News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Officail Announcement Memphis Road Meet April 28!

Started by jpi, January 20, 2012, 05:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: jpi on February 09, 2012, 03:49:00 PM
Thanks for the pic. I did mention about Sam Cooper BLVD in the meet announcment, I have not even been on Sam Cooper myself, just all of the interstates and some at grade boulavards. Also been to the zoo too.

It is definitely worth a quick look. Andy and I checked it out in 2010 and found at least three signs for westbound on-ramps to Little Rock and one pull-through panel on the mainline.

Alps

Quote from: Alex on February 09, 2012, 03:32:00 PM

And if anyone wants to check out Sam Cooper Boulevard, there's still a set of black/white guide signs near the west end.
Wait, what the heck? I was there and I didn't see them.

Alex

Quote from: Steve on February 09, 2012, 05:49:25 PM

And if anyone wants to check out Sam Cooper Boulevard, there's still a set of black/white guide signs near the west end.

As that road has a lot of trees, the signs kind of sneak up on you. We had to double back around so I could shoot them again.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Steve on February 09, 2012, 05:49:25 PM

Don't feel bad. I've been on Sam Cooper several times (back when I was doing research in Memphis for my grad work at LSU) and I don't remember seeing that bridge and signs either.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

wriddle082

Now it's looking like I may not be able to go, but we'll have to see how it goes.

My company has some hot projects in the Charleston/North Charleston area that we have the entire month of April to work on, and I may not be able to break away.

But if I were to go, it would definitely be a perfect opportunity to use up some points for a free hotel room!  Plus I'd be able to take the I-20 - US 78 route up there (for some reason I don't have I-20 clinched b/w Atlanta and Birmingham), and I'd finally be able to check out the I-22 interchange construction in Birmingham en route.

NE2

I would presume that photo is on East Parkway approaching Union Avenue...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

I'm gonna see if I can possibly swing from Memphis to Joliet in a week. Call it a maybe.

mightyace

^^^

I understand.  With any group more than 2-4 people, it is very hard if not impossible to find a date that works for everyone.

Enjoy everyone.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

mightyace

As I said in the discussion thread for selecting a date, that hits the peak weekend for my company.  (IRS Tax Deadline)

While I won't say it's impossible, it's highly unlikely.

So, enjoy everyone.

I would really like to go.  Memphis is the one "big city" in Tennessee that I haven't spent much time in or around.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on February 12, 2012, 09:35:31 PM
I'm gonna see if I can possibly swing from Memphis to Joliet in a week. Call it a maybe.

Sure you can. Gives you your chance to check out the damaged bridge in Western Kentucky, among other things in the area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Quote from: hbelkins on February 13, 2012, 09:22:19 PM

Sure you can. Gives you your chance to check out the damaged bridge in Western Kentucky, among other things in the area.
HB does have a point. The bridge is just a couple hours from Memphis.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

I'd be going the opposite way - up to Route 66, over to Tulsa, around through Green Bay, down to Joliet.

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on February 14, 2012, 12:37:24 AM

I'd be going the opposite way - up to Route 66, over to Tulsa, around through Green Bay, down to Joliet.

Should still be do-able, depending on where you plan to hit 66. Sunday travels would get you to that point, and you could check out the bridge(s) that day. I'm presuming you plan to overnight in Tulsa. So that's Monday and Tuesday to do 66 from Illinois to Tulsa, Wednesday and Thursday to get back up toward Green Bay, and Friday to finish up the exploration there and make Joliet by nightfall on Friday.

The trip to Memphis might give you a chance to pick up some of the routing that you wanted to use when you were hoping to come down here a couple of weekends ago.

jpi

I hate to spring this on everyone, I know I had 4/14 set in stone
however, something has come up, I do not want to cancel this meet but would
moveing it to Saturday 4/28 be better for everyone? I have not said
anything on facebook yet (I would not be until later this evening anyway)
I'm sorry guys but if April 28 would be a better option, I will make the
change in the next 48 hours.
Just let me know.
Thanks for your understanding. :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

Quote from: jpi on February 15, 2012, 03:27:09 PM
I hate to spring this on everyone, I know I had 4/14 set in stone
however, something has come up, I do not want to cancel this meet but would
moveing it to Saturday 4/28 be better for everyone? I have not said
anything on facebook yet (I would not be until later this evening anyway)
I'm sorry guys but if April 28 would be a better option, I will make the
change in the next 48 hours.
Just let me know.
Thanks for your understanding. :-)

Iffy.
I have a small Ren-Faire I'm supposed to go on the 28th, but it may be cancelled. If it cancels, I can do the Road Meet that weekend.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Darkchylde

That might be a better date for me to make, it'd give me more time to scrape together money for gas and a motel room.

jpi

Ok, the date is now officially changed to April 28, still a Saturday, same time, same place. This may give more people time to plan and prep if anyone is interested, I am also seeing what else may be going on that weekend outside of our road activities.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Quote from: Darkchylde on February 15, 2012, 09:46:26 PM
That might be a better date for me to make, it'd give me more time to scrape together money for gas and a motel room.
There is a Microtel in Cordova right by the where the restaurant is, I booked a room there for Steph and I and the rate is pretty good.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

Quote from: jpi on February 15, 2012, 10:30:05 PM
There is a Microtel in Cordova right by the where the restaurant is, I booked a room there for Steph and I and the rate is pretty good.

What kind of deal did you get? Most of the stuff I've found in the area is $$, but I'm looking at a Quality about 5 miles away. I don't have enough points for a free night yet, but I figure if I reserve now, I may get a better rate.

Addendum:
OK, looks like around $48 for Microtel. May be the best deal.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

If I go, you're welcome to crash in whatever room I grab. But I don't think I can make it and do what I want on vacation.

hbelkins

Quote from: jpi on February 15, 2012, 10:30:05 PM

I think that's the Microtel where I stayed when I was on a trip several years ago (circa 2006). It was a nice place at that time.

jpi

That Microtel is nice, Steph and I stayed there several years ago, may have been our first trip to Memphis back in the fall 03. Thanks everyone for your patience with this date change, hopefully this may help out.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

codyg1985

If there is a meet and greet the night before I may be tempted to come the day before and get a motel room. Otherwise, I will probably drive in the day of the meet.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

rawmustard

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 16, 2012, 07:35:26 AM
If there is a meet and greet the night before I may be tempted to come the day before and get a motel room. Otherwise, I will probably drive in the day of the meet.

I know if I come, I'll be in the night before. It's not unusual for some of us who are in town for a meet the night before to have an impromptu gathering with dinner and drinks.

Darkchylde

Quote from: Steve on February 15, 2012, 10:53:28 PM
If I go, you're welcome to crash in whatever room I grab. But I don't think I can make it and do what I want on vacation.
Well, if I make it either. I need a $300 root canal. Gonna try to squeeze in both.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.