contingent on mileage based exits, doesn't sound like they want to put up sequential for them. Also it doesn't seem like the Cape will be given an exception to the numbering change when it does happen, which MassDOT sounded at first like it was going to give them. Seems like the Feds said no to that.

bob7374

The meeting also included a presentation about the upcoming District 5 Retroflective Sign Upgrading project. I'll leave it to Roadman to explain the details, since he's the project manager. Hopefully when this project is complete, I'll be able to say goodbye to all the 1980s (or earlier) route markers around my hometown.

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on July 19, 2016, 06:23:49 PM
The meeting also included a presentation about the upcoming District 5 Retroflective Sign Upgrading project. I'll leave it to Roadman to explain the details, since he's the project manager. Hopefully when this project is complete, I'll be able to say goodbye to all the 1980s (or earlier) route markers around my hometown.

For about the past two years, MassDOT has been conducting a condition survey of all guide, route marker, regulatory, and warning signs on all secondary state highways (both numbered and unnumbered), as well as on all municipal-owned portions of state numbered routes, within Massachusetts.  Signs have been evaluated in both daytime and nighttime conditions, with individual panels being ranked as good, fair, poor, or non-standard (i.e. doesn't meet 2009 MUTCD requirements).  The purpose of this contract, as well as a similar project being developed in District 4, will be to replace all the signs ranked as poor or non-standard with new signs (and new posts where required).

Both the District 5 and District 4 projects are at the final design stage, and are scheduled to be advertised for bids by mid-September of 2016.  Like the Route 6 sign replacement project, these projects are to be constructed using Federal Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funds.

Similar District-wide Sign Retroreflectivity Upgrade projects are being developed for Districts 1, 2, 3, and 6 as well.  These projects are currently programmed for HSIP funding in FFY 2017, and should be advertised for bids by September of 2017.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on July 20, 2016, 09:17:07 AM
Cape Cod Times article on Monday night's Route 6 public meeting:  http://www.capecod.com/newscenter/state-promises-flexible-work-schedule-for-route-6-sign-update-project/

Nice positive spin on the project.
Definitely positive, though they left out the details about the exit numbering. Readers thus may get the impression that the numbers are never changing, which may not be the case.

The Ghostbuster

US 6's exit numbers should be changed to mileage-based along with the rest of the state. Enough said!

bob7374

A week and 1/2 after the public meeting, the Cape Cod Times is finally reporting on the plans for keeping, for now, the current exit numbers on US 6/Mid-Cape Highway:
http://www.capecodtimes.com/article/20160729/NEWS/160729414

Article also quotes MassDOT spokesman as the adopting of milepost numbers is still under evaluation as they are "many questions which still need to be answered concerning how Massachusetts would transition to distance-based numbering and what the potential impacts could be on the communities we serve." Apparently, if there are new numbers put up there will be at least a year of public outreach before any changes are made.

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on July 29, 2016, 11:48:43 AM
A week and 1/2 after the public meeting, the Cape Cod Times is finally reporting on the plans ...
Now that the RNC and DNC junkets are over, the media has no good excuses to not focus on local news.

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman on July 29, 2016, 11:54:25 AMNow that the RNC and DNC junkets are over, the media has no good excuses to not focus on local news.

You're kidding, right?  The media has the two best excuses in the world.

The two presidential candidates.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman

Quote from: SidS1045 on July 29, 2016, 02:25:35 PM
Quote from: roadman on July 29, 2016, 11:54:25 AMNow that the RNC and DNC junkets are over, the media has no good excuses to not focus on local news.

You're kidding, right?  The media has the two best excuses in the world.

The two presidential candidates.
Touche' 

The Ghostbuster

Although my mother recently told me to vote for Clinton, I don't really trust Clinton and certainly not Trump.

Alps

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 29, 2016, 03:50:12 PM
Although my mother recently told me to vote for Clinton, I don't really trust Clinton and certainly not Trump.
Let's not open those wars here plz

MVHighways

To the last poster, I'm pretty sure political discussion is not permitted on this forum (excluding discussion of traffic related issues that may have stemmed from the conventions.)

Anyway, milepost exit numbers. I think it's a matter of not if but when, and I also think that the next MUTCD will set a deadline for milepost exit conversions. It seems obvious the FHWA isn't going to grant a waiver either, so MassDOT should, I feel, just bite the bullet assemble a big public outreach effort now (which good on them for finally saying they will do that) and actually begin the campaign around Labor Day. Route 6 specifically, I feel, is just a bunch of complaining. Maybe MassDOT could provide some small grants to help pay for modifications to promotional materials, etc., but the complainers just need to know that it is inevitable and maybe as such MassDOT could do Route 6's renumbering last. The only reason their argument is on solid ground is because the freeway section starts at mile 58, which can be confusing. But to the complaining end, Maine has a ton of tourism along the coast, and particularly in the southwest Maine area which happens to be served by 95 and 295, not to mention inland attractions in Maine along 95. All of them had to change materials, and maybe there were some complaints, but most presumably got used to it, including the people who are visiting, so I don't see why Cape Cod can't do that.

Potential impacts on communities? The states that started sequential and switched to milepost can give a guidelines.

In short, it's time to bite the bullet. Route 6 can be debated further but a PR campaign should be started soon for the other roads.

bob7374

MassDOT has now (9/17) advertised the contract to replace the exit signage on US 6 on Cape Cod, notice the description emphasizes the use ground-mounted signage:
"Fabrication and Installation of Ground Mounted Guide and Traffic Signs along a Section of Route 6 (Mid-Cape Highway)"

The winning bidder is to be announced on 1/24/2017.

All the current advertised project bids can be found at: https://hwy.massdot.state.ma.us/webapps/const/statusReport.asp

roadman

Cross-posted from another thread.

Bids are scheduled to be opened on the US 6 sign replacement on Tuesday, January 24th.  As it is only a panels replacement project (no support work), new BGSes and route markers should be in by the end of this year.

CapeCodder

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 25, 2016, 02:51:40 PM
I've been traveling to the Cape for the past 20 years or so and have watched those signs slowly loose their reflectivity.  At night, the route shield on eastbound sign for exit 2 is unreadable until you're 5' in front of it, for example.  The signs clearly need to be replaced.  Replaced with overhead gantries where the MUTCD requires it?  Probably not.  Its not like we're dealing with an Interstate that relies on federal funding for maintenance.

I honestly don't have a preference over either milage-based or sequential exits.  But I could see where a motorist would get confused seeing an Exit 70 at the BEGINNING of a highway when they're used to seeing exit 1 (I doubt many tourists are aware that US 6 continues past the Bourne rotary.)  Most of the opposition is probably just people being crotchety and not being open to change.  It would be like all of a sudden changing the colors of the T lines, people are used to things being a certain way, especially in a NIMBY-centric region such as the Cape.

Forgive me if this post comes across as noob-ish, this is my first post.

I've noticed that too, but change is coming.

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on January 17, 2017, 08:38:29 PM
Cross-posted from another thread.

Bids are scheduled to be opened on the US 6 sign replacement on Tuesday, January 24th.  As it is only a panels replacement project (no support work), new BGSes and route markers should be in by the end of this year.
Looks like the bid announcement has now been delayed until Feb. 7.

roadman

Bids for the US 6 sign replacement project were opened today (Tuesday, February 7th).  Liddell Brothers of Halifax, MA is the apparent low bidder.

bob7374

According to the MassDOT project listing, the Notice to Proceed was given today (April 7) for the US 6 sign replacement project. The page did not list a completion date. Still anticipated by the end of the year?

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on April 07, 2017, 11:25:52 AM
According to the MassDOT project listing, the Notice to Proceed was given today (April 7) for the US 6 sign replacement project. The page did not list a completion date. Still anticipated by the end of the year?
Unlikely.  Per the bid documents, the project duration is 540 days from the NTP date.  Additionally, the project has work restrictions during the summer months (Memorial Day to Labor Day) - this is SOP for ALL work on Cape Cod.

bob7374

Got a chance to drive to Cape Cod to check out any progress on the US 6/Mid-Cape Highway Sign Replacement project. There has been completed, perhaps almost 2/3 finished. There are new signs from Exit 2 in Sandwich:

To Exit 9 in Dennis:

Since I didn't have a webpage to post all the photos, I created one. Visit the New US 6 in Mass. Photo Gallery to see all I've posted up to now:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/us6photos.html

DJStephens

Amazing that two lane section still hasn't been double barrelled.  Remember it in the seventies, last on the cape in 1990.   Yes a playground for rich "nimby's".   Excellent pictures, thanks for sharing.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: DJStephens on February 03, 2018, 07:50:56 PM
Amazing that two lane section still hasn't been double barrelled.  Remember it in the seventies, last on the cape in 1990.   Yes a playground for rich "nimby's".   Excellent pictures, thanks for sharing.
How can they tolerate all the noise from summer stop-and-go traffic? That, IMO is worse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.