News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Six Lane I-65

Started by Indyroads, September 17, 2013, 12:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indyroads

Kentucky is nearing completion of its plans to 6 lane the entire stretch of I-65 throughout the state. Traffic along I-65 both north and south is congested most of the time and continuing to grow throughout the state. I believe that Indot also needs to push forward and widen I-65 statewide to a minimum of 6 lanes to improve traffic flow and eliminate rolling roadblocks.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

nwi_navigator_1181

There was a .pdf linked somewhere in this forum which stated that widening I-65 from Gary to Louisville was one of INDOT's prioritized long-term plans, along with finishing I-69 from Bloomington to Indianapolis and (I believe) the Illiana Corridor. So, it's in the works, to some degree.

Some areas are already getting the widening treatment now. Work on widening I-65 from U.S. 52 to I-865 is nearly complete (the Lebanon to I-865 portion was finished in 2010). A stretch from Indiana 2 to U.S. 30 is being looked at for widening in anticipation of the Illiana (some construction is already in progress).

I agree that I-65 could use that extra lane for the entire state of Indiana. In one way or another, I think it will happen.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

froggie

It's a "nice-to-have".  But unless the "rolling roadblocks" involve significant amounts of recurring congestion instead of just "I can only go 55 because of trucks", it isn't outright necessary.  From a planning level persective (without getting into the nitty-gritty details of traffic flow, peak hour, directional distribution, LOS calculations, etc etc), there are some segments of 65 that may warrant 6 lanes...the aforementioned 865 to 52, through Lafayette (generally IN 38 to IN 43, but especially between 26 and 25), and south of Indy to Edinburgh.  But some segments of I-65, especially south of Columbus and north of Lafayette, just don't have the traffic volumes to justify being a high priority.  Aside from Indy south to Franklin and north to Lebanon, a stronger case could be made for widening I-69 up to Anderson or I-70 west to IN 39 and east to IN 9.

NWI_Irish96

I drive I-65 between Louisville and Indy at least twice a month and I can tell you that 6-laning is badly needed on the entire stretch.  I've lost count of the number of times I've had to reroute to US 31 because of an accident on I-65 that may have been avoided with the extra lanes.  There are just too many trucks on this road to justify not doing this.  This should be a higher priority than upgrading the rural sections of US 31 between Plymouth and Westfield (which I also travel frequently).
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

froggie

Crashes are caused more by weather and poor driving than a lack of lanes.  Extra lanes on I-65 will not help this.  Again, outside of the greater Indy area, I've cited other Interstate routes that should be a higher priority than a "statewide 6-lane I-65"...

Brandon

Froggie, you don't drive it much, do you?  There are plenty of Midwestern freeways that could be six lanes due to the amount of truck traffic.  I-65 between Gary and Indy is one of them.  I-80 west of Joliet is another.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: froggie on September 17, 2013, 09:08:50 AM
Crashes are caused more by weather and poor driving than a lack of lanes.  Extra lanes on I-65 will not help this.  Again, outside of the greater Indy area, I've cited other Interstate routes that should be a higher priority than a "statewide 6-lane I-65"...

Nearly all of the crashes I've encountered have been during dry weather.  Of course poor driving is a factor in almost every crash everywhere, but an extra lane means fewer interactions between cars. 

Brandon

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 17, 2013, 10:08:41 AM
Quote from: froggie on September 17, 2013, 09:08:50 AM

Nearly all of the crashes I've encountered have been during dry weather.  Of course poor driving is a factor in almost every crash everywhere, but an extra lane means fewer interactions between cars. 

That, and less impatience when small vehicles are passing trucks.  Indiana restricts trucks and vehicles with trailers to the two right lanes when there are three travel lanes in a direction.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

froggie

QuoteFroggie, you don't drive it much, do you? 

Not a whole lot, since I don't get back home that often...but I regularly drive routes that are much worse for truck traffic...I-78...I-81...I-95.  Also, truck volumes are factored into LOS calculations during a detailed analysis (as is a multitude of other factors).  Lastly, your reference to impatience in your last post results in poor driving when it shouldn't.

Quotebut an extra lane means fewer interactions between cars. 

Not necessarily.  Depending on how the drivers are in a given area (and this is now more often than not), it actually leads to MORE interaction between cars as you have cars darting back and forth across multiple lanes in order to keep up their high speed.

Guys, I'm not saying that a 6-lane I-65 across Indiana is a bad thing, and I said that at the beginning.  My point is that there are other deserving roadways in the state with higher traffic and greater needs than some of the I-65 segments (also cited earlier).

ShawnP

It is needed as a six lane for I-65 as the traffic is horrid on I-65 every time I travel up to Anderson. Go every month as the mother in law lives in Anderson and it is a goal to keep the wife happy.

nwi_navigator_1181

The arguments on both sides make sense. However, with I-65 being a vital link from Louisville to Chicago, and the intermediate cites in between the major cities (Columbus, Seymour, Edinburgh, Lafayette, etc.), having it go at least 6-lanes the entire way would be inevitable. They should work around those immediate areas first, then finish it in future years.

The "spokes" of I-465 could use the same love; I do agree there. However, mile for mile, I-65 needs it the most. I-69 would be next on the list.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Henry

Maybe while they're trying to figure out how to connect I-69 to Bloomington, they could do a major widening of I-65 in the interim. I wouldn't be surprised if this was done in phases, such as this:

Gary to Lafayette
Lafayette to Indianapolis
Indianapolis to Louisville
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: froggie on September 17, 2013, 02:57:15 AM
It's a "nice-to-have".  But unless the "rolling roadblocks" involve significant amounts of recurring congestion instead of just "I can only go 55 because of trucks", it isn't outright necessary.  From a planning level persective (without getting into the nitty-gritty details of traffic flow, peak hour, directional distribution, LOS calculations, etc etc), there are some segments of 65 that may warrant 6 lanes...the aforementioned 865 to 52, through Lafayette (generally IN 38 to IN 43, but especially between 26 and 25), and south of Indy to Edinburgh.  But some segments of I-65, especially south of Columbus and north of Lafayette, just don't have the traffic volumes to justify being a high priority.  Aside from Indy south to Franklin and north to Lebanon, a stronger case could be made for widening I-69 up to Anderson or I-70 west to IN 39 and east to IN 9.

I-69 up to Southeastern Pkwy (which is only 5 miles) might be higher priority than I-65, but not all the way up to Anderson. 

I-70 is probably in a similar boat with I-65 due to the truck traffic, and it's been a while since I've been on I-70 outside of the Indy area, but I'd think that having Chicago at the end of I-65 produces higher traffic counts than I-70.  Yes, they should definitely start at Lebanon and Greenwood and work "out" from there, but the entire road needs it. 

tdindy88

The same plans that INDOT had which called for widening I-65 to six lanes across the state also called for I-70 across the state to be widened too. But I will also agree about I-69, perferably up to Anderson but most definently up to Exit 210. I-69 from Indy south to Bloomington better at least be designed so that it can be widened to six lanes pretty easily when it's built.

mukade

AADT for busiest four lane sections:

• I-65 - US 30-SR 2 (60,297, 42,247)
  • I-65 - SR 43 to SR 25 (45,162)
  • I-65 - SR 26 to SR 38 (40,740)
  • I-65 - I-865 to I-465 (41,013, 45,550)
  • I-65 - Greenwood-US 31 in Taylorsville (60,517, 56,902, 53,013, 44,822)
  • I-69 - SR 37 to SR 67 (63,093, 57,849, 51,476, 48,261, 41,324)
  • I-69 - US 24 to I-469 (40,629)
  • I-69 - Union Chapel Rd. to north of SR 1 (unknown)
  • I-70 - SR 39 - SR 267 (44,077)
  • I-70 - Mt. Comfort Rd to SR 9 (48,227)
  • I-70 - US 27 - SR 227 (39,896)
  • I-74 - I-465 to Post Road (39,993)
  • I-465 - northwest corner (60,000+)

I think I-65 from US 30 to US 231 essentially has six lanes if they add an asphalt shoulder on the right.

Rick Powell

Quote from: Brandon on September 17, 2013, 09:57:18 AM
Froggie, you don't drive it much, do you?  There are plenty of Midwestern freeways that could be six lanes due to the amount of truck traffic.  I-65 between Gary and Indy is one of them.  I-80 west of Joliet is another.

IDOT District 3 did a feasibility study of 6-laning I-80 all the way west to I-39 while I was there.  Every new overpass, interchange and mainline bridge since about 2002 has been built to accommodate it.  Most apparent from MP 115 to MP 122, but also included in recent interchange rebuilds at Seneca, Marseilles and Utica.

Brandon

Quote from: Rick Powell on September 17, 2013, 11:21:50 PM

IDOT District 3 did a feasibility study of 6-laning I-80 all the way west to I-39 while I was there.  Every new overpass, interchange and mainline bridge since about 2002 has been built to accommodate it.  Most apparent from MP 115 to MP 122, but also included in recent interchange rebuilds at Seneca, Marseilles and Utica.

And District 3 has done a very nice job with I-80 out there.  It puts District 1's section of I-80 to shame.

Indyroads

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 17, 2013, 01:39:38 PM
Quote from: froggie on September 17, 2013, 02:57:15 AM

I-69 up to Southeastern Pkwy (which is only 5 miles) might be higher priority than I-65, but not all the way up to Anderson. 

I-70 is probably in a similar boat with I-65 due to the truck traffic, and it's been a while since I've been on I-70 outside of the Indy area, but I'd think that having Chicago at the end of I-65 produces higher traffic counts than I-70.  Yes, they should definitely start at Lebanon and Greenwood and work "out" from there, but the entire road needs it. 

I-70 is another corridor needs 6-laning but since it was identified as a "Corridor of the Future" and there was planning for separated truck lanes, then the 2 lanes would be sufficient in that case. However truck only lanes are looking like less and less of a likelihood so adding a third lane is also of importance here as well..

With regard to froggies comment. The congestion on the freeway is not at critical mass yet right now LOS levels are probably at C and D levels at peak periods. but D isn't an acceptable level of service. The third lane is also needed to address future traffic growth along the corridor which will continue to rise. Additional widening in Lafayette area should focus on a 4 lane section in that area at eventual build-out, as well as 4 laning I-65 from the Borman south to the US 231 (Crown Point) interchange. Also I-65 will need to be 4 laned from I-465 south to the greenwood interchange south of Indy. 4-laning may also be necessary in the "falls' region depending on future growth of the kentukiana region.

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on September 18, 2013, 06:18:16 AM

And District 3 has done a very nice job with I-80 out there.  It puts District 1's section of I-80 to shame.

Well considering the latest report that the I-80 bridge in Joliet is in dire need of repair, will we possibly see planning stages to expand I-80 to 3 lanes from Indy to Quad Cities?

Granted, 3 lanes to I-39 is really needed, but I would not be surprised for 3 lanes through the entire state
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ET21 on September 18, 2013, 12:09:58 PM

Well considering the latest report that the I-80 bridge in Joliet is in dire need of repair, will we possibly see planning stages to expand I-80 to 3 lanes from Indy to Quad Cities?

Granted, 3 lanes to I-39 is really needed, but I would not be surprised for 3 lanes through the entire state

I-80 doesn't go to Indy.

TEG24601

I just drove I-65 from near Wolcott to Chicago and that stretch of road, south of US 30 is in dire need of another lane, or trucks shouldn't have a lower speed limit.  It was horrible going both directions.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Indyroads

Quote from: TEG24601 on September 18, 2013, 12:54:43 PM
I just drove I-65 from near Wolcott to Chicago and that stretch of road, south of US 30 is in dire need of another lane, or trucks shouldn't have a lower speed limit.  It was horrible going both directions.

:cool: Exactly :cool:

Plus it will also make the highway much safer due to the reduced number of irritated drivers. Y'lll settle down them nerves now.

ET21

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 18, 2013, 12:50:01 PM

I-80 doesn't go to Indy.

I should have mentioned that my "Indy" refers to the IL/IN border. Better to say IN-Quad Cities after looking over it again
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

froggie

QuoteThe congestion on the freeway is not at critical mass yet right now LOS levels are probably at C and D levels at peak periods. but D isn't an acceptable level of service.

Per FHWA, D is considered acceptable.  Your local policy may vary...

Rick Powell

IDOT District 1 is in the middle of a planning study that will add a lane to I-80 in each direction from US 30 in New Lenox to Ridge Road in Minooka.  They are already starting to program some bridge replacements in anticipation of the project.  The District 3 section from MP 122 (Minooka exit) to MP 115 (1 mile west of the new Brisbin Road exit) will be an easy conversion; all that is needed is an outside shoulder and re-striping the pavement, but they are waiting for the eastern section in District 1 to be completed first to avoid creating a bottleneck situation.

http://i-80will.com/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.