Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

CA 73

(1/1)

Max Rockatansky:
I wanted to do something different on the Gribblenation blog so I dug up CA 73 given I clinched it by accident back in 2011.  Interestingly while most of the focus with CA 73 is with the Corona del Mar Freeway and San Joaquin Hills Tollway there is a interesting back story with the older surface alignments.  I was able to find a June 1941 CHPW article detailing the construction of the Main Street Extension which became CA 73 via MacArthur Boulevard in 1964:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/10/california-state-route-73.html

M3100:
I do like this alternative as a 'bypass' when I-405 is too busy.  However, one does get lower gas mileage along this route because of its hilly profile.

What I also like is that this route enables one to 'pay later' using the toll roads website (as do some of the other Orange County toll routes).  I do not travel toll roads/lanes often enough to justify getting a toll reader for my car.

JustDrive:
One thing Iíve always found interesting about CA 73 is that even with the toll road alignment, the mileposts begin at 10.00 at the 5 interchange

RZF:

--- Quote from: JustDrive on November 26, 2021, 07:56:25 PM ---One thing Iíve always found interesting about CA 73 is that even with the toll road alignment, the mileposts begin at 10.00 at the 5 interchange

--- End quote ---

According to CA Highways, there are plans to connect it with CA 241. However, I don't see any solid, materialized plans. So, with nothing really conjured, why would they want to start the postmile log at 10?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version