I-64 and I-77 split at Beckley WV

Started by hbelkins, May 21, 2012, 01:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP Cook

Quote from: seicer on July 25, 2017, 11:12:47 PM
It was built for the provision for but never implemented. The Turnpike did have ramp tolls after it was rebuilt that was later removed.

This is correct.  When the Turnpike was paid off but they wanted to continue tolls forever, the legislature made them take the "side tolls" off, except for the connection to Corridor L.  Actually the Corridor L toll was taken off for about a week, but the corrupt turnpike administration threw a fit about it and the legislature change the law. 

The idea is that mostly locals paid the "side tolls" while the "mainline tolls" screwed over tourists and truckers.

hbelkins

The Corridor L toll is meant to gouge those who exit I-77 at Beckley to use US 19 as a shortcut to I-79 and points north, and vice versa (using US 19 to enter I-77 southbound). I'd imagine locals don't use that exit. I wonder if completion of the East Beckley Bypass (in its aborted, apparently permanent configuration not to stretch all the way to Corridor L) will siphon even more traffic out of that toll booth?

I will admit to using the toll plaza on my last trip through Beckley. I was in a bit of a hurry to get to my hotel on Harper Road (WV 3) and didn't want to have to sit through the traffic lights on US 19 and WV 16. I knew the shunpike route but opted to let my E-ZPass pay the toll.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on July 26, 2017, 07:59:30 PM
The Corridor L toll is meant to gouge those who exit I-77 at Beckley to use US 19 as a shortcut to I-79 and points north, and vice versa (using US 19 to enter I-77 southbound). I'd imagine locals don't use that exit. I wonder if completion of the East Beckley Bypass (in its aborted, apparently permanent configuration not to stretch all the way to Corridor L) will siphon even more traffic out of that toll booth?

I will admit to using the toll plaza on my last trip through Beckley. I was in a bit of a hurry to get to my hotel on Harper Road (WV 3) and didn't want to have to sit through the traffic lights on US 19 and WV 16. I knew the shunpike route but opted to let my E-ZPass pay the toll.

There is no toll for the Corridor L interchange if you have a WV-issued E-ZPass. It's an easy way to avoid traffic on Robert C. Byrd Drive and Eisenhower Drive, and even if you have to pay the toll, 40 cents is pretty negligible.

hbelkins

Quote from: Bitmapped on July 26, 2017, 10:18:41 PM
There is no toll for the Corridor L interchange if you have a WV-issued E-ZPass. It's an easy way to avoid traffic on Robert C. Byrd Drive and Eisenhower Drive, and even if you have to pay the toll, 40 cents is pretty negligible.

I'm pretty sure I got charged a toll when I went through, and my E-ZPass is from WV. I'll have to look at my next statement to see for sure, as I didn't use any other toll plazas on the turnpike on my most recent trip.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.