News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US 136's new terminus at I-465, Indianapolis

Started by usends, November 16, 2013, 12:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Of course Crawfordsville Road / US 136 was originally more-or-less a straight road through Speedway.  It's kind of interesting that, when I-74 was built west of the city, Crawfordsville Rd was realigned to tie directly into I-74 (so at the time, drivers wanting to stay on Crawfordsville Rd had to make a 90-degree turn).  But now I see they've gone back to making Crawfordsville the mainline again, while the direct connection to I-74 has been eliminated [map]: http://tinyurl.com/pbpjahp

Does anyone have photos of the new east terminus of US 136?
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

roadman65

No I wish I did.  I was there back in 08 long before the current interchange configuration took place and have the original signage (mast arm with a TO I-74/ I-465 as well) of that location.

I too would like to see the outcome as GSV still has not been around since the change took effect.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PurdueBill

I was there in September and wish I had taken pictures then; the reconfiguration was done but with construction stuff still around of course.

tdindy88

I tried to post the image but I'm not to savvy on posting images here so I provided the links to pictures concerning this subject. I got this first one last Spring of the new "End US 136" sign east of the exit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27013823@N03/10921210653/

And then here's the first US 136 sign to the west of the exit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27013823@N03/10921233373/

Feel free to put the pictures up on the forum or whatever. Granted there still was some construction on these.

silverback1065

The new interchange is so much better, and us 136 is now a few hundred yards shorter as a result.  As for the usefulness of us 136 that's another story...

roadman65

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 20, 2013, 12:45:55 AM
The new interchange is so much better, and us 136 is now a few hundred yards shorter as a result.  As for the usefulness of us 136 that's another story...
US 5, US 46 (as a US Highway that is), US 4, and plenty of other US highways that are in the shadow of Interstates or have an awkward routing.

Too bad, that GSV has not been there yet to update as it is very interesting to see the final results, especially from the interstates.  The new configuration looks great from the air from what it seems though.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2013, 06:56:13 AM
US 5, US 46 (as a US Highway that is), US 4, and plenty of other US highways that are in the shadow of Interstates or have an awkward routing.

Too bad, that GSV has not been there yet to update as it is very interesting to see the final results, especially from the interstates.  The new configuration looks great from the air from what it seems though.
Please elaborate on any perceived issue with US 4. I think VT and NH would beg to differ with you.

usends

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 18, 2013, 02:08:34 AM
Feel free to put the pictures up on the forum or whatever...

OK with you if I use them to update this page?
http://usends.com/30-39/136/136.html
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

tdindy88

roadman65

Quote from: Steve on November 22, 2013, 12:00:02 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2013, 06:56:13 AM

Please elaborate on any perceived issue with US 4. I think VT and NH would beg to differ with you.
In NH and VT you may be right there as east of Rutland it does form a decent corridor.  However being west of Rutland it then turns south after entering NYS, and goes to places that are better served from earlier points via other routes.  Remember the most direct route from Concord, NH to Albany, NY is via NH-VT 9 and NY 7.  To use US 4 the whole way is miles out of the way.  Even from Lebanon there are plenty of other roads through Southern VT to reach the Capital Region of NY.

I know that US 4 was formed in NYS mainly cause of the defunct US 109 and rearranging US 9's alignments as well, so it ended up the way it is.  In fact if you made NY 149 west of Fort Ann, NY become US 4 it's routing would be somewhat useful.  Some old Exxon maps used to show NY 149 from I-87 to Fort Ann as a redline through route where US 4 would take over into VT.  US 4 south of Fort Ann was a typical black line, as even traffic counts show NY 149 is the main route to Central VT from the I-87 Northway.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.