News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnati27

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 05, 2016, 02:44:38 PM
Quote from: kkt on April 05, 2016, 01:43:24 PM
Quote from: Doctor Whom on April 04, 2016, 10:01:27 PM
Quote"And law enforcement says it helps them identify when somebody is out of place."
That's an excellent reason not to have it.

:clap:

Isn't there a song lyric about a corrupt small-town cop that goes something like "I'd like to see 'em try to get by me with their outta state license plates!".  Google fails, but I remember it pretty well. 

Putting the county on the plate just extends the same opportunity for favoritism to local law enforcement.

Such also means that if someone moves within the sate but to a different county; they may (since I've never resided in a state that places county names on plates, I'm only speculating) be forced to change their license plate(s) to one(s) that bears their present county residence.  An additional hassle IMHO.
When we had the county names on our plates in Ohio, if you moved to a different county within the state, it was just a matter of getting the new county name sticker and overlaying the old one. Now, we use county number stickers instead. I liked it better when we had the county names, but I do enjoy the challenge of knowing the county numbers.

jwolfer

Quote"And law enforcement says it helps them identify when somebody is out of place."

Isn't there a song lyric about a corrupt small-town cop that goes something like "I'd like to see 'em try to get by me with their outta state license plates!".  Google fails, but I remember it pretty well. 

Putting the county on the plate just extends the same opportunity for favoritism to local law enforcement.

Such also means that if someone moves within the sate but to a different county; they may (since I've never resided in a state that places county names on plates, I'm only speculating) be forced to change their license plate(s) to one(s) that bears their present county residence.  An additional hassle IMHO.
In Florida they don't make you change .. I have had Duval tags since moving to Clay in 2012.

In the past new tags were issued yearly so it was changed.. But that was back before names were used .. It was numbers.. Based on 1930s population.

Unlike some other states tags are issued by County tax collectors office not state. So if the dealer got your tags it was from where you bought car.. Money would go to.home county

SD Mapman

At least for us, you don't have to change when you move from county to county, so the same family could have a car with a "1" plate (registered in Minnehaha) and a car with a "9" plate (registered in Lawrence). The county number just says what county the car was registered in, although that's usually the same as the county of residence (unless your profession requires you to move around in-state frequently).

I like knowing where everyone registered their car. Usually the speeders/reckless drivers in our area are "15"s (Butte).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

cl94

Counties being on license plates amuses me because New York hasn't had any indicator of county on their plates for 25 years, and even then it was a three-letter code, of which there were hundreds that weren't always easy to identify.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Story today on NJ.com regarding NJ's license plates thru the years.  http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2016/04/nj_license_plates_through_the_years_from_leather_to_the_latest_photos.html#incart_river_home

The 1st license plates authorized in the 1900's were self-made, often from leather.

For a 70+ year period, since 1944, NJ has only had 3 standard designs - a cream color w/ black lettering, blue with cream lettering, and a yellowish-hue with black lettering.  They're extremely rare to find, but a few cars still sport those old designs. (Editing to say since 1959...the story and the picture collection seem to differ on this fact)

For several decades, the first letter noted the county you were from, but that practice was abandoned in the late 1950's.

vtk

I was in WV last week and saw a plate that said DOH PHOTO. I wondered if it was a photographer for the Department of Highways, or maybe a guy who likes Homer Simpson and taking pictures. Also, that's 8 letters; does WV have 8-letter plates, or am I misremembering and it was spelled with an F?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

SP Cook

WV allows 8 letters and DOHPHOTO shows up as taken.

jeffandnicole

A rare double silhouette license plate in NJ.

signalman

^ Ooh! That's an error.  I'd love to have that in my collection.  The format is supposed to be 12-3 (state map) GE.

1995hoo

This was just in front of me at the gas station about 15 minutes ago. She said it's a new one. Commemorates the hundredth anniversary of the US acquiring the islands.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

catch22

Michigan House votes to put limits on specialty license plates:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2016/05/12/house-votes-put-limits-specialty-license-plates/84296018/

Still has to be acted on by the Senate.  It would not affect the existing college/university, veteran or personalized plates.

SP Cook

USVI:

Assume that this is someone related to the territory's representation in Congress, or a student or person in the military, as otherwise a person would be required to obtain plates from the state they have moved to.  The cost of shipping a vehicle to the mainland and back just for a tourist time would be rediculious.

Michigan:

I find it hard to believe that the cost of making up a new plate is anywhere within 5% of the figure quoted. 

Most states have a threshold for special plates.  A group must have X deposits in hand before the DMV will accept the program. 

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DevalDragon

gonealookin

Nevada is dumping the standard "Sunset" plate in favor of a new design.

QuoteThe plate was designed to reflect the unique diversity of the Silver State, from the dry desert landscape of Red Rock Canyon in Clark County, to the rich, green forest of Lake Tahoe and the stunning majesty of the Ruby Mountains. The base color of the plate symbolizes the iconic clear blue Nevada sky and wide open spaces Nevada is known for worldwide.

Ummmmm, OK.  It makes me think "Buy a new generic state Department of Tourism slogan ("A World Within, A State Apart"), get a new generic license plate design for free!"  "Home Means Nevada" is the title of our somewhat corny state song.

kkt

Remember when a license plate was just to hold the number for your car, not carry tourism advertising for your state or an artistic scene?

cl94

I'm waiting for New York's to start saying State of Opportunity
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Pink Jazz

Considering that Arizona is running out of Bxxyyyy plates (x being a letter and y being a digit), I personally think Arizona should introduce a new design for the Cxxyyyy plates.

machias

Quote from: cl94 on November 02, 2016, 09:06:53 PM
I'm waiting for New York's to start saying State of Opportunity

You have a very good point there. I've been wondering if they're going to do anything about standardizing passenger plates to one color scheme. The EXX-NNN plates in this area are peeling apart like crazy and it's just weird having both white/blue and yellow/blue plates as standard issue in the Empire State. I wouldn't be surprised to see State of Opportunity plates.

epzik8

Surprised no one has posted the new Maryland general issue yet. It seems like those I talked to on this forum don't like how the flag looks on it, but from what I'm seen, every Maryland resident who's gotten this plate so far would say otherwise. This plate's letter-number series picks up where the War of 1812 plates left off.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

TXtoNJ

Quote from: epzik8 on November 04, 2016, 01:19:27 PM
Surprised no one has posted the new Maryland general issue yet. It seems like those I talked to on this forum don't like how the flag looks on it, but from what I'm seen, every Maryland resident who's gotten this plate so far would say otherwise. This plate's letter-number series picks up where the War of 1812 plates left off.

Cops will hate those. Expect a more generic alternative in 2019.

roadfro

Quote from: gonealookin on November 02, 2016, 06:02:11 PM
Nevada is dumping the standard "Sunset" plate in favor of a new design.

QuoteThe plate was designed to reflect the unique diversity of the Silver State, from the dry desert landscape of Red Rock Canyon in Clark County, to the rich, green forest of Lake Tahoe and the stunning majesty of the Ruby Mountains. The base color of the plate symbolizes the iconic clear blue Nevada sky and wide open spaces Nevada is known for worldwide.

Ummmmm, OK.  It makes me think "Buy a new generic state Department of Tourism slogan ("A World Within, A State Apart"), get a new generic license plate design for free!"

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard about it.

I have never liked the Sunset design introduced in 2001. I always thought it was an inferior design to the silver Bighorn Sheep design from 1983, which I think did a much better job of representing different elements of the whole state and was a more detailed design. This new "Home Means Nevada" plate seems to be a bit more representative, but it is also still a bit simplistic.

Quote"Home Means Nevada" is the title of our somewhat corny state song.

Corny?!? You can't be a native Nevadan... :)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

adt1982

mgk920

Quote from: adt1982 on November 15, 2016, 01:21:21 PM
Illinois has unveiled a new plate design.

http://www.sj-r.com/news/20161115/new-illinois-license-plate-design-revealed

At least the state name is much easier to read, it took me a week or so to realize that the current design was the then new regular issue Illinois tag when I first started seeing cars with them here in NE Wisconsin when they were first issued.

IMHO, this is an evolutionary design change, sort of like when Wisconsin started replacing its 'red letter/number' plates with the now current design back in 1999.  I'll give it a 'thumbs up'.

Mike

7/8

Ontario plates in the range of CASA to CATR (according to this site) were produced by Waldale in Nova Scotia, using their distinctive dies. The first time I saw one was on a project car being built at my university, so I figured it was fake with incorrect dies (though still looking decent). But then I started seeing them on actual cars, which let me to do some searching. New plates are back to regular Ontario dies.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.