News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Rohnert Park Expressway

Started by bing101, February 21, 2014, 11:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rohnert+Park+Expressway&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&ei=hHUHU5KoGMyDogTS_oD4AQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ

This road is a city route in Rohnert Park, CA. Its an arterial road in the area and its primary main street to US-101. What is its detailed history of this road I can't find it anywhere and why they decided to call it an expressway? Its one of a few roads outside of the San Jose Area to get an expressway designated name. The other 2 places to get an expressway name in California outside of San Jose are Alta Arden Expressway in Sacramento and Geary Expressway in San Francisco and they are city arterials.

TheStranger

Quote from: bing101 on February 21, 2014, 11:03:03 AM
The other 2 places to get an expressway name in California outside of San Jose are Alta Arden Expressway in Sacramento and Geary Expressway in San Francisco and they are city arterials.

There are more examples than that:

- 65th Street Expressway in Sacramento

- Ramona Expressway in Perris

As for the Geary Expressway in SF, there are plans to revert it to city street in at least one portion:
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-s-50-million-plan-to-fill-Geary-underpass-5209004.php
Chris Sampang

flowmotion

Geary Boulevard is only labeled as an expressway on old maps & planning documents, it's not a name which is in current use.

TheStranger

Quote from: flowmotion on February 23, 2014, 02:04:20 PM
Geary Boulevard is only labeled as an expressway on old maps & planning documents, it's not a name which is in current use.

I've seen it on CSAA maps as recently as the 1990s - I don't think the buildings fronting the street have used addresses other than "Geary Boulevard" but it is an expressway for the sections with the overpasses/exit ramps.
Chris Sampang

flowmotion

Quote from: TheStranger on February 23, 2014, 03:11:45 PM
I've seen it on CSAA maps as recently as the 1990s - I don't think the buildings fronting the street have used addresses other than "Geary Boulevard" but it is an expressway for the sections with the overpasses/exit ramps.

Yes, for a short while I lived on the "expressway" section of Geary Blvd, and as far a I know it was never signed or referred to locally as Geary Expressway. I've only seen it on out-of-date maps and urban renewal plans.

And, other than the underpasses, it isn't much of an expressway, just a widened 35MPH street with parking and driveways on either side. The "exit ramps" are frontage roads, not deceleration ramps.

TheStranger

Quote from: flowmotion on February 23, 2014, 03:52:33 PM

And, other than the underpasses, it isn't much of an expressway, just a widened 35MPH street with parking and driveways on either side. The "exit ramps" are frontage roads, not deceleration ramps.

The Masonic Avenue ramps are a little bit more "exit" in style than the Fillmore Street ones (which the city is considering returning to conventional-street configuration).
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.