News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Oak Grove Drive in Pasadena

Started by bing101, January 14, 2014, 05:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

This was previously CA-118 Foothill Freeway in the 1970's until I-210 was constructed. This Parkway is now known as Oak Grove Drive (Address for JPL) . Wow This expressway is interesting. When I saw this on Google maps it kind of have some resemblance to Air Base Parkway in Fairfield its that they are city owned expressways without a route number.

www.scvresources.com/highways/socal_unsigned/foothill_fwy/

The High Plains Traveler

There were two short segments of freeway built in that area in the 1950s. The other was the Colorado Freeway (134), which started west of Colorado Blvd. and Orange Grove Blvd. Both were probably about a mile long. While the present-day Foothill Freeway completely bypassed its original segment, it looks like the east end of the original Colorado Freeway is the current 134 Freeway. The original west end of this freeway stub may be the long ramp from the 134 Freeway to Colorado Blvd.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Occidental Tourist

The portion of the Ventura Freeway from the Patrician Way bridge east to the Orange Grove Blvd. bridge is all part of the original eastern section of the Colorado Freeway.

sdmichael

Since it was brought up - here is the Colorado Freeway site - http://www.scvresources.com/highways/socal_unsigned/colorado_fwy/ . It bore three different numbers and wasn't just one route the entire way.

hm insulators

Actually, Oak Grove Drive leading past La Canada High School and up to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory was always a separate street from the Foothill Freeway. I grew up in La Canada Flintridge (my dad worked at JPL) and remember that funny little freeway connecting LCF to Pasadena very well! :nod: I remember the very early 1970s when they carved out the new 210 Freeway, which opened about 1973. Right before the new freeway opened to traffic, they even had a party for the community (the "Freeway Frolic" I think it was called) in the tunnel under La Canada Memorial Park at the three-way intersection of Foothill, Verdugo and La Canada Boulevards.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.