News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Okay. another NY 22 question.

What's up with the intersections of Corbin Road and Reservoir Road in the Town of Pawling?
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.574881,-73.5925452,809m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

kkt

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 28, 2022, 12:03:30 AM
^^^ the best alternative is an elevated freeway. Seriously put it 30 stories high like some science fiction movie and it wouldn't impact a thing. Retrofit skyscrapers. It's money stopping us. Not it being fiction.

through Midtown?  Most buildings are at least 40 stories...

I think the truth is there's no easy way to put a freeway across Midtown, and there doesn't need to be.  Different modes of transportation have different advantages, and freeways don't have the advantage in a super dense environment like Manhattan.

Plutonic Panda

^^^ you know, I'm pretty much just talking shit because won't happen anytime soon if ever. But yea give me a magic wand and I'd make it happen.

kalvado

Quote from: kkt on January 28, 2022, 01:16:11 AM
^^^ the best alternative is an elevated freeway. Seriously put it 30 stories high like some science fiction movie and it wouldn't impact a thing. Retrofit skyscrapers. It's money stopping us. Not it being fiction.

I think the truth is there's no easy way to put a freeway across Midtown, and there doesn't need to be.  Different modes of transportation have different advantages, and freeways don't have the advantage in a super dense environment like Manhattan.
Big reason to talk about that is a link to long island.

froggie

Quote from: kalvado on January 28, 2022, 07:03:36 AM

Long Island shot themselves in the foot when they opposed Oyster Bay-Rye.  I have no sympathy for them, nor is it NYC's responsibility to ensure they have a link.

If they want a link, they can build their own.

D-Dey65

Quote from: froggie on January 28, 2022, 08:47:26 AM
Quote from: kalvado on January 28, 2022, 07:03:36 AM

Long Island shot themselves in the foot when they opposed Oyster Bay-Rye.  I have no sympathy for them, nor is it NYC's responsibility to ensure they have a link.

If they want a link, they can build their own.

The Town Seat of Oyster Bay does not speak for the rest of Long Island.

kernals12

Highways are almost always canceled due to cost, not NIMBYism. I don't think a few rich people in Oyster Bay could override the support for the Bridge that would've come from countless interest groups.

The ultimate issue was that Long Island grew far less than anticipated after 1970. They had been expecting LI to rival NYC in population by 2020. That didn't happen. Fewer people means less toll revenue to pay for the bridge

yakra

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 28, 2022, 01:05:04 AM

What's up with the intersections of Corbin Road and Reservoir Road in the Town of Pawling?
Looking at the topos on HistoricAerials, it looks like the side roads are angled to not have to travel straight up & down the incline.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

empirestate

Quote from: yakra on January 28, 2022, 11:32:35 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 28, 2022, 01:05:04 AM

Looking at the topos on HistoricAerials, it looks like the side roads are angled to not have to travel straight up & down the incline.

Certainly this, and the realignment of NY 22 at some point is doubtless a factor.

SignBridge

Quote from: kernals12 on January 28, 2022, 11:31:31 AM
Highways are almost always canceled due to cost, not NIMBYism. I don't think a few rich people in Oyster Bay could override the support for the Bridge that would've come from countless interest groups.

The ultimate issue was that Long Island grew far less than anticipated after 1970. They had been expecting LI to rival NYC in population by 2020. That didn't happen. Fewer people means less toll revenue to pay for the bridge

Kernals12, I think you are mistaken about the politics of the Oyster Bay-Rye Bridge (or tunnel). More than a few rich people on the North Shore of Long Island have great influence with our politicians who control the purse strings. And yes they probably do wield enough juice to greatly influence whether projects like this ever get built.

Also if that bridge were built there would surely be lots of toll revenue to pay for the project. Long Island, especially Suffolk County has grown far more than you think since 1970. As an example the busiest traffic spot on the Long Island Expwy. in 1970 was at the Queens-Nassau County Line. Today the busiest spot is at the interchange of NY Rt. 135, just west of the Nassau-Suffolk Line.

I guess you haven't driven on Long Island recently.

kernals12

Quote from: SignBridge on January 28, 2022, 08:02:45 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on January 28, 2022, 11:31:31 AM

Kernals12, I think you are mistaken about the politics of the Oyster Bay-Rye Bridge (or tunnel). More than a few rich people on the North Shore of Long Island have great influence with our politicians who control the purse strings. And yes they probably do wield enough juice to greatly influence whether projects like this ever get built.

Also if that bridge were built there would surely be lots of toll revenue to pay for the project. Long Island, especially Suffolk County has grown far more than you think since 1970. As an example the busiest traffic spot on the Long Island Expwy. in 1970 was at the Queens-Nassau County Line. Today the busiest spot is at the interchange of NY Rt. 135, just west of the Nassau-Suffolk Line.

I guess you haven't driven on Long Island recently.

Suffolk County grew by 35%. Nassau County actually declined.

New York's 1968 demographic forecast estimated 6.7 million for both by 2020. In reality, it was less than half that.

SignBridge

Bet the traffic at the Nassau-Suffolk Line has increased more than 35% in the last fifty years.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kernals12 on January 28, 2022, 09:57:17 PM
New York's 1968 demographic forecast estimated 6.7 million for both by 2020. In reality, it was less than half that.

This sounds like a nationwide miss. 1968 was in the baby boom (although on the tail end), and they might have expected it to continue.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kernals12

Quote from: 1 on January 29, 2022, 06:53:23 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on January 28, 2022, 09:57:17 PM

This sounds like a nationwide miss. 1968 was in the baby boom (although on the tail end), and they might have expected it to continue.

If New York State grew as fast as the nation as a whole after 1968, they'd have 29 million people today, about what was forecast back then. What they really missed was the huge number fleeing to Florida.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Long Island isn't even capable of building sanitary sewer. There seems to be no political interest in accommodating growth or improving infrastructure at all. So I don't care about their highway woes. Cost is a big factor but if there's no push to build anything or stand up to NIMBYs, you will definitely get nothing.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on January 30, 2022, 10:10:11 PM
Long Island isn't even capable of building sanitary sewer. There seems to be no political interest in accommodating growth or improving infrastructure at all. So I don't care about their highway woes. Cost is a big factor but if there's no push to build anything or stand up to NIMBYs, you will definitely get nothing.

I would say I support a long island sound crossing, but I also know it's not worth wasting taxpayer money on study after study when the same result occurs again and again (north shore nimbys killing it). Another bridge would be really nice, but alas. We know the results and it's time to move on.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

webny99

Very random question... I noticed this project while browsing the NYSDOT site, and curious if anyone knows how many passing lanes were installed and where they are? 

Interesting that NY 60 got passing lanes over a handful of routes that probably need them worse... US 20/NY 5, US 20A, US 219, NY 14, NY 104 to name a few.

froggie

"Relief passing lanes" could mean either passing lanes for passing slower traffic, or bypass lanes to bypass traffic waiting to turn left.  Hard to say which is the case.

Aerial imagery is too old to determine where, but the latest GMSV is from fall 2021 and shows a shiny new roundabout at the US 20/NY 60 junction that may or may not be related to the project you cite.

(EDIT):  found an article on the project.  They built a ~1/2mi long passing lane in each direction near Sinclairville.  The northbound lane begins just north of the Cassadaga Valley Central School (2021 GMSV of the beginning), while the southbound lane is between Moon Rd and Charlotte Hill Rd.

webny99

Quote from: froggie on February 17, 2022, 07:16:26 PM
(EDIT):  found an article on the project.  They built a ~1/2mi long passing lane in each direction near Sinclairville.  The northbound lane begins just north of the Cassadaga Valley Central School (2021 GMSV of the beginning), while the southbound lane is between Moon Rd and Charlotte Hill Rd.

That's interesting, thanks! I'd like to see more passing lanes in other areas of the state, so hopefully this is a positive indicator.

I noticed something else interesting while browsing that area: "End divided highway" signs in use at the end of a turning lane. Never seen that before.

crispy93

Quote from: webny99 on February 17, 2022, 08:31:57 PM
Quote from: froggie on February 17, 2022, 07:16:26 PM

That's interesting, thanks! I'd like to see more passing lanes in other areas of the state, so hopefully this is a positive indicator.

I noticed something else interesting while browsing that area: "End divided highway" signs in use at the end of a turning lane. Never seen that before.

I wish they'd stripe the yellow line in a way that naturally guides traffic into the right lane. On US 9 in Putnam County, there's a few of these passing/climbing lanes but the slow drivers (usually already oblivious) just proceed straight into the left lane and camp out. Also I like the 45 mph school speed limit, like that's going to do anything. I think in NYS, a school limit can only be up to 15 mph lower than the posted limit (55 here)
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.dailyfreeman.com/2022/02/22/mid-hudson-bridge-switches-to-cashless-tolling-on-march-1/

Cashless tolling will be coming to the Mid-Hudson Bridge starting on March 1st. This is the last toll bridge that has not been switched to cashless tolling on the New York State Bridge Authority (NYSBA) system.

Declan127

Has anyone else noticed that some of the signs in the NYC area are peeling badly? I noticed a rather jarring example the other day going upstate when we got on the Van Wyck and the first thing I see is a nearly blank sign for Exits 1W-2, and that's bad considering that's the exit leading to the road to New Jersey... I noticed a couple of other examples on the way up as well.
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

MATraveler128

Quote from: Declan127 on February 24, 2022, 04:25:43 PM
Has anyone else noticed that some of the signs in the NYC area are peeling badly? I noticed a rather jarring example the other day going upstate when we got on the Van Wyck and the first thing I see is a nearly blank sign for Exits 1W-2, and that's bad considering that's the exit leading to the road to New Jersey... I noticed a couple of other examples on the way up as well.

There are a lot of signs in New York that are falling apart. There's still button copy signage on I-287 at Exit 9 that hasn't been replaced for decades.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

D-Dey65

How many of you are familiar with the old restaurants on Saw Mill River Parkway? I took pictures of the old Leighton's/Woodlands Lake/La Cantina Restaurant in V.E. Macy Park back in November 2021, and I'm now trying to expand the Wikipedia article on Woodlands Lake which is in that park. But I just found out about Dugan's restaurant, and I can't find out where it was.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on January 30, 2022, 10:10:11 PM
Heaven forbid, but if some civil emergency occurred in the future where an evacuation of Long Island was necessary, and people died because the infrastructure couldn't handle the evacuation, maybe then you would get something.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.