News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 11 alignment, though Vegas and points north

Started by swbrotha100, October 16, 2012, 09:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 12, 2023, 03:42:01 PM
Now that's just batshit crazy! How do you plan to bridge the Darién Gap?
You should see the Immigration Freedomway that partially inspired it...

Quote from: jdbx on December 12, 2023, 06:04:05 PM
Quote from: Alps on December 12, 2023, 05:52:27 PM
Quote from: jdbx on December 11, 2023, 07:17:32 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 09, 2023, 05:29:12 PM
I don't like the idea of signing the two directions of a beltway highway as "inner" and "outer." Aside from the mental gymnastics motorists have to do regarding those directions it can create other levels of confusion. Some metro areas are big enough to have more than one beltway.

When someone says "outer loop" they might be referring to a second beltway. Houston has two full beltways and a third that is more than halfway complete. Plus there are additional corridors in the Houston region that will have to be upgraded in various ways to function as partial loops and/or relief routes.

I think it's probably a lot clearer to simply split the loop hemispherically into 2 routes, and sign each route along whichever the predominant cardinal direction of the axis is.
You run into I-295 in Florida (I think), where it's NORTH both ways from I-95! So I do not like that idea. I personally prefer the direction changes in each quadrant to match the way the loop generally runs, but Inner/Outer is fine as well.

That's why I would split it into two distinct routes.  Right now, I-295 is a loop around Jacksonville.  Instead, sign the half that is to the east of I-95 as I-695.  So if you are traveling from the south along I-95, at the junction you'd see "I-295 North - Orange Pk" and "I-695 North - Jax Bchs"  Maybe even add a "TO I-10" to the I-295 option to make it clear which is the preferred route if you are headed towards that way.
They kinda do, just with names instead of numbers.  It's fairly prominently signed as "East Beltway" and "West Beltway".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Kniwt

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/news-columns/road-warrior/i-11-footprint-to-grow-in-southern-nevada-2967497

QuoteInterstate 11's official footprint is about to get larger in the Las Vegas Valley.

Originally designated as 15 miles of freeway when a $318 million project was completed in 2018, which runs between the Nevada-Arizona border to near the Henderson Interchange, I-11 signage soon will be added to the stretch of U.S. Highway 95 running from the Henderson Interchange to Kyle Canyon Road northwest of Las Vegas.

That equals to roughly 30½ miles of highway from the Nevada-Arizona border to Kyle Canyon, according to NDOT director Tracy Larkin Thomason.

Signage installation is expected to occur sometime next year.

Sub-Urbanite

So what's the procedure here? I don't see anything on the autumn AASHTO agenda for extending I-11 to Kyle Canyon Road, so does this mean NDOT plans on applying for it in the spring simultaneous to the signage contract? Or was it already approved? Or are they going rogue?

cl94

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on December 18, 2023, 06:37:24 PM
So what's the procedure here? I don't see anything on the autumn AASHTO agenda for extending I-11 to Kyle Canyon Road, so does this mean NDOT plans on applying for it in the spring simultaneous to the signage contract? Or was it already approved? Or are they going rogue?

I-11 was already approved pending completion of the Centennial Bowl.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadfro

Quote from: cl94 on December 18, 2023, 06:49:55 PM

The extension of I-11 to SR 157 was on the meeting agenda and approved at the AASHTO route numbering committee meeting in Fall 2022.

To my knowledge, there was no condition that the Centennial Bowl needed to be finished first. However, it seems NDOT tends to like to finish adjacent major construction projects before updating Interstate highway designations.

I recall seeing some construction signing plans for the current phase of Centennial Bowl construction that had BGSs along the 215 manufactured with I-11 shields in mind—specifically this eastbound exit sign (where space was left for the I-11 shield and the "S" is a patch to be removed later) and the sign downstream at the future split. At the time these plans were available and I had seen them online, I don't think NDOT had formally announced the final I-11 route through Vegas (so it was likely NDOT knew they'd choose the US 95 alignment all along).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Sub-Urbanite

So, then, is US 95 north of I-15 now part of unsigned I-11? Getting into some semantics here but curious from the experts' perspective.

Quote from: roadfro on December 19, 2023, 12:16:27 PM

The extension of I-11 to SR 157 was on the meeting agenda and approved at the AASHTO route numbering committee meeting in Fall 2022.

To my knowledge, there was no condition that the Centennial Bowl needed to be finished first. However, it seems NDOT tends to like to finish adjacent major construction projects before updating Interstate highway designations.

I recall seeing some construction signing plans for the current phase of Centennial Bowl construction that had BGSs along the 215 manufactured with I-11 shields in mind—specifically this eastbound exit sign (where space was left for the I-11 shield and the "S" is a patch to be removed later) and the sign downstream at the future split. At the time these plans were available and I had seen them online, I don't think NDOT had formally announced the final I-11 route through Vegas (so it was likely NDOT knew they'd choose the US 95 alignment all along).

The Ghostbuster

I hope Interstate 11 is fully signed along Interstate 515 and the rest of US 95 between Interstate 15 and NV 157 within the next year. However, that hope may be premature.

Alps

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on December 19, 2023, 05:40:43 PM
So, then, is US 95 north of I-15 now part of unsigned I-11? Getting into some semantics here but curious from the experts' perspective.

Quote from: roadfro on December 19, 2023, 12:16:27 PM

Yes, on the Federal level of definitions.

roadfro

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 19, 2023, 05:52:08 PM
I hope Interstate 11 is fully signed along Interstate 515 and the rest of US 95 between Interstate 15 and NV 157 within the next year. However, that hope may be premature.

See Kniwt's message in the thread on 12/18...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Strider

This YouTuber drove from Utah to Las Vegas. Near the end of the video, you can see I-11 being signed along US 95 and 93 on the overhead signage and at the interchange itself has blank space reserved for I-11 (no I-515 shields). That is seemingly the evidence that I-11 is being signed and the replacement for I-515 is now ongoing. Go to around 1:52:15 time mark on this website below (so you don't have to watch the entire video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgdLQBnYimc

roadfro

In looking at the video, it appears that there was a recent repaving along I-15 (which wasn't fully finished at the time of the video). It also looks like they replaced a lot of the overhead signs along that stretch—which is common NDOT SOP during repaving projects. I think several were probably around 15-ish years old dating to the widening of this stretch of I-15 (and I think some signs in this stretch were peeling kinda bad). So if they were doing a wholesale sign replacement as part of the repaving, then it makes sense to do the I-11/515 changeout simultaneously on the overhead signage, even if the signage on I-11 itself hasn't been changed yet.

The signage at the actual interchange is of a different vintage. I'm pretty sure the northbound US 95 signs were designed to have an I-11 shield added later, and it's possible that the southbound US 93-95 signs were designed to remove an I-515 sign and replace with an I-11 (and maybe they took the 515 shield down when this video was taken).

As far as I'm aware, nothing has changed out on future I-11 itself yet. I'm hoping to do some scouting about here in the next week.

DenverBrian

Fascinating. Regardless of any official timetable, it's quite apparent from that video that several wayfinding signs on I-15 southbound now show I-11 headed south and north at the junction with I-15.

Scott5114

A southbound I-11 reassurance shield has been installed on the mainline between the Eastern Ave. and Charleston Blvd. exits. As far as I can tell, this is the only mainline I-11 signage southbound between I-15 and I-215; it's still otherwise signed as I-515. I wasn't able to check northbound because of a pretty nasty wreck near Las Vegas Blvd. that had the freeway jammed up for miles.

I wish NDOT would just go ahead and re-sign everything all at once. This slow-drip approach has to be confusing as shit for tourists and people that don't follow the news.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

pderocco

Are they expected to sign the US-95 freeway as I-11 at the same time they do the I-515/US-93/US-95 freeway? Is it even up to current Interstate standards?

cl94

Quote from: pderocco on March 18, 2024, 01:20:42 AM
Are they expected to sign the US-95 freeway as I-11 at the same time they do the I-515/US-93/US-95 freeway? Is it even up to current Interstate standards?

Up to Exit 96 (last interchange before at-grade) was approved a while back and it will be signed as I-11. While NDOT is starting a study to look at feasibility of converting the 4-lane north of there to full freeway, nothing more is on the docket in the near future. That is, however long I-11 is in Nevada at the end of this year is probably how it'll be for the next several years (if not decades).

Edit: fixed exit number
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

roadman65

I-11 to Reno will be completed long after I-69 between Texas and Mississippi.  Of course we won't live to see that either.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DenverBrian

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 18, 2024, 12:35:51 AM
A southbound I-11 reassurance shield has been installed on the mainline between the Eastern Ave. and Charleston Blvd. exits. As far as I can tell, this is the only mainline I-11 signage southbound between I-15 and I-215; it's still otherwise signed as I-515. I wasn't able to check northbound because of a pretty nasty wreck near Las Vegas Blvd. that had the freeway jammed up for miles.

I wish NDOT would just go ahead and re-sign everything all at once. This slow-drip approach has to be confusing as shit for tourists and people that don't follow the news.
Noted back in October in reply #798. And there is no corresponding northbound sign. Currently, that lone I-11 sign before Charleston Blvd. is a one-off; it would be interesting to hear the story of who and how that sign made it to that spot.

mgk920

Quote from: DenverBrian on March 18, 2024, 10:20:10 AM

Noted back in October in reply #798. And there is no corresponding northbound sign. Currently, that lone I-11 sign before Charleston Blvd. is a one-off; it would be interesting to hear the story of who and how that sign made it to that spot.

Was it a redux of the famous 'I-5 sign fix' in Los Angeles, CA ? ? ?

:hmmm:

Mike

Sub-Urbanite

I wasn't able to check northbound because of a pretty nasty wreck near Las Vegas Blvd. that had the freeway jammed up for miles.

There are also I-11 shields on the Charleston Blvd. ramps at the 11/515/93/95 interchange, and the traffic signal signs have been changed to "I-11 NORTH."

The Ghostbuster

How long after the Interstate 11 signs go up between Interstate 215 and NV 157 might the exits be renumbered? How long after the initial posting of the Interstate 11 signs were the old 515 Exits 56A-61 renumbered?

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 18, 2024, 06:27:40 PM
How long after the Interstate 11 signs go up between Interstate 215 and NV 157 might the exits be renumbered? How long after the initial posting of the Interstate 11 signs were the old 515 Exits 56A-61 renumbered?

I'd guess it's all part of the same project. The ones on this segment might be easier to do because they're part of an existing construction project (see: change order) vs. other signs that need to be part of a comprehensive bid for system-wide sign replacement.

roadfro

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on March 18, 2024, 06:26:59 PM
There are also I-11 shields on the Charleston Blvd. ramps at the 11/515/93/95 interchange, and the traffic signal signs have been changed to "I-11 NORTH."

These were likely installed because NDOT has a project working to improve operations at the Charleston interchange. So it likely made sense to get that signage done as part of this project as opposed to ordering new 515 shields to change out after potentially less than a year. (Note that a map on the Charleston project website notes that I-515 is "soon to be renamed I-11".)

The Charleston interchange is part of several I-515 projects NDOT has going on now or planned for the future (see NDOT I-515 projects). Project #5 is repaving from the Henderson Bowl to north to Wyoming Ave. This is where I think the answer to seeing widespread I-11 shields lies. NDOT lately has tended to do a lot of sign replacement work during repaving projects, so I would anticipate much of the I-11 signage to go up as part of that project—the project pagefor that specific project does mention signage improvements. The page mentions that this project should be completed by August 2024, so I expect to see I-11 shields to start appearing along a good chunk of the existing I-515 segment over the summer.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 18, 2024, 06:27:40 PM

No idea on exit renumbering. But I'm expecting it simultaneously with the resigning.

The Boulder City Bypass opened in August 2018 with I-11 signage, but I-515 signage remained at that time. NDOT did a major sign replacement project along I-515 between Railroad Pass and the I-215/SR 564 interchange in early 2019 (an article in the local paper mentioning this was published on Pi Day 2019), which included changing the I-515 signage to I-11 and changing the exit numbers.

I'm still not 100% convinced that NDOT will sign I-11 north/west of I-15 along the US 95 stretch right away...

cl94

It is worth noting that nothing internal has changed the designation yet, though the 2024 route log indicates a redesignation is coming this year.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.