Big John

mgk920

silverback1065

Quote from: DaBigE on July 23, 2014, 10:31:40 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on July 23, 2014, 10:14:35 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on July 23, 2014, 10:11:25 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on July 23, 2014, 09:57:12 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 23, 2014, 03:48:56 PM
Roundabounts used in the right situation do indeed improve traffic flow.  For instance, they have been used as part of the US-41 upgrades in Oshkosh and have loosened up traffic considerably.

Ditto in Neenah (US(I)-41/Breezewood-Bell - interchange 129 and in the Winneconne Ave (WI 114)/Green Bay Rd area) and in Appleton (east end of College Ave Fox River bridge).

:nod:

Mike

Except for the last one, I had a small part in each of those intersections you listed. For those that despise roundabouts can feel comfort in the fact you will probably never see that many go in as part of one project ever again, (IIRC, the total number of roundabouts associated with the 41 project is in the low-mid 40s). You also will probably not see another roundabout with a 3-lane entry constructed in the state of Wisconsin for a long time (except for a couple still currently in the design phase--Appleton will be home to one of the last ones).

Is this because DDIs are now part of the mix of design options?

Mike

Regarding three-laners: Not directly, at least outside of OSOW routes. The latest trends still show an upward trend in the number of crashes as the number of lanes increases. Granted, while they're fender-benders and not severe injury/fatalities, it still a number the state is not exactly thrilled about. The Winneconne Ave/Green Bay Rd intersection in Neenah has seen its share of crashes since it opened, which has prompted many an editorial in the local papers. That said, an overwhelming majority of the crashes were/are due to failure to yield and not following the proper lanes. Three-laners won't really be considered again until the trend reverses.

IF drivers would just follow the rules of the road, roundabouts would gain a much better reputation, much faster. However, that's not to say that there aren't bad roundabout designs out there.

Regarding the total number of roundabouts as part of one project, I doubt we'll see another project on the scale of the 41 project for a long time.

I have never seen a 3 lane roundabout, those I can see being confusing and dangerous to new users

6a

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 23, 2014, 02:34:58 PM
I hate roundabouts or traffic circles or circles from hell or whatever you want to call them. They don't improve traffic flow from what I've seen and they are like Arkansas drivers in the snow: they just can't figure out how to drive in them without wrecking someone.

iPhone

Does this give you nightmares? :)

Before:

After:

To give you an idea of what's in that area, the large, somewhat fan-shaped building in the middle is a sixth grade school.  There are a total of four schools right there along with all the other usual suburban downtown stuff.  Traffic does back up at peak hours but it is always moving. In my everyday experience this has been a night and day difference to the area.

pianocello

Off-topic: are those sidewalks in the middle of the roundabouts?
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

6a

Yes they are. I know that's atypical for a lot of roundabouts, but with so many schools nearby they wanted kids to be able to stack up in the middle if necessary and cross in bunches.

They did study a single roundabout alternative and....yeah.

Edit: here's what it actually looks like

Big John

^^ Looks like the red lines are where the roadway centerlines would be if the roads went straight through the intersections.

6a

Yep, there are crosswalks marked off around the perimeter of the circles, but "I'll just walk around the outside" is a thing said by no kid, ever.  People usually run from the sidewalk, wait in that little arrowhead shaped space on the left center of the last pic I posted, then dash across.

Edit: this was in reply to a post that is now gone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.