News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

ISTHA Finally adding exit numbers to I-355

Started by Brandon, October 16, 2013, 11:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Just saw this tonight as I was driving along I-355.  ISTHA has added exit numbers to the gore signs all along I-355 with a few exceptions.  They are using the point of crossing for the number, so that if the bridge is between MP 6-3/4 and MP 7, the exit number is 6.  Also, if the exit is to a freeway or tollway, it is marked as RAMP, not EXIT.  I-355 is as follows now:

I-80: unnumbered
US-6: 1
IL-7: 4
143rd/IL-171: 7
127th: 8
I-55 North: 12A
I-55 South: 12B
Boughton: 13
75th: 15
63rd/Hobson: 17
Maple:18
Ogden:19
I-88: 20A (no idea why just 20A, but it may be 20A and 20B at the split)
Butterfield: 22
Roosevelt: 24
North: 27
Army Trail: 29

IDOT already had exit numbers on their section.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DevalDragon

They started last Friday. I am officially at Exit 18 now.

nwi_navigator_1181

Maybe...just maybe...this will be the start of (properly) numbering exits on the Illinois Tollway section of interstates. It makes sense to do I-355 first because most of the major reconstruction on that particular highway was done. (I-88 was done previously.)

I'm sure I-90, I-294, and I-94 will follow suit very soon once all the ramps and reconfiguring is done and out of the way.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Brandon

Got a few photos today, as I finally went past them in the daylight.  Here's the most interesting of the bunch.  You have RAMP 20 A for I-88 followed by MILE 19 1/4 followed by EXIT 20 B for Odgen Avenue (US-34).

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Brandon on November 02, 2013, 09:10:15 PM
Got a few photos today, as I finally went past them in the daylight.  Here's the most interesting of the bunch.  You have RAMP 20 A for I-88 followed by MILE 19 1/4 followed by EXIT 20 B for Odgen Avenue (US-34).

Which direction are you going in that picture?  If NB, that then # doesn't match up with your list in the first post for the Ogden Ave (US-34) exit.

seanpatf

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 02, 2013, 09:52:39 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 02, 2013, 09:10:15 PM

Which direction are you going in that picture?  If NB, that then # doesn't match up with your list in the first post for the Ogden Ave (US-34) exit.

I used to live in that area. That is northbound i-355. At that point, Ogden avenue and i-88 are very close to each other. Also complicating things is that shortly, i-355 will be right next to i-88 for a short distance after it goes under i-88.

It was veered that sharply east to go around the Morton Arboretum which is just north of i-88. It is a unique interchange to say the least.

Brandon

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 02, 2013, 09:52:39 PM

Why yes, it is indeed northbound.  And I also failed to mention that Odgen is EXIT 19 southbound.  :sombrero:

ET21

I saw those for Army Trail and Lake St last night. Lake St I think is Exit 31?
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on November 03, 2013, 02:45:38 PM
I saw those for Army Trail and Lake St last night. Lake St I think is Exit 31?

Yes.  However, IDOT has exit tabs but not numbered exit gore signage.  ISTHA has exit gore signage but not tabs yet.

DevalDragon

If you look at the picture, you will see ISTHA still ueses the word "Ramp" for Interstate Interchanges and "Exit" for other roads. Hence I-355 to I-88 is "Ramp 20A" and Ogden Ave is "Exit 20B." Both signs are visible here.

[/quote]

roadman65

I see they are doing the same thing that both FDOT and the FL TPK enterprise have either did or are still doing (in the sake of the latter) and installing the exit numbers at the diverge point and not to the signs themselves for FL TOLL 528.

Well, at least something is better than nothing, however the "RAMP" reminds me of how MDSHA signs freeway to freeway exits with gore directional guides of route number by shield and direction instead of the usual EXIT or EXIT XX.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

And now we have exit tabs, all in FHWA font.  They're being installed a bit piecemeal, but they're going up nonetheless.

If ISTHA can just tack on tabs, why can't CalTrans?

andy3175

Quote from: Brandon on November 17, 2013, 07:46:20 AM
If ISTHA can just tack on tabs, why can't CalTrans?

You had to go there! :-)

For what I've heard over the years, I guess that it has something to do with the sign bridge structural design when comparing those used by ISTHA vs. Caltrans ... but who knows. There have been some exit tabs mounted on overhead signs in downtown Los Angeles (see southbound US 101 approaching I-10, I-5, and CA 60). But that is the exception, not the rule. Most new sign installations in California have the exit number embedded within the main sign.

The ISTHA signs look great, and it is nice to exit numbers on the tollway system after so many years. When I lived in Chicago, I used to wonder why the tollways never posted exit numbers. I am glad that's finally coming to pass.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

roadman65

About sign bridges being fitted for exit tabs, someone in FDOT (I believe Fred or Steve Homan was the name) told me that the reason why FL 528 does not have them mounted on the overhead signs at its interchange with I-95 is that "those sign bridges were not designed for the added expense" plus further explaining that "the signs you already see with exit numbers were built and designed with them in mind."

FYI, the TOLL FL 528 did not have exit numbers until recently as it is not interstate.  However, both the FL TPK Enterprise and the Orlando- Orange County Expressway Authority decided to post them leaving all points east of FL 520 without consistent exit numbers.  The FL 538 has all three agencies maintaining a certain section with the Turnpike and OOCEA having jurisdiction to the west of FL 520.  I wrote to FDOT about that inconsistency in exit signing, and that is when they told me all of this.  They did, though, post numbers on ground mounted signs, so maybe there is truth to this.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DevalDragon

Who told you they are tacking on tabs? They're using my (our) toll dollars and changing the entire damn sign! All of 'em !!!

QuoteIf ISTHA can just tack on tabs, why can't CalTrans?

Brandon

Quote from: DevalDragon on November 18, 2013, 09:20:40 PM
Who told you they are tacking on tabs? They're using my (our) toll dollars and changing the entire damn sign! All of 'em !!!

Dude, the signs are the same, all ISTHA did was tack tabs to the tops of them.  If those were to be replaced with completely new signs, they'd be Clearview with FHWA numbers and all-caps.  The only signs completely replaced for this are the gore signs.

DevalDragon

Keep telling yourself that. I have been watching them swap entire signs all week long on my way to work.

Incidentally, I can see I-355 from my apartment window here in Downers Grove at Maple Ave.

Quote from: Brandon on November 19, 2013, 06:47:24 AM

Dude, the signs are the same, all ISTHA did was tack tabs to the tops of them.  If those were to be replaced with completely new signs, they'd be Clearview with FHWA numbers and all-caps.  The only signs completely replaced for this are the gore signs.

Brandon

Quote from: DevalDragon on November 19, 2013, 11:44:23 PM
Keep telling yourself that. I have been watching them swap entire signs all week long on my way to work.

Incidentally, I can see I-355 from my apartment window here in Downers Grove at Maple Ave.

And I drive I-355 several times a week, sometimes end-to-end.  I'm telling you, these tabs are just tacked on.  Look at the back side of one of them sometime.  I have plenty of before and after photos of some of them now.

Revive 755

Given the new exit number tabs for IL 64 and IL 38, it appears ISTHA is using the 'which side of the crossroad the .0 milepost is on' to pick exit numbers like MoDOT does, instead of the 'which .0 milepost is closest to the interchange' method IDOT uses I thought IDOT used.

Personally, I think the latter is better, instead of having the IL 64 interchange being Exit 27 when milepost 28 is between the IL 64 overpass and the northern ramp gore points.

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on November 20, 2013, 12:07:36 AM
Quote from: DevalDragon on November 19, 2013, 11:44:23 PM

And I drive I-355 several times a week, sometimes end-to-end.  I'm telling you, these tabs are just tacked on.  Look at the back side of one of them sometime.  I have plenty of before and after photos of some of them now.

Confirmed this. All the new tabs are attached on by two supports on the back of each sign
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

roadman

Quote from: ET21 on November 25, 2013, 02:55:16 PM
Confirmed this. All the new tabs are attached on by two supports on the back of each sign
Which is SOP in most states for attaching exit tabs to guide signs, even if both the exit tab and main sign are brand new panels.  I suspect if new exit tabs were put on existing signs, the easiest way to tell would be to observe the signs at night.  If this is correct, the main sign panel should be duller in appearance than the exit tab.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Stratuscaster

Drove down I-355 south, and I do think that SOME of the signage is all-new, while some just got the EXIT tabs added.

Something about the I-88/IL-56 overhead signs seemed different.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.