News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

A "like post" button

Started by bugo, January 13, 2014, 03:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I once suggested a Karma feature, where you could give positive Karma to a poster.  In retrospect, this was a bad idea.  Instead, how about a like feature, like Facebook and many other websites have?  I often see posts that I agree with, but I don't want to reply to just say "+1" or "I agree".  This would also let a poster know that other posters had read their post and that some of them agree with it.  This would be a very useful feature and would be a positive addition to the forum.

Brandon

NO!I've seen that in action on a certain political blog I used to frequent.  It helped destroy the community there, IMHO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

How about a 'teabagger post' button?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

corco

Eh, Im not sure. I like the idea on the surface, but then when I think about it not so much. I loathe the idea of a dislike button. If somebody says something you disagree with or can disprove or dont like- tell them that and have a discussion. My fear on a like button is similar- turns things into a popularity contest. People will inevitably begin judging the quality of posts by the number of likes- on a topic as semipolitical as roads, a like button is likely to turn into a passive aggressive ideological battle that doesnt actually further the discussion.

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on January 13, 2014, 03:22:33 PM

We really don't need to know what you do in your spare time, SPUI.  Please, it's TMFI!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Zeffy

Quote from: bugo on January 13, 2014, 03:14:00 PM
I once suggested a Karma feature, where you could give positive Karma to a poster.  In retrospect, this was a bad idea.  Instead, how about a like feature, like Facebook and many other websites have?  I often see posts that I agree with, but I don't want to reply to just say "+1" or "I agree".  This would also let a poster know that other posters had read their post and that some of them agree with it.  This would be a very useful feature and would be a positive addition to the forum.

+1

No, but really, I've seen this on sites I frequently visit and think it's a good idea. I know on vBulletin / IPB [Invision Power Board] BBS you were able to give other uses reputation for a post - which wasn't the worst idea, but here, that may be a little debatable.

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

formulanone

I think the Like Button waters down discussion. Having a Dislike Button to go with it would dumb it down even further. I moderate a board with a Like button; some folks never use it, some use it sparingly, and there's many that just logroll the system by backscratching each other despite a rather average (to poor) post quality.

The rookies gravitate towards the ones with the most likes, and maybe 25% of those in the Most Likes categories deserve it, in my opinion.

Quote from: NE2 on January 13, 2014, 03:22:33 PM

It always comes with a string attached.

hotdogPi

If there is only an upvote button and no downvote button, some bad ones will be really high if people think it's good.

If there is also a downvote button, people might spam downvotes.

Quote from: Zeffy on January 13, 2014, 04:01:54 PM
+1

+2
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

hbelkins

Just upload one of the zillion "like" graphics to your site or your Flickr/Imgur/Whatever account and link to it. Problem solved.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

on_wisconsin

A "like button", if it is implemented like on SkyscraperCity.com, would be an awesome idea. On SSC it is a completely ancillary feature and does not hide posts or give anyone "karma". Also there is no dislike feature and members who like a post have there user name posted at the bottom of said liked post (only 5 names are listed, any more are listed as: "and # more like this post").

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

sammi

Quote from: on_wisconsin on January 13, 2014, 11:08:21 PM
On SSC it is a completely ancillary feature and does not hide posts or give anyone "karma".

There is, actually. Sort of. They call it Likes (Received). Example (again, I edited the image to remove my shitty username, which is why it's not linked there)

rickmastfan67

There are some mods out there that could bring this kind of function to this forum.  Unfortunately, I don't think it would be possible to add an 'unlike' feature too as I can't find any mod that does that.

The bad part is that the one mod that looks like will work the best for us here is a paid mod (well, it has a free version, but that version is neutered).  Also, you can only like the entire thread with the free version, as liking individual posts is only possible in the pay version. And I can't see Alex agreeing to a pay mod at this time.

This was the mod that I found that could have worked the best: SMF Likes Lite

DaBigE

Quote from: corco on January 13, 2014, 03:28:40 PM
Eh, Im not sure. I like the idea on the surface, but then when I think about it not so much. I loathe the idea of a dislike button. If somebody says something you disagree with or can disprove or dont like- tell them that and have a discussion. My fear on a like button is similar- turns things into a popularity contest. People will inevitably begin judging the quality of posts by the number of likes- on a topic as semipolitical as roads, a like button is likely to turn into a passive aggressive ideological battle that doesnt actually further the discussion.

I completely agree. To an extent, I feel the same way with having a post count. Quantity doesn't always equal quality, and high numbers only seem to stroke egos that would be better left untouched. I'd rather see a "I agree" button if anything.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

1995hoo

I really don't like the idea of a "dislike" button. I think if you disagree with someone's comment enough to be motivated to give some indication of it, you should give a reason why you feel that way (preferably more than just "yawn" or "fuck you," but then, if someone posts that sort of reply, it just damages his own credibility).

I don't really see much reason for "like" or "dislike" buttons because I don't think it's hard to assess the value of a post. It's sort of like perusing the reviews on Amazon.com when considering whether to buy a product. They do let people vote on whether reviews are helpful, but I don't need the vote count because I think it's easy to determine which reviews are useful and which are written by grade-school kids as a school assignment. Plus, the people who vote something helpful might be doing so for reasons that are of little interest to you (an example might be if somebody's review focuses on why a stereo component is convenient to operate but doesn't discuss sound quality–if your focus is on the sound, that review won't help you).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

I hate the idea.  come up with something original, as opposed to being a part of the nodding sheep circle-jerk culture.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 14, 2014, 09:57:17 AM
I hate the idea.  come up with something original, as opposed to being a part of the nodding sheep circle-jerk culture.

:thumbsup:  :-D
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

The High Plains Traveler

"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Takumi

Just use this picture.

You're welcome.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Big John

vdeane

Do the pictures mean that we're horsing around now?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ET21

If I want the "like" button, I'll use Facebook
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jeffandnicole

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 27, 2014, 01:41:15 PM
Quote from: ET21 on January 27, 2014, 01:23:14 PM
If I want the "like" button, I'll use Facebook

Like.

Saw a billboard the other day as I was leaving Dallas at the airport:

"It's not called "Like" Field." (in reference to Love Field)

jbnv

I've seen thumbs-up/down work well on one forum and work badly on another. The difference between the two: Anonymity. The latter actually created a "spy tool" so that you can see who gave you which finger. Predictable result: Lots of retaliatory repping in both directions. And it only reinforced the impression that the particular site was dominated by an elite clique.

I'd like to have thumbs-up/down here, as long as the fingering remains anonymous.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.