News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Truck bypass for US 41 (Lake Shore Drive) through Chicago

Started by Mr Downtown, March 20, 2014, 09:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Downtown

A friend asked today why no Truck bypass is marked for US 41 (Lake Shore Dr.) in Chicago, on which trucks are forbidden.  He has to help extricate several truckers each year from an overpass near the northern end.

Does AASHTO require or recommend that US highways have a marked bypass for truck traffic when it's forbidden on the main routing? 

It's interesting to compare the situation with IL 64/North Avenue through Elmhurst.  To keep trucks out of those residential neighborhoods, there is complex signage (installed about 10 years ago) marking a Route 64 truck route via I-290 and Route 83.

Brandon

Quote from: Mr Downtown on March 20, 2014, 09:28:55 PM
A friend asked today why no Truck bypass is marked for US 41 (Lake Shore Dr.) in Chicago, on which trucks are forbidden.  He has to help extricate several truckers each year from an overpass near the northern end.

Does AASHTO require or recommend that US highways have a marked bypass for truck traffic when it's forbidden on the main routing? 

It's interesting to compare the situation with IL 64/North Avenue through Elmhurst.  To keep trucks out of those residential neighborhoods, there is complex signage (installed about 10 years ago) marking a Route 64 truck route via I-290 and Route 83.

Yes.  It's called the Skyway, Ryan, Kennedy, and Edens.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Mr Downtown

You seem to be missing the point.  None of those are marked as TRUCK 41.

Revive 755

I kind of agree with Brandon on this one.  Given that US 41 branches off of I-94 north of the loop, and reconnects with I-94 and I-90 south of Chicago, plus the numerous red light and now speed cameras that make Chicago so much fun to drive, and just how long it takes to get between I-94 and the north end of LSD, any trucker going via US 41 should be making a delivery or pickup and know the area.

If there really is a problem with a truck eating bridge on US 41 between I-94 and the loop, your friend should write Chicago and IDOT about it.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

roadman65

US 129 in TN has no truck route either. This road is very winding with steep upgrades for truckers. No interstates nearby either.

Also for many years US 202 in Boonton, NJ had a 2 ton weight limit bridge and did not need to sign a bypass.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ET21

Quote from: Mr Downtown on March 22, 2014, 10:43:41 AM
You seem to be missing the point.  None of those are marked as TRUCK 41.

Those are the truck routes though. LSD northbound would be even more hellish if we had trucks following 41 into the North Side
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Mr Downtown

Let me try this one more time.  The question is not about the advisability of trucks on Lake Shore Drive.  Trucks are not allowed on Lake Shore Drive.  Why, then, does IDOT not have a route marked as TRUCK 41?

NE2

Quote from: Mr Downtown on March 25, 2014, 02:14:00 PM
Why, then, does IDOT not have a route marked as TRUCK 41?
Because they never saw the need to have one. US 1 never had a truck route when it used parkways through Boston.

I'd guess that signs were posted to the effect of 'trucks use US 12-20 to IL 50'.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: Mr Downtown on March 25, 2014, 02:14:00 PM
Let me try this one more time.  The question is not about the advisability of trucks on Lake Shore Drive.  Trucks are not allowed on Lake Shore Drive.  Why, then, does IDOT not have a route marked as TRUCK 41?

Not really required.  Plus, trucks are recommended to stay on the Skyway, Ryan, Kennedy, and Edens.  Otherwise, they risk becoming sardine cans after the top has been rolled back.

Plus, IDOT does not maintain US-41 through Chicago.  CDOT maintains Lake Shore Drive.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PColumbus73

I think most 18-wheelers wouldn't even consider using US 41/Lake Shore Drive for reasons stated previously. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are major distribution centers along Lake Shore Drive. Even if we are talking about local deliveries, then why would trucks use LSD over I-94?

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon on March 25, 2014, 03:24:46 PM
Plus, IDOT does not maintain US-41 through Chicago.  CDOT maintains Lake Shore Drive.

IDOT does not maintain US 41 through Chicago, but they do have some veto power over CDOT's action -not that this seems to be used much, though there might be a demonstration with the rebuild of the northern portion of Lake Shore Drive.

Sykotyk

Depends on the size of the truck and under whose authority they're running. If it's an interstate carrier, and qualify for following STAA routes, then anything not STAA is 'not' a truck route for them. Regardless if there is or isn't signage. If they're smaller that they don't qualify as STAA, then they still have to go where they're allowed to go. Onus is on the driver to know which roads he can legally take, and which ones he can physically fit through.

There's many US routes in the US for various stretches that are not STAA, and there generally is never a sign that warns them (NJ, but that's because the state has very few STAA routes, and non-STAA routes are restricted to 96" width instead of 102" width). Also, a lot of STAA routes are restricted in such manner as to funnel traffic toward major thoroughfares, and also through weigh scales.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.