JPI's Central Pennsylvania Road Meet Official Announcement Sat. April 9, 2016

Started by jpi, December 21, 2015, 08:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpi

We are now down to 36 hours until the start time :sombrero:, just printed out the meet tour and a hand out of the Mt Rose Ave interchange design, I will also have 2016 TN road maps with me. So far the weather has not changed for Saturday, still snow showers in the morning with showers in the afternoon and wind so similair weather of my last meet :banghead:, at least it has not gotton worse.

Steph and I will be on the road most of the day tomorrow since we are driving up from middle TN, if anybody needs to get in touch with me my # is 615-519-3686, I will be doing most of the driving but should have a good signal and you can private message me too, I may not respond right away but as soon as I can. Despite the weather I am very much looking forward to seeing everyone and have a good time on Saturday!  :bigass:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

19 and a half hours until the meet. The problem for me is that I haven't decided on a solid route yet. But I'm sure I'll be there, with my father.

oscar

Watch the weather forecast. Weather Cnannel is right now forecasting 3-5 inches of snow in York, much of it falling in the morning (when I would be driving up there from the D.C. area) but some in early afternoon. This might affect people driving to York tomorrow morning, more than those who will arrive there this evening,
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

74/171FAN

I am kinda looking forward to a snow road meet honestly.  I am still prepared to be bundled up as usual.  I do remember one year where Richmond, VA, got barely any snow and then randomly got some in April so I am not completely surprised with the weather.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

briantroutman

NWS is saying Rain/Snow, and their accumulation prediction is 1-2" during the daytime hours tomorrow. I doubt we'll see any snow laying on roads, although with the winds (10-15 mph with higher gusts), it will feel quite cold.

Bitmapped

I'm going to pass on this one. The I-68 corridor is supposed to get 4"-6" snow tomorrow and driving across the mountains when it's snowing isn't particularly fun.

hbelkins

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 08, 2016, 10:32:50 PM
I'm going to pass on this one. The I-68 corridor is supposed to get 4"-6" snow tomorrow and driving across the mountains when it's snowing isn't particularly fun.

Is there any month in the year in which Garrett County DOESN'T get snow?  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

Quote from: Brandon on April 08, 2016, 09:41:44 PM
3-5 inches?  That's not all that much.

Methinks the fact that it's April lowers people's tolerance.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Duke87 on April 08, 2016, 11:21:29 PM

Even as a Minnesotan, absolutely. I remember a couple years ago having some issues with a snowstorm on Tax Day. Got stuck in a parking lot, at a stop sign, and slid past my driveway. I was absolutely beyond livid. I don't think I would have reacted the same way if this had happened in January.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on April 08, 2016, 11:21:29 PM

Also depends on where one lives.  3-5 inches is nothing in Rochester, but in Albany, it's a recipe for a frustrating commute no matter what time of year it happens.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

After my last post, Weather Channel's York snow forecast for today bounced up overnight  to 5-8 inches, then dropped all the way down to "mix of rain and show" by dawn. Good thing I waited until dawn before deciding whether to go to the meet, which went off with little rain, and little or no snow. It was windy and bitterly cold for early April (where is global warming when you need it?), but that was manageable. 

Good meet, with high turnout.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

briantroutman

Here's the group pic as captured by my camera. I enjoyed meeting all of you there!

noelbotevera

Aaaayyyyyyyy, chocolate bars are cool!

Anyways, it seems a ton of people got separated. We almost completed the full meet until we learned Jason and a couple other people decided to change their agenda and went to the single arch McDonalds sign in Columbia, and we were lagging behind by half an hour. The amazing thing is that we somehow missed essentially nothing (I'm comfy with missing a single arch McDonalds, even if I die never seeing one), and made it to that Primanti Brothers before everyone else.

See ya'll at Shrewsbury. It was pretty fun.

74/171FAN

As I figured, I was barely in the picture :-o.  I also started a new thread on the closure of PA 662 in Fleetwood that affected the route northeast of Reading for anyone that followed PA 12.  I could not find an ending date on that so it my be closed for awhile, but thankfully PA 73 was in the area to easily get back to US 222.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Glad to see the Send Help sign make a reappearance.

I know most of the people in the photo, but not everyone. Will captions be forthcoming?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: hbelkins on April 10, 2016, 03:32:35 PM
Glad to see the Send Help sign make a reappearance.

I know most of the people in the photo, but not everyone. Will captions be forthcoming?

I second the request for captions for the photo. I didn't go (in session at school 245+ miles away), but I'd like to know who did.  :wave:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

jeffandnicole

Where's the snow???😄❄❄

As I had other commitments for the day, I was going to make it anyway. Then those commitments got uprooted because I had a rare April snow duty shift! Didn't exact do too much work, but the OT is decent.

Other than looking quite cold out there, hope everyone had a great time!

PHLBOS

My impromptu day-trip to/from Massachusetts on the preceding Friday (on an errand for my brother), which resulted in a late-night return, coupled with blowing snow in the Philly area (though no real resulting accumulation) that morning (when I would've left to head to York) essentially prevented my heading out there.  I hope everyone had a good time.

Quote from: briantroutman on April 09, 2016, 11:21:12 PM
Here's the group pic as captured by my camera. I enjoyed meeting all of you there!
Any chance that a caption (aka Who's Who?) will follow?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

noelbotevera

Trying to determine some names, but here's a rough list.

From left to right: Noel Vera, Brian Troutman, not sure for the people in the back, and person to the left of the large Send Help sign, Alex Vera (me), Pete (not sure of the last name), Valerie Deane, not sure, Jason Ilyes, not sure, not sure, Laura and (I believe) Michael (idk last names), not sure (person behind Laura - probably C. Patrick Zillacus?), Oscar Voss, not sure, Brandon Gorte, not sure, and I think Brian Reynolds.

Brandon

It was a very good time indeed, Jason!

As for me, I went from here via I-65 and I-74 to Cincy.  Then along the Appalachian Highway to Parkersburg, then along US-50 to Clarksburg.

Then it was up I-70 to I-68.

And on to Hagerstown for the night.  In the morning, I got to the end of I-70, and the start of I-83.

And on to York for the meet.  To be continued...
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Brandon

It was a great meet.  Here's another photo, most people are in the same locations.

The next day, after the meet, I clinched I-83 and went out via US-322.

Then PA-144 to I-99, and I-80 west, using I-76 though Akron to clinch that finally.

Then onto a rainy Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road.  At the Willowcreek Barrier on the Toll Road, I got behind some idiot from Minnesota with an E-Z pass in the E-Z Pass lane.  Took him five minutes to figure out he needed help.  Fortunately, for the morons out there, the ITR has credit card readers in those lanes.

Then I stopped to get fuel at the TA/BP at Exit 6 (Burr Street) on the Borman Expressway.  While I was there, fueling my vehicle, with the nozzle on and in the filler, some pigfuckin' hillbilly with a pickup truck with huge mud tires (your nephew would've loved seeing that one, Jason), and Illinois plates (what else?) did a u-turn into the gas station.  As he did so, he hit the gas on the wet pavement and fishtailed, nearly hitting my car!  He then speed off toward the expressway, toward Illinois.  Shouted after him, "Thanks for the near miss, asshole!"  I figure that was my welcome back to Chicagoland after such a serene drive out east with sane drivers.

Brandon

And, this was also an official Alanland meet when we went to the aptly named Goat-Path Expressway.  It was rush hour.

Of course, someone got zapped when he decided to go down to see the underside of the incomplete interchange we looked at.  That person shall remain nameless, but got zapped on the inner thigh while almost over what he thought was just a barbed wire fence.  A warning to the wise, there's a third wire there, and it's got a small charge running through it.

noelbotevera

Heard those cows moo at me, and I think they wanted an apple that we stored in the car. I also found a horse, goats, sheep, cows, and some birds. We called it a farm. I called it a farm and Alanland.

I hated that electric fence. It felt like I got kicked in the leg just with a simple tap. I actually looked behind me to make sure someone didn't kick me.

Also, it turns out the concrete used on an overpass embankment is sharp. Hurts my hands a lot when I descend down the embankment.

:-( :angry: Missed the original McDonalds sign! Wanted to see it, as that's probably the only single arch sign I'll see in my lifetime. Too bad that people gave up the agenda, and it turned out we just about finished the meet, but due a sudden change in plans, it seems that we threw in the towel and went to Primanti Brothers in York.

that crispy chicken sandwich was still delicious. it was huge though

I went through some amazing lighting on the Turnpike, saw Three Mile Island and drove across the Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge prematurely. Despite all our difficulties, it was a fun meet.

Now I have to hunker down for the PSSA's tomorrow.

cpzilliacus

Thanks for arranging this. 

The Goat Path was remarkable. 

Wonder if anyone has gone to jail as a result?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.