News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-96 Closure/Rebuilding Has Begun..

Started by thenetwork, April 06, 2014, 08:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

The official closure of the I-96/Jeffries Freeway between US-24/Telegraph Road and just east of I-275 in Metro Detroit has commenced over the weekend.

A photo in the article HERE: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140405/METRO05/304050052/ shows some quite a few things:

- An unusual way they placed the closure banners "on" the BGS.
- A Flashing Yellow Arrow signal on the overpass
- A bit of graffiti on the BGS -- a common problem of late in the Motor City, per another thread.

getemngo

...not to mention a very ugly US 24 shield, and a North Carolina 39 shield! :pan:

I'm going to be in metro Detroit and on I-275 this coming weekend. It'll be interesting to see how much heavier traffic will be, and where.
~ Sam from Michigan

thenetwork

I can still vividly remember the time when the west Jeffries portion of I-96 was only open between I-275 and Newburgh.  My aunt lives off of 5 Mile and Farmington, and once I-275 was opened, we would use that short stub to Newburgh.

What I can't remember was how that stub was signed from I-275 at the time.  I know that it wasn't signed as Newburgh (/Levan) Road, perhaps it was signed as I-96 even though it wasn't finished yet.

catch22

M-DOT has for now left the traffic cameras up, so anyone with "sidewalk superintendent" needs can keep an eye on progress.  They can be accessed from M-DOT's "MI Drive" page:

http://mdotnetpublic.state.mi.us/drive/Default.aspx

catch22

Quote from: thenetwork on April 07, 2014, 11:35:33 AM
I can still vividly remember the time when the west Jeffries portion of I-96 was only open between I-275 and Newburgh.  My aunt lives off of 5 Mile and Farmington, and once I-275 was opened, we would use that short stub to Newburgh.

What I can't remember was how that stub was signed from I-275 at the time.  I know that it wasn't signed as Newburgh (/Levan) Road, perhaps it was signed as I-96 even though it wasn't finished yet.

I'm not positive, but I think the signs just said something like "To Schoolcraft Road" but it's been a long time and I've recycled plenty of brain cells since then.

Back then, I used the stub section of I-275 between Ford Rd. and those ramps to see just how fast my motorcycle could go, since I pretty much had the road to myself.  (Somewhere between 125 and 130 depending on the wind.)

Henry

Finally, something good for Motown! Those roads there badly need repair.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: getemngo on April 06, 2014, 08:23:26 PM
...not to mention a very ugly US 24 shield, and a North Carolina 39 shield!

As a Michigander, surely you know that they don't put the "M" on the state route signs when they're on BGS's.

getemngo

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on April 08, 2014, 01:33:14 PM

As a Michigander, surely you know that they don't put the "M" on the state route signs when they're on BGS's.

Normally if the diamond is in a black box, there's an "M". You'll see either both or neither. BGS's normally have neither. I always forget that it's different on a Big Yellow Sign (and it does makes sense to outline the shield when it's white on yellow). But it's never stopped bothering me.
~ Sam from Michigan

agentsteel53

Quote from: getemngo on April 08, 2014, 02:41:57 PM

Normally if the diamond is in a black box, there's an "M". You'll see either both or neither. BGS's normally have neither. I always forget that it's different on a Big Yellow Sign (and it does makes sense to outline the shield when it's white on yellow). But it's never stopped bothering me.

the way you describe it, the black box with an M is just an independent-mount shield that was riveted to the BGS instead of being put on a post.  sometimes this happens because they have an extra sign that isn't quite right, but is close enough for government work.  this is especially true in construction zones and other temporary signage situations.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

thenetwork

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on April 08, 2014, 01:33:14 PM

And the North Carolina diamonds have more-rounded corners than the Michigan diamonds. 

agentsteel53

North Carolina used to have a stylized "NC" on their shields.  I think it's the 1961 revision that got rid of it.  in any case, I've never seen a black square with NC, just cutouts.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

getemngo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 08, 2014, 03:11:28 PM
Quote from: getemngo on April 08, 2014, 02:41:57 PM

the way you describe it, the black box with an M is just an independent-mount shield that was riveted to the BGS instead of being put on a post.  sometimes this happens because they have an extra sign that isn't quite right, but is close enough for government work.  this is especially true in construction zones and other temporary signage situations.

What I meant was, ground-mounted signs normally have the black box and "M", and BGS's are normally just the diamond and the number. It's weird for me to see a "halfway between" version, even though it's technically correct.

But I have seen independent signs erroneously put on a BGS or LGS plenty of times, yeah. And a lot of reassurance signs in Oakland County, and some in St. Clair County, are missing the "M".  :banghead:
~ Sam from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.