News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Schools right next to interchanges

Started by tolbs17, January 04, 2022, 12:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 16, 2022, 10:01:28 AM

My wife lived a few blocks away from her elementary school, across the main street, and walked to school with her mom. She'll tell the story of when school officials told her mom that she needs to be more independent, and walk alone. The first day, she went missing. Her mom was livid. She simply went to a friend's house so all was fine, but even the idea of letting a student walk a few blocks by themselves today, across a busy road, is unheard of in most suburban districts.

Heh. When I was in fifth and sixth grade (and my brother was in third through sixth, as he is younger than I am), we were in the "walking zone" for the second elementary school I attended. The route used a gravel path through the woods, then down a quiet street with no sidewalks. It was fine.

Nowadays, the kids in the neighborhood where we lived (and my mom still lives) ride a bus. If you live in the part of the neighborhood where we did, it's a shorter walk to school than it is up to the front of the neighborhood where the school bus stops (the distance is comparable, but going to the bus stop involves going up a big hill that going to the school does not). Of course I doubt most of the kids make that walk–I'm sure their parents drive them. Before he retired, my father used to grouse about the mothers parking side-by-side, blocking the street, so they could talk without getting out of their minivans.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.