News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Best Creative/Funny Exit Name In Each State...

Started by thenetwork, December 21, 2021, 10:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

There must be a memorable exit in each state that Roadgeeks try to visit and take pictures of the sign(s) denoting the exit.

Time to make a list of each state's most memorable Highway EXIT (MUST be a bona-fide exit).

Here are the three states I will start with:

CALIFORNIA:  I-15 @ Zzyzx Road

COLORADO:  I-70 @ No Name (in Glenwood Canyon)

MICHIGAN:  I-75 @ Big Beaver Road -- EXIT 69!!!

bassoon1986

Louisiana's would probably be

Exit 138: Grosse Tete
                  Maringouin

Always makes a junior high mind giggle. The two town names are French for "Fat Head"  and "Mosquito"

iPhone

LilianaUwU

Quote from: bassoon1986 on December 21, 2021, 10:12:29 PM
Louisiana's would probably be

Exit 138: Grosse Tete
                  Maringouin

Always makes a junior high mind giggle. The two town names are French for "Fat Head"  and "Mosquito"

iPhone

There's also an exit on I-49 that's for Ville Platte, which may be interpreted as "Boring City".

Speaking of which, Oregon has the exit for Boring on OR-212.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

ozarkman417

Laughter Road, and the exit next to it, Getwell Road at exits 5 & 3 respectively on Interstate 269 in Mississippi.

7/8

The first two that come to my mind for Ontario:
- Avenue Road (Exit 367 on the 401 in Toronto)
- Sodom Road (Exit 16 on the QEW in Niagara)

KCRoadFan

SkyPesos

Oregon: US 26's exit to OR 212, with the infamous "Boring Oregon City" controls.

And for more number jokes: I-70 exit 420 to US 69 in Kansas.

oscar

Quote from: 7/8 on December 21, 2021, 10:26:33 PM
The first two that come to my mind for Ontario:
- Avenue Road (Exit 367 on the 401 in Toronto)
- Sodom Road (Exit 16 on the QEW in Niagara)

There's Street Road (exit 37) from I-95 in Pennsylvania, north of Philadelphia.

In Virginia, on northbound VA 28 north of Dulles Airport, there's an unnumbered exit for Warp Drive. It takes you to a defense contractor's office complex.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TheHighwayMan3561

MN:

Opportunity Drive (I-94 exit 173)

Cretin Ave (I-94 exit 237) - Joseph Cretin was St. Paul's Catholic bishop, also lending his name to a local high school in St. Paul. Not the only street with a French name that MSP has corrupted; Nicollet Ave is "Nickel-It", not "Nickel-Eyy".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ran4sh

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 21, 2021, 10:57:36 PM

And for more number jokes: I-70 exit 420 to US 69 in Kansas.

It would be funny to see someone try to steal the BGS for that exit
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Scott5114

I don't know if any in Oklahoma are on the order of anything like Zzyzx or Big Beaver, but the ones that stick out to me as possibilities are:

I-35
Exit 86: SH-59 — Wayne/Payne

I-40
Exit 14: Hext Road
Exit 104: Methodist Road
Exit 227: Clearview Road (funnily enough this exit's sign has always been in FHWA Series)
Exit 262: Lotawatah Road (right after crossing the northernmost arm of Lake Eufaula, natch)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

hotdogPi

NH: I-93 Exit 4: Derry/Londonderry. Irish tourists have been known to take photos of this sign; in Ireland, Derry and Londonderry are two names for the same city, but in New Hampshire, they're adjacent.

MA: I-93 Exit 17: Purchase St. Is this Monopoly?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

NWI_Irish96

Indiana is lacking in funny names, at least ones that have interchanges with freeways.

I-64 has an exit for Santa Claus, that's about the best I can come up with.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Arizona has to be Bloody Basin Road off of I-17.

WillWeaverRVA

Witchduck Road (unsigned VA 190) on I-264. It sounds silly until you learn the context (it's named for Witchduck Point, where suspected witches were tried and executed).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

GaryV

Henry

Here's one from my home state of IL:

Metropolis off I-24 (it leads to the namesake of Superman's city)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CapeCodder

wriddle082

Quote from: GaryV on December 22, 2021, 06:45:39 AM
TN:  I-75 exit 144, Stinking Creek Road

Some people also find the I-40 Bucksnort exit funny.

NORTH CAROLINA:  I-73 Exit 90(?), NC 62, Climax, High Point

SectorZ

I wish I-95 in Maine had an exit for Cat Mousam Rd. The name has always befuddled me. You do at least get to see the name on the bridge where it crosses 95.

hbelkins

Kentucky's is probably the brown exit sign for Big Bone Lick State Park on I-75.

Another possibility is the Waddy-Peytona exit on I-64. It's the unofficial halfway point between Lexington and Louisville, although both communities are just wide spots in the road and the exit would really be a nondescript rural interchange if two major chain truck stops hadn't been built there.

For years, the signs were the last full-text-based exit signs left in Kentucky, with the text "KY 395 Waddy Peytona" displayed. But in a sign replacement project, the eastbound signs were changed with Peytona above Waddy, in compliance with the MUTCD requirement that the destination on the left side of the exit goes on the top line. There was a bit of a public flap about it and some media coverage.

https://www.theandersonnews.com/content/sign-spat-sparks-civil-war-between-waddy-peytona

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/30948047/the-courier-journal/

https://misc.transport.road.narkive.com/euPmJKGZ/i-64-in-ky-waddy-peytona-exit-or-petona-waddy

The two towns were even combined to create the name of a fictional NASCAR character who never quite became as famous as Ricky Bobby or Cole Trickle. https://www.fictiondb.com/title/spinout~harpercollins~1736314.htm

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CoreySamson

Texas's might be an unnumbered exit:

FYI, This Way is a street name in Lake Jackson, TX.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Chris19001

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.