News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Beverly Hills Freeway (unbuilt SR-2)

Started by sdmichael, April 10, 2013, 07:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdmichael

I have been working on an addition to my Los Angeles highways page and it is mostly complete. A long while back, I obtained Caltrans right-of-way maps that showed in fairly good detail the routing of the Beverly Hills Freeway from the Glendale Blvd terminus through to West Hollywood just past La Cienega Blvd. Maps are coming soon - but what I have posted is fairly detailed.

http://www.scvresources.com/highways/la_highways/beverly-hills-freeway/

andy3175

Great find, thanks for sharing SDMichael!

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

sdmichael

A small update to the page - I added maps of the proposed 101 / 2 Interchange. There are more to post, once I get a scan of the maps.

kurumi

This is great; thanks for digging this up!
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

sdmichael

I also have the right of way maps for the 710 between the 210/134 and the 10. I may post something similar for that freeway as well.

sdmichael

More photos have been added to the Beverly Hills Freeway page including a 1960 aerial view and photos of the eastbound through lanes for the original Santa Monica Freeway.

sdmichael

I just posted a big update to the page - Right of Way maps showing the proposed route, bridges, ramps, and local roadway modifications from Glendale Blvd west to Santa Monica Blvd.

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Desert Man

I could imagine Hollywood and the city of West Hollywood, back then was unincorporated was served by a freeway crossing some of their neighborhoods. How come the "Beverly Hills" Freeway project was halted...had local residents protested against the idea to put a stop to it? Today, West Hollywood is a trendy urban community known for walkable streets connecting pedestrians to Santa Monica Boulevard and preferably for a less hustle environment.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

mrsman

This was an amazing set of maps.  I grew up on one of the blocks that would have been taken down by this freeway, near La Brea and Melrose.  Caltrans had bought many of the homes along the right of way, but did not demolish any of them.  I believe they rented the homes to people to live in, while they were finalizing their plans.  When the freeway was cancelled, due primarily to the opposition of the rich and politically powerful in Beverly Hills, Caltrans sold the homes back to the former owners, for the most part.  In some cases, the former owner did not want or could not buy back the homes, so Caltrans put the homes on auction.  My parents, who were living in an apartment in Pico/Robertson at the time, and having two kids were interested in buying a home, and purchased one of the homes in the auction.

emory

At this point I'll be satisfied if they simply connect the Glendale Freeway to US 101, for my commute's sake!

Henry

Always nice to find maps of old proposed freeways. It's a shame this (like most others) did not get built.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

pctech

Very nice, enjoyed your website! I suspect the freeway building era is done in the U.S.

Mark

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.