News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sign Collecting

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 12, 2016, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Someone just won a motherload of mini signs off e-bay
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

That was a pretty nice collection, I wanted to put a bid in but it got way beyond what I was willing to pay fast.  Interestingly I did win two additional signs over the weekend that didn't have any competing bids.  A lot of people seem to be holding their money at the moment with the virus outbreak.  I had some cash to burn after I got recalled from my planned trip to Idaho. 

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 23, 2020, 12:44:27 PM
That was a pretty nice collection, I wanted to put a bid in but it got way beyond what I was willing to pay fast.  Interestingly I did win two additional signs over the weekend that didn't have any competing bids.  A lot of people seem to be holding their money at the moment with the virus outbreak.  I had some cash to burn after I got recalled from my planned trip to Idaho. 

I tried to bid, myself, but yeah it went up fast.  I have a few already, but was hoping to expand what I already have.

Max Rockatansky

Two new signs; CA 170 (oversized) and CA 126:

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

1995hoo

I went over to my mom's house for another reason and I finally got around to retrieving this from the basement. My father ordered it from a shop in Toronto in 1986 after seeing lots of them on our family vacation. They took down their signs to have some work done in the garage and never got around to putting them back up before Dad died last year, so Mom said I could have this one. I'll hang it in my garage once I rearrange a few things to make room on the wall.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

I picked this up years ago, but forgot I had it until I cleaned out a box

Also found this long-lost sign buried in my storage

I'm working with Jake to get this refurbished,

Max Rockatansky

So Jake is still doing refurbs?  I have a US 176 blade that could use some similar treatment. 

Ian

Recently picked up these bad boys. The quarantine has got me in the buying mood lately...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Max Rockatansky

That Fed 15D is a nice find.  Its rare anything Mexico ever pops up online these days.  Jake had an older Fed 15 cut-out online the other day for a $199.99 asking price on eBay. 

Ian

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2020, 12:23:18 AM
That Fed 15D is a nice find.  Its rare anything Mexico ever pops up online these days.  Jake had an older Fed 15 cut-out online the other day for a $199.99 asking price on eBay. 

Heh, Jake was the one who actually sold me these three signs. I had a sudden itch for a Mexico sign after I saw he had these for sale, so I scratched.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Picked up some new signs.

Heavily beat up California Trail.  I thought it would make a neat addition given how many Trans-Sierra Highways it encompasses.

A monster size 45x36 US 301 shield probably from South Carolina:

Max Rockatansky

More stuff...

Picked up a CA 89 and CA 140 from Jake after he marked them down on his eBay store:

Snagged an I-805 shield also:

US71

I picked up a souvenir size Kansas (US) 160 and Kansas (US) 283 recently to go with my others.  Otherwise, I'm laying low for a while. Browsing, but it will have to knock my socks off for a bid.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on May 14, 2020, 11:42:35 PM
I picked up a souvenir size Kansas (US) 160 and Kansas (US) 283 recently to go with my others.  Otherwise, I'm laying low for a while. Browsing, but it will have to knock my socks off for a bid.

I have been getting some hazard pay the past two months.  It has been enough to cover discretionary purchases on things like signs, especially since the prices seem to be going down.  Jake lowered his sign prices again by a couple bucks, I might be game for a couple more replica spades in a couple weeks if I don't find anything that catches my eye. 

TravelingBethelite

Max, just out of curiosity, where do you keep all your signs? I'd imagine you've filled up your house already and then some.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on May 17, 2020, 02:07:48 AM
Max, just out of curiosity, where do you keep all your signs? I'd imagine you've filled up your house already and then some.

The garage and back yard.  Surprisingly I haven't filled out to capacity, I have two walls in the garage and one in the yard left to fill.  I've already promised my wife they won't make it inside the house. 

cjk374

I don't even have any of mine hanging up. They are just piled up in my laundry room out of the way. My wife & daughter roll their eyes or laugh at me anytime I bring home a new sign...which has been quite awhile since I have done so.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on May 18, 2020, 05:29:42 PM
I don't even have any of mine hanging up. They are just piled up in my laundry room out of the way. My wife & daughter roll their eyes or laugh at me anytime I bring home a new sign...which has been quite awhile since I have done so.

Oddly it was my wife's ideas to hang them up outside, I just wanted the garage.  I had everything else in organized piles sorted by route number.  About the only thing I get from her is something like "so you need another sign but get on my case when I got to insert store?"

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 18, 2020, 05:47:30 PM
Oddly it was my wife's ideas to hang them up outside, I just wanted the garage.  I had everything else in organized piles sorted by route number.  About the only thing I get from her is something like "so you need another sign but get on my case when I got to insert store?"

You're in trouble now ;)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on May 18, 2020, 06:07:24 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 18, 2020, 05:47:30 PM

You're in trouble now ;)

Heh, I'm not the one who accidentally bid on a treadmill and won.  At least it was only $187 dollars, hopefully it works...  Usually I set aside $200 a month for highway signs, I don't spend it most months.  Right now with hazard pay my budget has doubled because I have really no other discretionary purchases or long distance trips to make. 

Max Rockatansky

I ended up buying a bunch of clearance signs Jake was trying to move this past week.  I'm not sure what he still has in inventory nor if he is still trying to move any of them.  Either way, if someone is interested in any of Jake's remake signs it might be a solid time to shoot him a message if you have a contact. 

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 25, 2020, 05:07:01 PM
I ended up buying a bunch of clearance signs Jake was trying to move this past week.  I'm not sure what he still has in inventory nor if he is still trying to move any of them.  Either way, if someone is interested in any of Jake's remake signs it might be a solid time to shoot him a message if you have a contact. 

He won't mail them, though.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on May 25, 2020, 05:09:14 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 25, 2020, 05:07:01 PM

He won't mail them, though.

He mailed mine, but then again I bought two of his eBay shop first. 

Scott5114

The nice thing about route shields is that they're mostly the same dimensions, so if you have a big collection you can rotate what's displayed every so often, and reuse the same mounts.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2020, 06:46:33 PM
The nice thing about route shields is that they're mostly the same dimensions, so if you have a big collection you can rotate what's displayed every so often, and reuse the same mounts.

I've actually had some major variances on the mounting holes with signs from the same state.  There are a couple out in my back yard that appear to be posted much higher than the others due to where the mounting hole was cut.  The most difficult signs to mount at home for me are street blades since they usually lack a mounting whole of anything that was riveted into a guide sign.  I've started using roofing nails for both applications since I don't get to really mount directly into a stud to keep the sign up. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.