Breathing Uneasy: Living Along the 710 Freeway Corridor

Started by bing101, May 08, 2014, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

jeffandnicole

A) Love it when they show a picture of an empty highway while describing it as a congested, truck filled road.

B) Funny how some people attribute cancer to smoking, as if that's the only reason why someone would have cancer.  It almost makes me question what else is in the area that could be causing the high cancer numbers if people are so clueless as to the many, various factors that can cause cancer.

C) Does Walmart get blamed for everything?  Unless the truck says 'Walmart' on it, chances are, it's not going anywhere near a Walmart. 

While I'm sure the need is there to do something about the highway, maybe the nearby residents aren't being heard because their reasonings and excuses are so far-fetched that it's not beneficial to have a meaningful conversation with them.

bing101

How about I-880 in Oakland its a major Truckers freeway with goods going from the port of Oakland to either Silicon Valley, San Francisco or Central Valley they must have similar issues as the KCET Report and also Cargo Ships not meeting smog standards are at play since some of the goods come from China or Mexico.[/font]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn5SCjYTfcc

myosh_tino

I think NorCal's I-710 has to be the 42 mile stretch of I-580 from Castro Valley to I-5.  Truck traffic is *very* heavy along this stretch of I-580 to the point where the right 2 lanes are almost entirely filled with trucks.  While the 12 mile stretch of I-880 from Oakland to I-238 carries a ton of truck traffic it is not nearly as long as I-580.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

bing101

mrsman

Quote from: myosh_tino on May 08, 2014, 02:23:20 PM
I think NorCal's I-710 has to be the 42 mile stretch of I-580 from Castro Valley to I-5.  Truck traffic is *very* heavy along this stretch of I-580 to the point where the right 2 lanes are almost entirely filled with trucks.  While the 12 mile stretch of I-880 from Oakland to I-238 carries a ton of truck traffic it is not nearly as long as I-580.

Yet, in my view, I-880 is a lot more similar to I-710, particularly because 880 is a connection to the ports.  I-710 is filled with trucks as its the main access to the ports and avoids the main Downtown corridor.  From I-710, the truck traffic can use several ways to go east (CA-60 or I-10) or north (I-5) but the main throat between I-5 and the Ports are full of trucks.  I-880 distributes the truck traffic from Oakland's port northeast to I-80 or southeast towards I-238 and I-580 or due south toward San Jose on I-880.  I-880 also passes through more heavy industrial areas than I-580, which is similar to I-710 which is probably the freeway that passes through the most heavy industry in all of California.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.