News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 231 West Lafayette Bypass

Started by silverback1065, September 09, 2013, 10:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: mukade on September 18, 2013, 09:51:53 PM
Google Maps should reflect reality. Although it is good for showing new roads quickly, incorrectly marked highways are a real problem. One big one is US 52 shown on the west and south legs of I-465 (including a part that never carried it). They finally added US 52 to the north and east legs where it actually is, but they left the wrong route.

Other examples:
- SR 26 thru Lafayette is simply wrong. It is in two discontinuous sections. It is as wrong as if US 31 and US 40 were still shown along Meridian and Washington Streets in Indy. Those days are gone.
- SR 25 around Lafayette is simply wrong. It is in two discontinuous sections
- Future US 35 in Kokomo has been shown incorrectly for some time

Thank goodness the incorrect I-69 markers were removed from Kentucky and Tennessee.

Anyway, refusing to match reality, if that is what they really do, is a very bad plan.
Strongly agreed. When I look to clinch routes, I look to make sure I have all of the present routing before worrying about past routing. I've already run into trouble tracing VA 36 and US 301 through Petersburg, where Google Maps doesn't reflect reality even close. Don't make it more difficult by keeping outdated routings around.
Anyone have an idea where we can report this TEG character and get him kicked off the Mapmaker "team?"

realjd

I noticed today that former SR26 east of old US52 is now signed as South Street. This was always the case west of 52 (thus the excellent South Street Smokehouse) and it makes sense they'd continue the name.

My big problem with the renumbering is that it makes it harder to head to to the east side from Purdue. Where SR26 EB does it's weird loop on Sheetz, Wood, and Chauncy, the only continuity was the SR26 shields. Without them, what's to help people from out of town to figure out how to get back across the river? This seems like a perfect use for county/local highway shields, which of course Indiana doesn't use.

Does INDOT really only care about trucks? Don't they realize the vast majority of road users are private vehicles?

silverback1065

Quote from: realjd on September 18, 2013, 10:24:11 PM
I noticed today that former SR26 east of old US52 is now signed as South Street. This was always the case west of 52 (thus the excellent South Street Smokehouse) and it makes sense they'd continue the name.

My big problem with the renumbering is that it makes it harder to head to to the east side from Purdue. Where SR26 EB does it's weird loop on Sheetz, Wood, and Chauncy, the only continuity was the SR26 shields. Without them, what's to help people from out of town to figure out how to get back across the river? This seems like a perfect use for county/local highway shields, which of course Indiana doesn't use.

Does INDOT really only care about trucks? Don't they realize the vast majority of road users are private vehicles?

I've heard that that annoying loop is going away eventually, also a professor told me that the intersection of River Rd and State St is being studied to have a roundabout.  Stupid idea for a roundabout in that particular area IMO.

realjd

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 19, 2013, 12:02:29 AM

I've heard that that annoying loop is going away eventually, also a professor told me that the intersection of River Rd and State St is being studied to have a roundabout.  Stupid idea for a roundabout in that particular area IMO.

A well designed roundabout would work well there IMO and can easily handle the traffic. It will certainly make access to/from Brown St. easier.

silverback1065

Quote from: realjd on September 19, 2013, 09:51:22 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 19, 2013, 12:02:29 AM

A well designed roundabout would work well there IMO and can easily handle the traffic. It will certainly make access to/from Brown St. easier.
I guess you're right assuming a lot of traffic does end up being diverted onto the bypass, it will certainly make turning left easier!

PurdueBill

Pedestrian access to/from the campus/village area to the levee/Neon Cactus/Hilton area and River Market apts and shops could be an issue with a roundabout though...it would be kinda wasteful to have gone through all that work building that intersection to last, demolishing the old Bruno's and McDonald's to realign North and South River Roads to each other and laying concrete planned to last for decades, only to get rid of it after maybe 20 years of service in favor of a roundabout that would require major pedestrian accommodations.  They will need a lot of data on the vehicle (auto, truck, bike) and pedestrian traffic for a good amount of time after the new bypass is in operation before they could make any reliable judgement about a roundabout at that location.  Access to/from Brown St. might be made easier for vehicles but I could easily see major pedestrian problems there without significant adjustments to a standard layout.

silverback1065

Quote from: PurdueBill on September 19, 2013, 02:55:58 PM
Pedestrian access to/from the campus/village area to the levee/Neon Cactus/Hilton area and River Market apts and shops could be an issue with a roundabout though...it would be kinda wasteful to have gone through all that work building that intersection to last, demolishing the old Bruno's and McDonald's to realign North and South River Roads to each other and laying concrete planned to last for decades, only to get rid of it after maybe 20 years of service in favor of a roundabout that would require major pedestrian accommodations.  They will need a lot of data on the vehicle (auto, truck, bike) and pedestrian traffic for a good amount of time after the new bypass is in operation before they could make any reliable judgement about a roundabout at that location.  Access to/from Brown St. might be made easier for vehicles but I could easily see major pedestrian problems there without significant adjustments to a standard layout.

Remove Brown street access all together, use Howard instead. 

silverback1065

I guess Google is really following that guys awful advice, the routes I submitted to be removed were accepted, yet never actually removed from the map! 

silverback1065

the original plans called for US52 to stay where it was, and 26 was to go north on the bypass turn right onto 52 and take that to the other side of town.  I don't know why that idea changed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.