News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Nevada

Started by gonealookin, November 27, 2018, 11:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X99

Quote from: skluth on November 01, 2019, 08:29:22 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wish we could upvote posts like this. That's hysterical.  :clap:
I said that on the "threads you'll never see on AARoads" thread a few days ago
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Kniwt

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that a five-year project begins this week to update 5.7 miles of the Strip from Spring Mountain to Sahara.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/traffic/major-las-vegas-strip-road-project-kicks-off-wednesday-1895788/

QuoteThe initial lane closures are part of a $47.7 million portion of the project that will affect Las Vegas Boulevard from Spring Mountain to Sahara Avenue through early 2021.

... Each phase includes repaving Las Vegas Boulevard, water main replacements, adding an additional fourth lane where right of way allows, pedestrian enhancements, technology and infrastructure upgrades to the traffic system, adding LED lighting and enhancement to medians. Work on all of the phases is expected to take more than five years to complete.

... Road work will be halted during major holidays and special events such as the NFL Draft in April, CES in January and the National Finals Rodeo in December.

Project website: https://resortcorridor.com

roadfro

Quote from: Kniwt on November 18, 2019, 10:09:23 PM
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that a five-year project begins this week to update 5.7 miles of the Strip from Spring Mountain to Sahara.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/traffic/major-las-vegas-strip-road-project-kicks-off-wednesday-1895788/

Thanks for sharing this, I hadn't seen it yet.

Correction to the bolded part: The 5.7-mile project goes from I-215 to Sahara. The first phase appears to be Spring Mountain to Sahara.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

Quote from: roadfro on September 15, 2019, 11:54:13 AM
If you're planning to "Storm Area 51", don't plan on taking a picture of the "Extraterrestrial Highway" signs along SR 375.

"˜Extraterrestrial Highway' sign removed before "˜Storm Area 51' events, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 9/13/2019

Following up on this: The Extraterrestrial Highway sign has been restored. Actually a new one has been installed (identical design to previous) at a higher height to try and limit theft and vandalism.

"˜Extraterrestrial Highway' sign reappears after Storm Area 51 events, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 11/20/19
After being "abducted"  by road crews ahead of the Storm Area 51 events in September, the popular Extraterrestrial Highway sign has reappeared.

A new version of the sign was installed at the junction of state Routes 318 and 375 in Lincoln County after the former one, which was covered in stickers and graffiti, was taken down ahead of the Alienstock and Area 51 Basecamp events, the Nevada Department of Transportation said Wednesday.

The sign is the most stolen sign in the state and was installed at a taller height to reduce vandalism and theft, according to NDOT.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

There has been a recent uptick in wrong way freeway drivers in the Las Vegas area, with four instances resulting in fatalities occurring within less than a month.

Other states already using technology to combat wrong-way drivers, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 12/6/19
Technology in use in Rhode Island, Arizona and Texas may provide a road map to help Nevada prevent wrong-way crashes on Silver State roadways, officials say.

Since Nov. 14, four people have died in wrong-way crashes in Southern Nevada on Interstate 15 alone. The most recent occurred Thursday night, when two motorists were killed in a wrong-way crash on I-15 near Primm.

That crash happened just two days after a motorist was killed driving the wrong way on I-15 at Charleston Boulevard. Three weeks earlier, on Nov. 14, yet another wrong-way driver was killed on I-15 crash near Cheyenne Avenue.
<...>
Rhode Island installed a "a radar-based"  detection system called the Rhode Island Wrong-Way Mitigation Project on 24 ramps. As a wrong-way driver enters the ramp, brightly lit LED signs warn the driver they are headed the wrong way.

"If the vehicle keeps going through a couple of different zones ... it would set off an alarm in our transportation management system,"  St. Martin said.

The system notifies the Rhode Island State Police of a wrong-way driver, takes a picture of the vehicle and, if necessary, displays a message on overhead electronic message signs on the highway to warn other drivers in the immediate area that a wrong-way driver is approaching.

Drivers turn around

The system has been remarkably effective.

"An apparent wrong-way driver has gone through the system approximately 150 times,"  St. Martin said. "Of all those instances we have only had one crash and no fatalities. ... In most of the cases we are seeing the drivers turning around. It takes photos and we see vehicles stop, make a three-point turn and turn around and go back."

The Nevada Department of Transportation's pilot program is similar. The pilot system is being installed at the U.S. Highway 95 off-ramp at Durango Drive in the northwest Las Vegas Valley. The system uses a camera and an electronic sensor, which alerts wrong-way drivers on the off-ramp by triggering strobe-like beacons on wrong-way signs. The system is expected to be up and running in early 2020. Each system costs roughly $100,000 and will also alert first responders and traffic management personnel to allow for electric signage notification of oncoming drivers.

This article fails to mention (but another recent article did) that NDOT has recently installed similar wrong-way driver systems in the Reno area. They were installed a year or two ago along all US 395 off ramps between I-80 and Bordertown, as part of a bigger ITS project (that also included travel time sensors & signs, traffic cameras and DMSs). Another system was just installed along I-80 off ramps between Keystone Ave (exit 12) and Verdi as part of a repaving and safety improvements project. So I'm not sure why NDOT is having to do a "pilot project" for southern Nevada when northern Nevada has had a system in place for at least a year and is expanding it...

EDIT 12/13/19: Added underlined text to clarify.

roadfro

Apparently, there's more wrong-way driver sightings in Nevada than make the news. Hundreds have been reported this year.

Hundreds of wrong-way drivers reported on Nevada highways in 2019, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 12/12/19
The Nevada Highway Patrol has been dispatched on nearly 400 calls for wrong-way drivers in Southern Nevada so far this year, according to the agency.

Trooper Jason Buratczuk said there have been 384 calls in 2019. In 2018, there were 443.
<...>
The Highway Patrol has been dispatched on 192 calls for wrong-way drivers in Northern Nevada so far this year and 157 calls in 2018, according to Buratczuk.

The article also includes a short video that shows what the wrong-way driver system looks like.

bing101

And now Rockersk08 has released a new video on Las Vegas Freeways. Also included are sections of CC-215 where it's in the process of being converted into a freeway.

Kniwt

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports today that a $99 million contract has been awarded to replace the 15/215 interchange on the north side of Las Vegas:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/traffic/nearly-100m-contract-awarded-for-i-15-215-beltway-interchange-1935295

QuoteThe Interstate 15-215 Beltway interchange project in North Las Vegas is set to go after the state awarded a nearly $100 million contract for the work.

Contractor Fisher Sand and Gravel was awarded a $99 million contract to construct the interchange project that includes two massive concrete dual lane flyovers, the Nevada Department of Transportation announced Tuesday.

The most notable feature of the project is a 51-foot-tall, 1,800-foot-long east-to-north connection ramp. The I-15 northbound to 215 westbound flyover will be longer than the Eiffel Tower on its side.

Kniwt

The Spectrum of St. George, Utah, reports that Nevada DOT is getting ready to launch a $9.1 million rehabilitation of I-15 through Mesquite:
https://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/2020/02/18/9-million-freeway-project-planned-along-i-15-through-mesquite/4788039002/

QuoteThe $9.1 million project is expected to start this spring and finish up in the late fall, according to a press release from the Nevada Department of Transportation. New asphalt will be laid in both directions of I-15, and signs, drains and lighting will be upgraded. Additionally, the freeway bridge decks at Exit 118 and 120 will be repaired and resurfaced.

The project spans 5.3 miles through Mesquite, starting just south of West Mesquite Boulevard and continuing to the Arizona border.

Meanwhile, bridge work in the Virgin River Gorge continues on a project that's taken longer than planned:

QuoteThe project was planned to be finished this spring, but because of the additional issues found, the project has been extended into the summer.

According to Ryan Harding, a spokesperson for the Arizona Department of Transportation, during the project, crews found issues that include "deteriorated concrete, bridge abutments that need renovation and corroded fasteners that join the bridge deck to the rest of the structure," he wrote in an email.

dbz77

Quote from: Kniwt on January 14, 2020, 05:47:48 PM
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports today that a $99 million contract has been awarded to replace the 15/215 interchange on the north side of Las Vegas:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/traffic/nearly-100m-contract-awarded-for-i-15-215-beltway-interchange-1935295

QuoteThe Interstate 15-215 Beltway interchange project in North Las Vegas is set to go after the state awarded a nearly $100 million contract for the work.

Contractor Fisher Sand and Gravel was awarded a $99 million contract to construct the interchange project that includes two massive concrete dual lane flyovers, the Nevada Department of Transportation announced Tuesday.

The most notable feature of the project is a 51-foot-tall, 1,800-foot-long east-to-north connection ramp. The I-15 northbound to 215 westbound flyover will be longer than the Eiffel Tower on its side.

So CC 215 will finally be upgraded to freeway for its entire length.

I suspect it will spur development of the northwest section of the valley.

roadfro

Quote from: dbz77 on March 03, 2020, 11:29:29 PM
So CC 215 will finally be upgraded to freeway for its entire length.

I suspect it will spur development of the northwest section of the valley.

Perhaps you meant the *northeast* section of the valley?

The Valley's big housing development boom of the 1990s was majorly focused in the northwest Las Vegas valley, long before the 215 beltway even existed in that part of town. Development in the northwest has continued since (slowed substantially during the recession), but seems that the southwest valley and north/northeast are now seeing much more activity now.

The last remaining non-freeway stretch of 215 (Losee - Pecos - Lamb - just short of Range Road) is currently under conversion to freeway. After that project is done, it will just be the northern system interchanges at US 95 and I-15 that will still need work–I-15 interchange being addressed with this project, and US 95 interchange being addressed in upcoming phases of a different corridor project.

Plutonic Panda

^^^^ they can complete the loop with a road tunnel.  :bigass:

roadwaywiz95

Our next installment in the new *weekly* live broadcast (over on 'roadwaywiz') featuring AARoads Forum members will be this comprehensive Webinar introduction to the freeways of Las Vegas & vicinity. The event will kick off at 6 PM ET and will feature remote contributions from members of this forum. We look forward to seeing you there!

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

roadwaywiz95

Our next installment in the *weekly* live broadcast over on 'roadwaywiz' will be this double-header Virtual Tour presentation, where we dissect and enjoy a full-length trip along the belt highways encircling both El Paso, TX and Las Vegas, NV in real time, complete with commentary and contributions from admins/moderators/members of this forum.

The event will kick off on Saturday (4/11) at 6 PM ET and we look forward to seeing you there!

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Kniwt

The Reno Gazette-Journal reports that the speed limit on most of the new-ish Southeast Connector has been increased.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/05/14/speed-limit-southeast-connector-raised-55-mph/5189897002/

QuoteAfter a speed study on the SouthEast Connector in east Reno showed the "vast majority" of commuters traveled above the posted 45 mph speed limit, the city of Reno opted to raise the maximum speed to 55 mph.

The speed increase is effective today, according to a press released from the city of Reno. Public works crews will be installing new speed limit signs today.

The SouthEast Connector, a 5.5 mile road that stretches through Reno, Sparks and Washoe County, was opened to the public in 2018 as a northern extension of Veterans Parkway.

While the majority of the connector will increase to 55 mph, the bridge on the very northern end will increase from 40 to 45 mph. Veterans Parkway south of South Meadows Parkway will remain 45.

roadfro

Quote from: Kniwt on May 14, 2020, 07:15:00 PM
The Reno Gazette-Journal reports that the speed limit on most of the new-ish Southeast Connector has been increased.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/05/14/speed-limit-southeast-connector-raised-55-mph/5189897002/

QuoteAfter a speed study on the SouthEast Connector in east Reno showed the "vast majority" of commuters traveled above the posted 45 mph speed limit, the city of Reno opted to raise the maximum speed to 55 mph.

The speed increase is effective today, according to a press released from the city of Reno. Public works crews will be installing new speed limit signs today.

The SouthEast Connector, a 5.5 mile road that stretches through Reno, Sparks and Washoe County, was opened to the public in 2018 as a northern extension of Veterans Parkway.

While the majority of the connector will increase to 55 mph, the bridge on the very northern end will increase from 40 to 45 mph. Veterans Parkway south of South Meadows Parkway will remain 45.

Thanks for posting this. I would have missed it.

50 or 55 should have been the speed limit all along... 45mph with three lanes each way, almost out in the middle of nowhere, was way too slow.

I agree with keeping the 45mph south of South Meadows Pkwy given it narrows to two lanes and has more residential abutting. I have an office colleague who lives off of that stretch who says people speed through there all the time, and it's become worse since the SouthEast Connector portion was finished. (Although personally, that portion of Veterans Pkwy has long been planned to be part of the connector corridor, so I think planners shouldn't have allowed residential streets to open up directly to it.)

mrsman

Quote from: roadfro on May 14, 2020, 08:37:57 PM
Quote from: Kniwt on May 14, 2020, 07:15:00 PM

Thanks for posting this. I would have missed it.

50 or 55 should have been the speed limit all along... 45mph with three lanes each way, almost out in the middle of nowhere, was way too slow.

I agree with keeping the 45mph south of South Meadows Pkwy given it narrows to two lanes and has more residential abutting. I have an office colleague who lives off of that stretch who says people speed through there all the time, and it's become worse since the SouthEast Connector portion was finished. (Although personally, that portion of Veterans Pkwy has long been planned to be part of the connector corridor, so I think planners shouldn't have allowed residential streets to open up directly to it.)

From just a quick GSV, it appears that a road like this is quite similar to the "La Cienega Expy" through the Baldwin Hills of Los Angeles.  Basically an expressway, with a few occasional traffic signals.  La Cienega has even more of the characteristics of a freeway as it was planned to be part of the Laurel Canyon Freeway.  The road is now 55 mph and has been for quite a few years.  When I was younger, I remember it being signed as 45 to account for the occasional traffic signal, but I'm glad that the county raised it to a more practical speed limit (I beleive it occurred around the same time that most freeways were raised from 55 to 65).

Veterans Pkwy looks like a beautiful road.

Kniwt

After this morning's M6.5 earthquake near Tonopah, NDOT has closed US 95 from Coaldale Junction to NV 360.

https://twitter.com/nevadadot/status/1261311905165127680

https://twitter.com/nevadadot/status/1261306368964911105

Photo from Esmeralda County Sheriff's Office:

roadfro

Quote from: Kniwt on May 15, 2020, 11:54:22 AM
After this morning's M6.5 earthquake near Tonopah, NDOT has closed US 95 from Coaldale Junction to NV 360.

https://twitter.com/nevadadot/status/1261311905165127680

https://twitter.com/nevadadot/status/1261306368964911105

Photo from Esmeralda County Sheriff's Office:

The road reopened later in the afternoon after NDOT did an emergency repair.

Some of the images on NDOT's Instagram page showed earthquake caused cracks creating up to 4" gap in the asphalt and vertical surface displacements up to 4". Quite interesting.

nexus73

^^^^^ Pix like this just crack me up! ^^^^^

If you want to see some dramatic destroyed pavement photos, go check out the ones from the 1964 Good Friday quake that did so much damage to Anchorage.  Huge ground plunging took place.  Very scary looking!

Nevada got off easy in comparison.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

skluth

Quote from: nexus73 on May 16, 2020, 06:10:38 PM
^^^^^ Pix like this just crack me up! ^^^^^

If you want to see some dramatic destroyed pavement photos, go check out the ones from the 1964 Good Friday quake that did so much damage to Anchorage.  Huge ground plunging took place.  Very scary looking!

Nevada got off easy in comparison.

Rick
The 1964 Alaska Earthquake was second strongest earthquake ever measured. Horizontal shifting up to 60 feet, vertical up to 30 feet. Let's hope never to see a repeat, though we know from the geological record another monster quake like that is inevitable.

gonealookin

21 miles of US 95 will be closed for two weeks for permanent repair of the earthquake damage.  NDOT News Release

QuoteThe Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) is temporarily closing U.S. Highway 95 between the U.S. Route 6 and State Route 360 junctions from 6 a.m., June 3, through 4 p.m., June 17, in Esmeralda and Mineral counties. (This stretch of highway averages about 2,300 vehicles daily). The temporary closure is needed for $2.43 million in federally funded emergency pavement repairs along U.S. Highway 95 between Mile Markers 88.7 and 90 and Mile Marker 95 in Esmeralda County, as well as Mile Marker 2 in Mineral County.

The detour is 45 miles long, and forces trucks to climb to roughly the 7000-foot elevation at the intersection of US 6 and NV 360.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: gonealookin on May 31, 2020, 11:09:40 PM
21 miles of US 95 will be closed for two weeks for permanent repair of the earthquake damage.  NDOT News Release

QuoteThe Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) is temporarily closing U.S. Highway 95 between the U.S. Route 6 and State Route 360 junctions from 6 a.m., June 3, through 4 p.m., June 17, in Esmeralda and Mineral counties. (This stretch of highway averages about 2,300 vehicles daily). The temporary closure is needed for $2.43 million in federally funded emergency pavement repairs along U.S. Highway 95 between Mile Markers 88.7 and 90 and Mile Marker 95 in Esmeralda County, as well as Mile Marker 2 in Mineral County.

The detour is 45 miles long, and forces trucks to climb to roughly the 7000-foot elevation at the intersection of US 6 and NV 360.

Damn, at that rate it probably would be more efficient to take NV 264 and dip into California via CA 266/NV 266.

bing101

Interstate kyle does a tour on Las Vegas Freeways.

roadfro

If you're a witty or 'punny' Nevada resident, NDOT is currently holding a contest to generate new road safety messages to display on variable message signs.

www.nevadadot.com/sign

Winning messages will be announced next month and will be used on VMSs statewide.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.