City besides New York, that has most discontinuous streets

Started by roadman65, January 18, 2022, 12:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

New York City, has 50 blocks of discontinuous streets between 58th Street and 110th Streets, due to Central Park. Then you have many others scattered through the city as well.  So the total is too much.

What other cities that are out there have plenty of discontinuous streets in two or three segments due to a lake, a building, or just undeveloped?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bruce

Seattle has a ton due to Lake Union, the Ship Canal, I-5, and all the hills.

paulthemapguy

Chicago has a bajillion (scientifically speaking).  Streets are named based on how they fit on the grid. Lavergne Avenue, for example, is 5000W, no matter how many times it starts, stops, starts, and stops again.  7100S is always 71st Street, regardless of gaps, etc. I imagine there are many other cities that function this way, for their numbered streets at the very least.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jeffandnicole

Juniper Street in Philly has an incredible 13 (+/-1) separate, non-continous segments between Pattison Ave and I-676.  Numerous other examples like this occur within Philly.

SkyPesos

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 18, 2022, 12:26:24 AM
Chicago has a bajillion (scientifically speaking).  Streets are named based on how they fit on the grid. Lavergne Avenue, for example, is 5000W, no matter how many times it starts, stops, starts, and stops again.  7100S is always 71st Street, regardless of gaps, etc. I imagine there are many other cities that function this way, for their numbered streets at the very least.
There are also examples of a street changing its numbered name from moving out of its grid position. For example, 86th St in Indianapolis changes to 82nd St at the White River bridge because of its curvature to the south, paralleling I-465's curve (and a new, disconnected 86th St starts north of I-465).

oscar

Arlington, Virginia has too many to count, with the street grid often broken up for no obvious reason, plus some streets broken up by freeways, bike trails, parks, etc. This often confuses out-of-town motorists, who at first think they're dealing with an easy-to-navigate standard street grid, until all the dead ends disabuse them of that notion.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TheHighwayMan3561

Minneapolis has plenty of broken streets due to the lakes, Minnehaha Creek, and I-35W.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

Quote from: oscar on January 18, 2022, 12:31:55 AM
Arlington, Virginia, has too many to count, with the street grid often broken up for no obvious reason, plus some streets broken up by freeways, bike trails, parks, etc. This often confuses out-of-town motorists, who at first think they're dealing with an easy-to-navigate standard street grid, until all the dead ends disabuse them of that notion.

The primary reason for Arlington's discontinuity–which is true of named streets as well as numbered streets–is, like with Chicago mentioned further up the thread, there is one authorized name per letter of the alphabet per syllabic alphabet. That is, in the area with three-syllable street names, a named street starting with "B" must be named "Buchanan." Leads to a lot of discontinuity. Back in the days before sat-navs and online mapping tools, it led to a mega-nuisance if you forgot to ask that hot girl which Buchanan Street....
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jdbx

I think this is pretty common in any city that is built on a grid plan where streets are expected to have a particular number or name based on where they are within that grid.  An example that comes to mind for me quickly is Phoenix.  There are many, many, many discontinuous segments of streets with the same name due to the fact that the name for any stretch of road is determined by its position with the grid.

MATraveler128

There are a lot of discontinuous streets in Baltimore. I don't know how many they have, but they are real common there.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

FixThe74Sign

Indy has a ton. For the most part, each longitude and latitude line has a street name for it, and if a piece of pavement is close enough, it gets that name. As far as house numbers go, the city uses two streets to bisect the city for N, S, E, or W X Street, and every mile of road gets 1000 numbers to it.

Here is an example of 31st St. Across the whole city, its broken into 11 different segments for many different reasons.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8125997,-86.1686222,16z?hl=en

jp the roadgeek

Boston is just a cf when it comes to discontinuous streets.  Boyleston St exists along MA 9 to the center of Brookline, disappears, re-emerges near Fenway Park and works its way downtown.  Then, there's another Boyleston St in Jamaica Plain near the Sam Adams Brewery.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MATraveler128

Another city of note is Allentown, PA. There are a lot of discontinuous streets there too, mainly between Jordan Creek and Trexler Park. One of them, Gordon St, is separated by Muhlenberg College Campus.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

US20IL64

Phoenix Metro, but mostly the city grid continues in the west valley. Even to Buckeye.
Grid streets appear quite far from Central Av.

And in Chicago, some city street appear in suburbs, even if not same address system. Most of the city grid continues in the southern suburbs.

Mr_Northside

Pittsburgh's got a bunch.   We also have the streets that become stairs up/down a hillside, then become streets again (all with a continuous street name, including the city steps)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

JayhawkCO

The Denver metro has a bunch too.  The street that I live on has 26 different segments as far as I can count via Google Maps.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 18, 2022, 02:50:58 PM
Pittsburgh's got a bunch.   We also have the streets that become stairs up/down a hillside, then become streets again (all with a continuous street name, including the city steps)

Do they call those "step streets"? There are some of those in New York (several in Bay Ridge, for example) that are called by that term.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 18, 2022, 02:50:58 PM

Same with Seattle, with 650 all mapped here: https://faculty.washington.edu/smott/SeattleStairs.html

We also have a different kind of "stairstep street", where the name carries over after being nudged by the grid (example: Garfield Street).

US 89

Lots of them in Salt Lake and vicinity, where a lot of streets are just plain numbered from a grid system. For example, within the Salt Lake Valley there are at least five 2300 East streets, eight 700 West streets, and ten 1000 East streets.

This is common enough that it's actually very rare for two same-named streets at opposite ends of the valley to be connected unbroken - even if they happen to be a major arterial. State and Redwood are really the only two to cross the whole valley as a continuous road under one name. 1300 East comes close, but it shifts west and becomes Richmond for a bit in the Sugar House area.

To make matters worse, a lot of the same-numbered streets don't necessarily line up with each other. Most of the ones closer to downtown Salt Lake City are numbered from a direct measurement of the Salt Lake City downtown grid (1 block = 100 address units = 0.15 miles). The ones farther out are often based on PLSS section-line grids, where a mile can be either 600, 700, or 800 address units depending on where in the valley you look.

wanderer2575

Many side streets that cross the border between the cities of Southfield and Lathrup Village, Michigan do not go through... just because.

For example:  https://goo.gl/maps/767vTEtjpzfPoZru7

SEWIGuy

Green Bay only has one street that exists for significant length (more than a block or two) on either side of the Fox River - Mason Street.

skluth

St Louis and environs have a large number of discontinuous streets thanks to a few rail corridors, modern freeways, several parks, and especially the French long lots following the curve of the Mississippi River. Some of the breaks in continuity are really strange, like Union Rd and Weber Rd meeting then both continuing east of Morganford a couple blocks (Union) and about a half mile (Weber) north of the intersection. The metro is full of breaks like this (Olive St/Blvd, Rock Hill Rd, Watson Rd).

GaryV

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 18, 2022, 09:50:46 PM
Many side streets that cross the border between the cities of Southfield and Lathrup Village, Michigan do not go through... just because ... Lathrup Village.
FIFY

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 19, 2022, 10:47:51 AM
Green Bay only has one street that exists for significant length (more than a block or two) on either side of the Fox River - Mason Street.

OTOH, Green Bay has quite a few major north-south streets that go for significant distances in the city and into its mainly south suburbs (ie, Webster Ave, Bellvue Ave , Monroe Ave/ broadway (de pere), Packerland Dr (and its extensions), Ashland Ave, Huron Rd/Bay Settlement Rd, etc.

Mike

SD Mapman

Quote from: jdbx on January 18, 2022, 01:01:47 PM
I think this is pretty common in any city that is built on a grid plan where streets are expected to have a particular number or name based on where they are within that grid.  An example that comes to mind for me quickly is Phoenix.  There are many, many, many discontinuous segments of streets with the same name due to the fact that the name for any stretch of road is determined by its position with the grid.
Omaha, too. The road names downtown will just show up in some random dead-end subdivision 12 miles to the west and then disappear again.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.