News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cannot update birthday on Profile

Started by snowc, September 13, 2021, 05:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowc

I cannot get the birthday updated on my profile.
It says 0001-01-01 when updating by clicking save changes.
I tried other browsers, went out and in on my computer and turned off adblocker.
Is there a problem with AARoads fourm today @Alps @SSOWorld @Scot5114 @Alex?
If you can please @admin s to update it per request at my PM.
Thanks  :rolleyes:

renegade

Not changing for me, either ... also says N/A under "Age" on my profile page. 

Safari 14 with adblocker
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

jlam

Scott5114

Last I checked, we have no idea why it's not working. Most likely a bug that will have to be fixed upstream.

Also, putting @ in front of someone's name doesn't do anything on this forum (it doesn't send the user an alert or anything). That's a Twitter and Discord thing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

renegade

Age is nothing but a number ... is it so important that we have to display it?
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 13, 2021, 07:09:26 PM
Also, putting @ in front of someone's name doesn't do anything on this forum (it doesn't send the user an alert or anything). That's a Twitter and Discord thing.
Another forum I participate in (that uses XenForo) does send a notification when mentioning another user with @. Maybe it's a thing that SMF doesn't support.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: renegade on September 13, 2021, 10:12:02 PM
Age is nothing but a number ... is it so important that we have to display it?

Yes. Change MY mind.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 13, 2021, 10:45:29 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on September 13, 2021, 10:18:05 PM
Maybe it's a thing that SMF doesn't support.

Correct.

Support for this will come when SMF 2.1 is released.  But that is still some time off in the future.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 13, 2021, 07:09:26 PM
Last I checked, we have no idea why it's not working. Most likely a bug that will have to be fixed upstream.

Odds are upstream.  I can't even change mine over at Travel Mapping's forum.

EDIT: Is an issue with SMF 2.0.18: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=576665.0

hbelkins

I don't think using the @ in front of a person's name carries the expectation that they will be tagged the way they are on social media. Rather, it's a way to get someone's attention or to let it be known you are replying to them. I know SafeSpeeder recently replied to one of my posts with an @hbelkins notation before his comments.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2021, 10:44:31 AM
I don't think using the @ in front of a person's name carries the expectation that they will be tagged the way they are on social media. Rather, it's a way to get someone's attention or to let it be known you are replying to them. I know SafeSpeeder recently replied to one of my posts with an @hbelkins notation before his comments.

The OP uses four in a row, and not as a reply to anyone (since it's starting the thread).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

snowc

Quote from: 1 on September 14, 2021, 10:50:43 AM

The OP uses four in a row, and not as a reply to anyone (since it's starting the thread).
Correct. Like @1, I thought this would ping the admins like users on Discord or Twitter.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: snowc on September 14, 2021, 11:25:42 AM
Quote from: 1 on September 14, 2021, 10:50:43 AM

Correct. Like @1, I thought this would ping the admins like users on Discord or Twitter.

Well, as I mentioned above, they have added this support in SMF 2.1.  It's still in RC status, thus, we aren't going to upgrading to it anytime soon, unless the final 2.1 build is released.  And then I'd have to work on a theme for it first. lol.

SkyPesos

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 14, 2021, 04:30:23 AM

Correct.

Support for this will come when SMF 2.1 is released.  But that is still some time off in the future.
I was looking at SMF 2.1's proposed changes list out of curiosity, and found out that they're adding an upvotes system. Not sure what the general opinion towards that is like here though.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 15, 2021, 12:31:28 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 14, 2021, 04:30:23 AM

Correct.

I was looking at SMF 2.1's proposed changes list out of curiosity, and found out that they're adding an upvotes system. Not sure what the general opinion towards that is like here though.

As with the Karma system, there might be some stuff we keep turned off when we move to 2.1.  We haven't had the discussion yet though, since I think it's still probably a year away for 2.1 being released.

1995hoo

I don't understand the desire, much less the need, for a system of "upvoting" or "liking" posts or giving users "karma" or "reputation points." I think most of us can tell when a post is good or bad, and most of us can also tell which users are consistently annoying or trolling, without needing the aid of a popularity contest. Plus the couple of frequent posters who would be most likely to get bad votes (if permitted) or else who would get very few positive votes are the type of people who couldn't care less.

To me, it's sort of like reading product reviews on Amazon: I don't need other people's votes to tell me whether a particular review is useful. (Also, sometimes, my reason for considering a product might be different from other people's. I once bought a particular electrical outlet for the kitchen because it was rated to grip tightly, which was what I wanted because a wall wart type plug kept falling out of the old one.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

The possibility of downvotes would likely stifle most people's thoughts. In fact, this is part of the reason why I switched from Imgur to Flickr after just one day.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

I'm positive we discussed that "feature" once before, but I didn't find the discussion via a couple of searches. If I can think of what I may have said in the previous discussion, I'll link it here. I'm sure it was something similar to what I said above, though, as my thoughts haven't changed. Another forum to which I belong, but where I seldom post these days, used to have a "reputation points" feature, but the moderators wound up scrapping it because they felt it didn't offer any benefit. Among other reasons, it tacitly implies that new users' posts are not useful, which is not necessarily true. Sure, established users may have earned credibility from their participation and their history of useful posts (though of course it's equally true that established users might have earned a bad reputation!), but that doesn't mean a new user might not make good posts that can be judged on their content.

snowc

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 15, 2021, 07:57:42 AM
I'm positive we discussed that "feature" once before, but I didn't find the discussion via a couple of searches. If I can think of what I may have said in the previous discussion, I'll link it here. I'm sure it was something similar to what I said above, though, as my thoughts haven't changed. Another forum to which I belong, but where I seldom post these days, used to have a "reputation points" feature, but the moderators wound up scrapping it because they felt it didn't offer any benefit. Among other reasons, it tacitly implies that new users' posts are not useful, which is not necessarily true. Sure, established users may have earned credibility from their participation and their history of useful posts (though of course it's equally true that established users might have earned a bad reputation!), but that doesn't mean a new user might not make good posts that can be judged on their content.
@1995hoo, I think we talked about liking something, but that requires the use of XenForo.  :no:

1995hoo

I found the prior thread by searching for posts with my username containing the words "reviews" and "Amazon":

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11356.msg270924#msg270924

hbelkins

Of course, I'm the type of devil's advocate who would actively go for downvotes.  :-D

At least, this forum doesn't curate according to an algorithm. You see everything that gets posted, unlike Facebook or Twitter where you don't actually see everything from the people you're friends with or follow.

The whole "reaction" thing needs some thought. Facebook has actively stated it has no plans to add a "dislike" button, which leads to an unintended use of the "laugh" button. I find myself using it more for "this is the most ridiculous thing I've seen so far today" and less for "this is humorous."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on September 15, 2021, 03:00:56 PM
The whole "reaction" thing needs some thought. Facebook has actively stated it has no plans to add a "dislike" button, which leads to an unintended use of the "laugh" button. I find myself using it more for "this is the most ridiculous thing I've seen so far today" and less for "this is humorous."

It can also be used to identify the a**hole... ;D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Rothman on September 15, 2021, 03:03:09 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 15, 2021, 03:00:56 PM

It can also be used to identify the a**hole... ;D
Reserved for posts from the next marf, dzlsabe, or safespeeder on this forum  :-D

Alps

The consensus has been and likely will continue to be no ratings.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.