News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Soaring fines give ticketed drivers sticker shock

Started by ZLoth, October 01, 2013, 01:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From SF Gate:

Soaring fines give ticketed drivers sticker shock
QuoteDerick Neal doesn't remember rolling a right turn at a red light in San Leandro in April, though the video from the red-light camera clearly shows the violation.

What really outraged the 40-year-old software engineer, however, was not the ticket itself, but the price: $490, plus $59 for traffic school.

"It's one thing if I was barreling through, but you can see my brake lights all the way through," he said after viewing the video. "I expected it to be $100, $150 at most for the infraction."
FULL ARTICLE HERE

I guess crime does really pay well.... for the government.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

agentsteel53

I think one of the red-light cameras around here shows a $846 fine.  I'll have to look.

I remember once receiving a speeding ticket and, due to an insecure web interface, I was able to munge the URL and look at other unpaid violations.  people had fines over $2000 in certain situations, though most of those involved some pretty high late fees.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mtantillo

Why would traffic school be involved if it was a red light camera (no points, ticket goes to vehicle owner and not necessarily the driver).

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

andy3175

Quote from: ZLoth on October 01, 2013, 01:37:38 PM
I guess crime does really pay well.... for the government.

The anecdote I've heard is that the company (Redflex) that operates many of the red light cameras charges quite a bit for the use and operation of their equipment, and that cost is passed down in tickets. Also, the companies involved in cameras have had to use increased scrutiny of tickets associated with the cameras due to various court cases that have resulted. Several cities in California (including several in San Diego County) have stopped using red light cameras due to the general unpopularity of the program, perception of high costs especially for unfamiliar visitors, and questionable safety record.

Here are some articles on point:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/San-Diego-Eliminates-Red-Light-Cameras--189671371.html

"Just in California, Los Angeles, San Juan Capistrano, Pasadena, Grand Terrace, Bell Gardens, Corona, and Glendale have eliminated their speed cameras."

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/30/5607053/dan-walters-red-light-cameras.html

"Redflex Traffic Systems has dominated the red-light camera industry, claiming they improve safety and persuading cities and counties to install them in return for a share of fines, typically about $500 each. However, critics say the cameras mostly snag motorists who don't come to a complete stop before making turns, rather than those running through intersections, and therefore aren't the lifesavers that boosters claim. Opponents have also accused cities of setting yellow lights at camera- protected intersections on minimal times to ensnare more motorists. Two years ago, Los Angeles shut down its cameras, and several other cities have followed suit. Currently more than 50 local governments use them, but a similar number have either rejected them or, like San Diego and Los Angeles, backed away after initially installing them. Last year, a state appellate court issued the most authoritative judicial ruling on the issue to date. It declared that using data from Redflex to convict motorists of running red lights, without verification, denies ticketed drivers the right to confront accusers. That published decision (California v. Borzakian) didn't abolish red-light cameras, but significantly raised the legal barrier – and thus the potential cost – for their use and made them less valuable as cash cows."

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2013/aug/26/stringers-red-light-camera-enforcement-arrested/

"Last year, the city [Escondido] paid Redflex about $627,000 and raised only $450,000 in ticket revenue with a net cost to the city of about $177,000. Other safety improvements made by the city cost significantly less and provided at least as much additional safety for drivers. In light of the cost and lack of additional safety benefit, it was felt the program has essentially run its course."

http://voiceofsandiego.org/2012/11/19/what-putting-the-brakes-on-red-light-cameras-would-mean/

"So what sort of cash is the city bringing in through the red-light camera program? Not as much as you might think. A November 2011 report says the city collected about $1.9 million from July 2010 through June 2011 but spent $1.7 million on enforcement costs, which included a roughly $727,000 payment to vendor American Traffic Systems Inc. That left San Diego with just an extra $212,957 for its day-to-day budget — not much when you consider that the city's general operating fund is a little more than $1 billion."

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

sdmichael

Have someone run a red light who is only concerned about the ticket kill a loved one...

Bickendan

rschen7754

agentsteel53

Quote from: Bickendan on October 13, 2013, 03:56:05 PM
The assessment fees are really questionable.

shouldn't use of the court system be entirely paid for by taxes?  if so, I should only have to pay the "fine", and what's this about a motorcycle helmet law?  what does my infraction (driving a 4-wheeled car) have to do with that?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ARMOURERERIC

The answer to this situation is also very political:  In 1998 California voters passed Prop 98 which provides that 40% of all new yearly revenue to the state go to education until Califronia reaches IIRC "National Average" per student spending.  Starting about 2003 the teachers union realized that since the state gets 1/2 of traffic fines, that 40% of the 50% would go to them.  Since Brown became governor, the teachers union has presented annually, at the start of the legislative session a list of fees and rickets that they demand be increased.  So far Brown has vetoed pretty much all of these.

Jardine

Seems like I am endangered every time I leave my drive way by twits that are texting, yapping, snoozing, eating and primping.

Guess I don't have a problem with fine structure that gets attention like this.

Don't know how it is elsewhere, but the local red light cams around here are SIGNED a block ahead, are STATIONARY, and REALLY visible on their stands.  Kinda hard to work up too much sympathy for someone who gets a wake up call from one of them.

I was in a funeral procession and about 1/3 of the last half of the vehicles got a ticket, not sure why it was't all of them.  But anyhow, the city waived all the charges, and they have also reprogrammed the cameras to ignore processions now, and I guess it works OK.

Also here, it is just a monetary fine, no points and AFAIK, they don't tell insurance companies.

If you think about that, your premiums would be lower (if you don't run the lights) if they DID inform the insurance companies.

Why should I pay higher insurance rates for vapid teens texting thru red lights ??

ZLoth

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.