News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 269

Started by Chris, July 19, 2009, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadmapfan66

I want to know exactly where the new Interstate 69 extension is being built as of now?

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA
--- SCP

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 28, 2011, 01:04:49 PM
I emailed MDOT and asked them if they had a current estimated completion date for Mississippi's part of I-269.  It looks like 2020 is the current best guess.  MDOT's response (the District 2 Engineer):
"The project is broken into 4 segments. The 4th segment is currently under construction. The remaining 3 segments are anticipated to under construction in the next 2 to 4 years . The completion will be in phases ranging between 2014 to 2020. These dates are approximate due to ROW and utility constraints on the 3 segments not under construction... "
Quote from: Grzrd on April 28, 2011, 08:21:49 PM
In the 2012-14 TIP released today, construction is scheduled to begin on the I-269 section from the Mississippi state line to TN 385 near Collierville in 2012 and paving is scheduled to begin on the final two sections of
TN 385/I-269 in 2013 [page 9/17 of the pdf]:
http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/Chief_Engineer/docs/2012-2014_Program.pdf
Quote from: Grzrd on January 16, 2012, 04:31:05 PM
Memphis MPO has posted its Direction 2040 Long Term Transportation Plan on the Direction 2040 website.  It looks like the new thought is to have all of I-69 from TN 300 to the Tipton County line, and I-269 from the interchange to TN 385, completed by 2020:
http://direction2040.com/library/Draft_Chapter_08%20(Implementation%20Plan).pdf
A map of the proposed highway transportation projects is on page 8-37 of the document and page 39/53 of the pdf ...
The new terrain I-269 section is included on the map as a 2020 project and I assume it is included in TN 300 to TN 385 I-69 project (which seems to be the case in this TDOT map: http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/i69/segment9/maps/segment_map.pdf).
above from "I-69 in TN" thread.
Quote from: codyg1985 on January 16, 2012, 05:54:21 PM
I'm also not really seeing anything pertaining to I-269 from I-55 to I-22 on this plan, which makes me wonder if construction will begin sooner on that rather than later?
above from "Interstate 22" thread.

I think it will be sooner rather than later.  The map shows that Marshall County, MS is not part of the MPO (making that segment of I-269 beyond the scope of the LRTP), but it also makes it look like I-269 in DeSoto County, MS is completed (a short section of I-269 also goes through a part of DeSoto County that is not part of the MPO, but most of DeSoto County's I-269 is part of the MPO).

Page 8-8 of the document (page 10/53 of pdf) briefly addresses the bond funding mechanism used to accelerate I-269's construction in North Mississippi:

Highway Enhancement through Local Partnerships (HELP)
An additional funding mechanism is being used in the Mississippi portion of the Memphis MPO area. In this
innovative program, the local agencies sell bonds to finance the construction of major projects. Federal funds are
used to repay the funding and the state pays the debt service on the bonds. This program has allowed the
Memphis MPO area to accelerate the construction of I-69/I-269 in North Mississippi.

I'm guessing that, in the eyes of the MPO, Mississippi's I-269 is already a "done deal" because of the bond financing and that it can be considered "complete" in that sense.  Similarly, I-269 in Tennessee from TN 385 to the Mississippi state line is shown as complete, presumably because construction on it is scheduled to begin this year under TDOT's 2012-14 TIP.

EDIT

The sections of I-269 mentioned above are considered part of the "existing and committed roadway network" (map at Figure 4.2 on page 4-5 of the document; page 9/62 of pdf):
http://direction2040.com/library/Draft_Chapter_04%20(Existing%20Conditions%20and%20Needs%20Assessment).pdf

jpi

Hi Guys,
Cody and I area meeting up tomorrow afternoon and scouting the I-269 construction, my plan is to have a road meet later this spring with focus on this project, any input\ feedback is welcome. :)

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home of the Barrel
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

codyg1985

Construction is really moving along in Tennessee, and we even spotted a couple of "Future I-269 Corridor" signs along completed sections (TN 385 just south of TN 57 in Piperton). The Mississippi project is still in its early phases, with much of the grading work concentrated on the southern end of the project around the future MS 302 interchange.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

There won't be anything to see, but TDOT will probably let the TN 385 to Mississippi state line section of Future I-269 around the time of the Memphis meet.  TDOT's reply to my recent email on that subject:

TDOT does still intend to let the I-269 project, from SR 385 to the MS State line, in 2012.  We currently anticipate letting the project in March or April.

Good overall progress on I-269...

Henry

Quote from: Grzrd on February 06, 2012, 11:00:58 AM
There won't be anything to see, but TDOT will probably let the TN 385 to Mississippi state line section of Future I-269 around the time of the Memphis meet.  TDOT's reply to my recent email on that subject:

TDOT does still intend to let the I-269 project, from SR 385 to the MS State line, in 2012.  We currently anticipate letting the project in March or April.

Good overall progress on I-269...
I like seeing how well a project progresses along. Looks like the Indianapolis-to-Memphis part of I-69 will get completed before the rest of it does.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 28, 2011, 01:04:49 PM
I emailed MDOT and asked them if they had a current estimated completion date for Mississippi's part of I-269.  It looks like 2020 is the current best guess.  MDOT's response (the District 2 Engineer):
The project is broken into 4 segments. The 4th segment is currently under construction. The remaining 3 segments are anticipated to under construction in the next 2 to 4 years . The completion will be in phases ranging between 2014 to 2020. These dates are approximate due to ROW and utility constraints on the 3 segments not under construction.

This March 3 article indicates that construction is anticipated to begin on at least some of the remaining segments by the middle of this year:

Supervisor Harvey Wayne Lee of Hernando reported funding is in place for construction of the Interstate 269 segment in North Mississippi as part of the International Trade Corridor, and that the state is in the final phases of buying right-of-way. Construction is expected to begin by the middle of the year.
"We're anxious to get it started and move DeSoto County forward," Lee said.

Grzrd

I recently looked at MDOT's 2012-15 Draft STIP and it provides an ambitious construction schedule for I-269 in Desoto County (page 34/305 of pdf) and Marshall County (page 45/305 of pdf).  Four separate "grade bridge 4 Lanes" projects are listed for 2012 and two more "grade bridge 4 Lanes" projects are listed for 2013.  Also, in 2013, there is a "grade bridge pave 4 Lanes" project from Future I-22 to MS 302 and a 2013 paving project from MS 302 to the Tennessee state line.  There are also two "Pave 4 Lanes" projects scheduled for 2015.  As far as I can tell, the only section of Mississippi's I-269 that is not scheduled to be under a paving contract by 2015 is a section from the Desoto/Marshall county line to "STA-835+00".

Brief Summary:
Desoto County
2012-13. 4 "grade bridge 4 Lanes" projects from I-55 to the Marshall County line.
2015. Paving project from I-55 to the Marshall County line.

Marshall County
2012-13.  3 "grade bridge 4 Lanes" projects from the Desoto County line to MS 302.
2013. a "grade bridge pave 4 Lanes" project from Future I-22 to MS 302.
2013. Pave from MS 302 to the Tennessee state line.
2015. Pave from "STA 835+00" to east of Mason Road (Mason Road is just east of Future I-22).

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 15, 2011, 04:19:26 PM
I-269/TN 385 is approximately one year ahead of schedule and may be completed by the end of next year:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/feb/21/game-changer/
...  Thanks to favorable weather, work on the final segment of the Tenn. 385 outer-loop highway around Memphis is way ahead of schedule. In fact, it could open by late 2012 or early 2013 -- nearly a year earlier than scheduled -- connecting Collierville and areas along the Shelby-Fayette county line with Interstate 40 and Millington ....

I emailed TDOT and asked if the TN 385 project is still ahead of schedule.  Bad weather has slowed down construction and the project has gone from being way ahead of schedule to being approximately right on schedule.  TDOT's response:

Due primarily to the weather, especially the heavy flooding last spring, this project is not as far ahead of schedule as it was once.  We are currently still on schedule to have the base and paving project completed by the contract completion date of September 30, 2012.
The paving project is currently set to be let in August of this year.  We hope to have the paving project completed by the end of 2013.

Still good progress ...

Grzrd

Although it's not official until Tennessee Governor Haslam signs the bill, it looks like this weekend's Memphis meet attendees will be looking at construction of a segment of TN 385/I-269 that will also be known as the Governor Winfield Dunn Parkway:

Tennessee 385 -- the eastern semi-circle roadway linking the Memphis suburbs -- is about to have a third name on it: the Governor Winfield Dunn Parkway.
The state Senate gave final legislative approval today to a bill that designates the stretch of Tennessee 385 between U.S. 70 near Arlington and U.S. 72 at Collierville as the Governor Winfield Dunn Parkway in honor of the former Memphis dentist who in 1970 was elected Tennessee's first Republican governor in 50 years. Dunn, 84, now lives in Sumner County.
Tennessee 385 from U.S. 51 at Millington to near Arlington is designated as Paul W. Barret Parkway, and the section between I-240 in southeast Memphis to Collierville is designated as Bill Morris Parkway, which was first known as Nonconnah Parkway. Barret, who died in 1976, was a prominent Millington and Shelby County business and government leader. Morris was Shelby County sheriff and county mayor.
Part of the section of Tennessee 385 named after Dunn is still under construction, but the stretch between I-40 and Macon Road is already open to traffic.
The northern and eastern legs of Tennessee 385 will eventually also be designated as Interstate 269.
Senate Majority Leader Mark Norris, R-Collierville, and Rep. Barrett Rich, R-Somerville, sponsored the bill. It now goes to Gov. Bill Haslam for his signature.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Grzrd on April 26, 2012, 02:27:17 PM
Although it's not official until Tennessee Governor Haslam signs the bill, it looks like this weekend's Memphis meet attendees will be looking at construction of a segment of TN 385/I-269 that will also be known as the Governor Winfield Dunn Parkway:

Tennessee 385 -- the eastern semi-circle roadway linking the Memphis suburbs -- is about to have a third name on it: the Governor Winfield Dunn Parkway.
The state Senate gave final legislative approval today to a bill that designates the stretch of Tennessee 385 between U.S. 70 near Arlington and U.S. 72 at Collierville as the Governor Winfield Dunn Parkway in honor of the former Memphis dentist who in 1970 was elected Tennessee's first Republican governor in 50 years. Dunn, 84, now lives in Sumner County.
Tennessee 385 from U.S. 51 at Millington to near Arlington is designated as Paul W. Barret Parkway, and the section between I-240 in southeast Memphis to Collierville is designated as Bill Morris Parkway, which was first known as Nonconnah Parkway. Barret, who died in 1976, was a prominent Millington and Shelby County business and government leader. Morris was Shelby County sheriff and county mayor.
Part of the section of Tennessee 385 named after Dunn is still under construction, but the stretch between I-40 and Macon Road is already open to traffic.
The northern and eastern legs of Tennessee 385 will eventually also be designated as Interstate 269.
Senate Majority Leader Mark Norris, R-Collierville, and Rep. Barrett Rich, R-Somerville, sponsored the bill. It now goes to Gov. Bill Haslam for his signature.
Make sure they all have toothbrushes.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

codyg1985

MDOT has listed on their May 22 letting a grade, drainage, and bridge project for I-269 from MS 305 to the Coldwater River:

QuoteGrade & Bridge, 4-lanes on SR 304/I-269 from SR 305 to Coldwater River Bridge, known as Federal Aid Project No. STP-0029-02(014) / 102556312 in DeSoto County.

http://sp.gomdot.com/Contract%20Administration/BidSystems/Pages/letting%20calendar.aspx
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

The Memphis MPO is conducting an I-269 TN Regional Vision Study. The study will primarily address land-use issues along the already-defined corridor, but I thought it was worth posting because I like the map of I-269 (as well as I-69 in metro Memphis) developed for the study that is linked to the webpage:

The MPO will be hosting Open Houses about the study in early June.

Grzrd

MDOT's June 19 District Two Project Updates reports that the project for the first section of Mississippi's I-269 is approximately 34% complete and that bridge work is about to begin:

I-269 in Marshall County

Work is underway on the first section of I-269 in Marshall County. Tanner Construction Company, Inc. of Ellisville, MS, has been awarded a $19,524,520 contract for the construction of the first leg of I-269. This project is approximately 3.1 miles long and goes from just South of SR 302 to the Tennessee state line. Work completed under this contract will include clearing, earthwork, bridge construction, and drainage features. The paving work will be let under a separate contract in the future.  The contractor is currently installing drainage structures on the north and south sides of the I-269/Highway 302 interchange.   Earthwork operations are also ongoing on the north and south side of the I-269/Highway 302 interchange, and installing and maintaining Erosion Control BMP's.  Bridge work is expected to begin the second week in June. The project is approximately 34 percent complete with an expected completion date of October 2013.  In Mississippi, I-269 will begin at the intersection of I-55 and I-69 north of Hernando, cross Highway 78 near Byhalia and continue northeast to the Tennessee state line. This project is one section of the planned nationwide I-69 project.

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 30, 2012, 09:00:33 AM
MDOT has listed on their May 22 letting a grade, drainage, and bridge project for I-269 from MS 305 to the Coldwater River:
QuoteGrade & Bridge, 4-lanes on SR 304/I-269 from SR 305 to Coldwater River Bridge, known as Federal Aid Project No. STP-0029-02(014) / 102556312 in DeSoto County.
http://sp.gomdot.com/Contract%20Administration/BidSystems/Pages/letting%20calendar.aspx

MDOT awarded a contract for the second MS I-269 project (referenced in above quote) subject to FHWA concurrence on June 12 (page 2/3 of pdf):

STP-0029-02(014) / 102556312
DESOTO COUNTY - Grade & Bridge, 4-lanes on SR 304/I-269 from SR 305 to Coldwater River Bridge
JOE MCGEE CONSTRUCTION COMPANY, INC.
6609 STEVE LEE DRIVE LAKE, MS 39092
$39,998,460.65

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 20, 2012, 11:07:44 AM
I recently looked at MDOT's 2012-15 Draft STIP and it provides an ambitious construction schedule for I-269 in ... Marshall County (page 45/305 of pdf) ... there is a 2013 paving project from MS 302 to the Tennessee state line.

I'm guessing that there is a good chance that there will be a joint I-269 ribbon-cutting at the TN/MS state line in 2015.  TDOT's August 3 letting includes the 2.667 mile section of I-269 from the Mississippi state line to TN 385.  It will be for grading, drainage, construction of bridges, and paving with an estimated completion date of April 30, 2015 (page 4/8 of pdf):

FAYETTE AND SHELBY COUNTIES (Contract No. CNL024) Call No. 014
Project No. NH-I-269(23), 79469-3108-44, 24469-3105-44
The grading, drainage, construction of three (3) welded steel plate girder bridges, two (2) concrete Bulb-Tee beam bridges and paving on I-269 beginning at the Mississippi State line and extending to S.R. 385.
Project Length - 2.667 miles
Completion Time - On or before April 30, 2015

EDIT

Also, the paving project for the final 8.294 miles of the TN 385 section of I-269 will be let on August 3 (page 7/8 of pdf):

SHELBY AND FAYETTE COUNTIES (Contract No. CNL263) Call No. 034
Project No. NH-I-269(19), 79469-3106-44, 24269-3104-44
The paving on I-269 (S.R. 385) beginning at S.R. 57 (Poplar Avenue) and extending to S.R. 193 (Macon Road).
Project Length - 8.294 miles
Completion Time - On or before September 30, 2013

Once construction on these projects begins, all of Tennessee's part of I-269 will be scheduled to be completed by 2015, with the short exception of the new terrain I-69/ I-269 interchange northwest of Memphis.

codyg1985

^ I am looking at the plans now, and it appears that this segment will be signed as I-269 when finished. :o
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Signs on I-269 North approaching TN 385

Signs on US 72 east approaching I-269
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

^ Control cities of Evansville, IN and Shreveport, LA?  :-o back at you.

NE2

Shreveport's stupid; I'd use Jackson, MS instead. But Evansville does make sense.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

codyg1985

Quote from: NE2 on July 06, 2012, 11:09:10 PM
Shreveport's stupid; I'd use Jackson, MS instead. But Evansville does make sense.

It will be probably decades before one could use I-69/269 to get to Shreveport. Evansvile may happen sooner, but not anytime soon.

Either way, I think these signs are simply a reference and are not to be installed as part of the project. They don't appear on the signage schedule. However, the I-269 reassurance shields and the I-269 0.2 mile markers do show up on the signage schedule.
Cody Goodman

golden eagle

True enough, they may not be the actual control cities, but 269 won't come close enough to Jackson to used as a control city. Maybe Houston? I can see Evansville being used as a control city, but what are the chances Indianapolis might be used instead?

NE2

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 06, 2012, 11:12:18 PM
Quote from: NE2 on July 06, 2012, 11:09:10 PM

It will be probably decades before one could use I-69/269 to get to Shreveport. Evansvile may happen sooner, but not anytime soon.
The future I-69 corridor is how you'd go to Evansville from I-269 currently.

Quote from: golden eagle on July 07, 2012, 12:03:54 AM
True enough, they may not be the actual control cities, but 269 won't come close enough to Jackson to used as a control city.
I-269 will connect to I-55 to Jackson. Shreveport traffic is probably best off going via Little Rock for now.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

I can see Evansville being used as a control city, but what are the chances Indianapolis might be used instead?

Why not split the baby and use Bloomington?  :happy:

roadman65

Quote from: Grzrd on July 07, 2012, 12:22:29 AM
I can see Evansville being used as a control city, but what are the chances Indianapolis might be used instead?

Why not split the baby and use Bloomington?  :happy:
Well if Illinois was in charge of it, then Indy would be used all the way down at interstate junctions.  Indianapolis would pose no problem if they went that way.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

english si

I agree - while it is a loop off of I-69, I-69 through to Shreveport is a long way off and the current route is awkward (probably via Jackson), whereas I-55 is there already and will meet I-269 at the same interchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.