News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Santa Clara Expressways plan update

Started by bing101, March 08, 2014, 09:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

http://www.cyclelicio.us/2014/santa-clara-expressways-plan-update/

So far Lawrence expressway has been mentioned as the one thats subjected to grade separation. As far as I know there were meeting in the past month to make it a grade separated more like a freeway that met Caltrans standards.

http://moderntransit.org/expy/expy-system.html

http://moderntransit.org/expy/index.html

myosh_tino

Quote from: bing101 on March 08, 2014, 09:54:50 AM
So far Lawrence expressway has been mentioned as the one thats subjected to grade separation. As far as I know there were meeting in the past month to make it a grade separated more like a freeway that met Caltrans standards.

Freeway that meets Caltrans' standards?  I don't think so.

I've had a look at the proposal and it appears the county is going to put the exit and entrance ramps in the middle of the expressway due to the lack of right-of-way.  Left exits and entrances are definitely a no-no when it comes to freeway design (Caltrans or otherwise).
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

TheStranger

Quote from: myosh_tino on March 08, 2014, 04:17:23 PM

I've had a look at the proposal and it appears the county is going to put the exit and entrance ramps in the middle of the expressway due to the lack of right-of-way.  Left exits and entrances are definitely a no-no when it comes to freeway design (Caltrans or otherwise).

The major exception being exits to/from carpool lanes!  Though this so far seems to be limited to the Eastshore Freeway portion of I-80.
Chris Sampang

Henry

Quote from: TheStranger on March 08, 2014, 05:53:10 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on March 08, 2014, 04:17:23 PM

The major exception being exits to/from carpool lanes!  Though this so far seems to be limited to the Eastshore Freeway portion of I-80.
Another difference is that Caltrans seems to be very strict about its designations. No matter what shield it bears (Interstate, US or miner's spade), if a highway is limited-access with no cross traffic anywhere, then it is a freeway. So perhaps, the Lawrence Freeway would be appropriate for this project, if all the cross traffic is to be eliminated there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

myosh_tino

Quote from: Henry on March 12, 2014, 01:17:36 PM
Another difference is that Caltrans seems to be very strict about its designations. No matter what shield it bears (Interstate, US or miner's spade), if a highway is limited-access with no cross traffic anywhere, then it is a freeway. So perhaps, the Lawrence Freeway would be appropriate for this project, if all the cross traffic is to be eliminated there.

Lawrence Freeway?  Probably not and here's why.

I do not believe that access will be limited, just that at-grade intersections will be eliminated and grade-separated.  There are a number of right-in, right-out driveways that serve local businesses along that particular stretch of Lawrence so technically it wouldn't be "limited access".

The proposed improvements are along an approximately 1 mile portion of Lawrence Expwy so it wouldn't make much sense to rename a 1 mile segment to Lawrence Fwy while the other 7 miles remain Lawrence Expwy.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

TheStranger

Quote from: myosh_tino on March 12, 2014, 03:14:47 PM

I do not believe that access will be limited, just that at-grade intersections will be eliminated and grade-separated.  There are a number of right-in, right-out driveways that serve local businesses along that particular stretch of Lawrence so technically it wouldn't be "limited access".

So the end result for this section...seems to be a lot like what I've described as "Jersey freeway" over the years (i.e. NJ 17) - right-in/right-out entrances to businesses/shopping centers, grade-separated crossings for actual through roads.
Chris Sampang

Henry

Quote from: myosh_tino on March 12, 2014, 03:14:47 PM
Quote from: Henry on March 12, 2014, 01:17:36 PM

Lawrence Freeway?  Probably not and here's why.

The proposed improvements are along an approximately 1 mile portion of Lawrence Expwy so it wouldn't make much sense to rename a 1 mile segment to Lawrence Fwy while the other 7 miles remain Lawrence Expwy.

Forgive me, then. I think you have a point there in that it would be more than an expressway, but less than a real freeway.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

DTComposer

FWIW, there's some fascinating planning maps and aerial photos relating to the planning of Santa Clara County's freeway and expressways, take a look at some of Eric Fischer's photos on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=24431382@N03&q=santa%20clara

mrsman

These expressways are a great system.  Much cheaper to build then freeways, yet provide great connectivity around the region.

In many other Metro areas, you are stuck with city streets with lights at almost every block, so everyone heads for the interstates even for intra-regional travel, and even if they have to go somewhat out of their way.  I wish more metro areas had these types of "fast streets" for locals to use.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.