News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I -40 Hernando Desoto Bridge at Memphis shutdown

Started by Wayward Memphian, May 11, 2021, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Hog

Quote from: US71 on July 27, 2021, 11:15:20 PM
I-40 bridge may reopen this weekend eastbound with westbound opening a few days later.
Gives a new meaning to Eastbound and Down ... into the Mississippi.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: renegade on July 27, 2021, 11:17:43 PM
Oops.  Must be a bad link.

I fixed the link in his post.  But I think this should be merged with the 'closed' thread anyways.

EDIT: Now merged.

CtrlAltDel

That is welcome news! I'm sure the people of Memphis will be happy about that.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

MikeTheActuary

Confirmed -- the bridge should open to eastbound traffic tomorrow afternoon.  Westbound reopening currently expected the 6th.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metro/article/23223/hernando-desoto-bridge-reopening-bridged-repairs

MikieTimT

Hopefully they leave some of the re-striping they did on I-55.  And here's hoping that the focus on the obvious bottlenecks in this area doesn't lessen to the point they don't do something about the clusterf**k Crump cloverleaf.

sparker

Quote from: MikieTimT on July 31, 2021, 11:44:38 AM
Hopefully they leave some of the re-striping they did on I-55.  And here's hoping that the focus on the obvious bottlenecks in this area doesn't lessen to the point they don't do something about the clusterf**k Crump cloverleaf.

Having used that almost-FUBAR I-55 crossing numerous times, I wholly concur with the above statement.  I'd also add that this whole situation should have opened eyes from locally all the way to Nashville (and hopefully some folks in D.C.!) about the absurdity of this dependence upon a substandard and obsolete facility.  However, the cynic in me says that the decision-makers at all levels will breathe a loud sigh of relief once I-40 opens fully, and relegate any further activity for improving (or, shall we "go big", adding) the river crossing scenario once again to the back shelf.  The idea of once again having to endure a single crossing for an extended period may scare TDOT and associates to the point that they just don't consider any potential closure of I-55 to be politically feasible due to public inconvenience.  We shall see -- but for the time being it's likely to be business as usual.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ilpt4u

Quote from: US71 on July 31, 2021, 11:09:29 PM
I-40 Bridge Eastbound  OPEN
Google Maps hasn't yet got the message - still reporting both directions are closed

I would think Google would figure that out pretty quickly, tracking more cell phones crossing EB via the I-40 bridge

BTW in that article about EB I-40 reopening on the bridge, there is a blurb about the Crump Interchange work beginning in 2022...anyone got any more details on that?

rickmastfan67

vdeane

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 01, 2021, 12:12:31 AM
Google Maps hasn't yet got the message - still reporting both directions are closed

I would think Google would figure that out pretty quickly, tracking more cell phones crossing EB via the I-40 bridge

BTW in that article about EB I-40 reopening on the bridge, there is a blurb about the Crump Interchange work beginning in 2022...anyone got any more details on that?
What's really weird is that Google seems to think the closure was extended.  Yesterday they were showing "closed until 10PM", now they say "closed until August 17" (westbound still shows "closed until August 6").  What the heck, Google?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Thegeet

Quote from: vdeane on August 01, 2021, 10:09:05 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on August 01, 2021, 12:12:31 AM

What's really weird is that Google seems to think the closure was extended.  Yesterday they were showing "closed until 10PM", now they say "closed until August 17" (westbound still shows "closed until August 6").  What the heck, Google?
I'm more surprised it doesn't say closed until October, like other roads.

capt.ron

I'm seeing traffic on both sides of the bridge on the traffic cams right now (1:25 pm my time). Perhaps it's 100% open as of today?

MikieTimT

Quote from: capt.ron on August 02, 2021, 02:25:19 PM
I'm seeing traffic on both sides of the bridge on the traffic cams right now (1:25 pm my time). Perhaps it's 100% open as of today?

Looking at several SmartWay cameras, I only see eastbound traffic, and not a ton in particular.  Maybe the traffic on Arkansas' camera just to the west has traffic entering westbound on the Arkansas side of the bridge.

MikieTimT

Nevermind.  I do see some stragglers going westbound using the bridge, so either they opened it, or there's some going around barriers.

US71

ARDOT reports ALL lanes open (both directions) as of 3pm CDT

MikieTimT

Traffic still looks pretty light at this point on the cameras.  Word hasn't spread just yet on the VMS's and media outlets I guess.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on August 02, 2021, 05:11:18 PM
Traffic still looks pretty light at this point on the cameras.  Word hasn't spread just yet on the VMS's and media outlets I guess.

There's a joke on Facebook to the effect of "you go first"

sprjus4

Saw a VMS on I-30 just east of Texarkana saying I-40 bridge at Memphis is open both directions.

kenarmy

Finally, I won't have to see a VMS everyday reminding me to take an alternate route even though I'm already on the alternate route. And live 3+ hours away  :D.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

ixnay

US71

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/23295/hernando-desoto-bridge-inspection-ardot

ARDOT officials have yet to explain how multiple inspections missed the potentially catastrophic crack that closed the bridge in May.

bwana39

Quote from: US71 on August 04, 2021, 08:28:47 PM
https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/23295/hernando-desoto-bridge-inspection-ardot

ARDOT officials have yet to explain how multiple inspections missed the potentially catastrophic crack that closed the bridge in May.

You have to realize that it was found by a guy who looked to make sure there was no river traffic below  before he spit over the side.....
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

edwaleni

I thought they had a whole press conference on it. The guy said he inspected the bridge and signed the documents falsely and was fired.

What we haven't heard is the changes in the process ARDOT was taking on to protect against a repeat occurrence.

Thegeet

Quote from: edwaleni on August 05, 2021, 03:12:19 PM

I thought they had a whole press conference on it. The guy said he inspected the bridge and signed the documents falsely and was fired.

What we haven't heard is the changes in the process ARDOT was taking on to protect against a repeat occurrence.
I swear, if they pass off mistakes like this, this would be a recipe for disaster.

kalvado

Quote from: edwaleni on August 05, 2021, 03:12:19 PM

I wonder if that is available anywhere.
And if that is really the case, things should escalate quite a bit, as inspection report is submitted to FHWA, so feds could take an issue with overall situation.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.