News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

When Mississippi opens their segment of I-69 near Greenville, what are the chances it will be signed as such? I'm hoping it becomes Bypass 82 so mainline 82 will remain through town.

Grzrd

^ The 82 bypass is not part of the proposed I-69.  Froggie has a webpage with a good map showing the relationship between I-69, 82 bypass, and a proposed I-169 connecting the two routes: http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/i169.htm

golden eagle

I've noticed that the mile markers on I-55 in the Jackson area are now marked every quarter mile. Has this been done on all the interstates in the state?

Ace10

Quote from: golden eagle on November 04, 2012, 01:19:59 AM
I've noticed that the mile markers on I-55 in the Jackson area are now marked every quarter mile. Has this been done on all the interstates in the state?

Not all interstates. I normally drive I-110 at least every other week... which, now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever seen mile markers on I-110. But I drive I-10 occasionally and didn't notice any every 1/4 mile - just the usual one per mile. So it's definitely not a statewide thing. Perhaps in major metropolitan areas (if you can consider Jackson a major metropolitan area) the state is installing them every 1/4 mile.

Ace10

http://www.sunherald.com/2012/11/24/4321658/mdot-working-on-south-mississippi.html

QuoteMDOT working on South Mississippi projects

By MICHAEL NEWSOM – mmnewsom@sunherald.com

The state Department of Transportation has a host of South Mississippi projects that are either in progress or recently completed.

Three major projects recently wrapped up.

Interstate 10 was resurfaced from Diamondhead in Hancock County to the Wolf River in Harrison County. The $14.5 million job was handled by Huey Stockstill Inc. of Picayune. The project is the first part of I-10 to use "Open Graded Friction Course" style of paving, which decreases noise from tire friction and eliminates water spray from the road surface.

Gulf Equipment Corp. of Theodore, Ala., recently completed a $1.1 million upgrade that MDOT said made "geometric improvements" to the Bay St. Louis crossing of Mississippi 607 and U.S. 90.

TCB Construction Co. of Poplarville handled a $795,000 job at the crossing of West Wortham Road and U.S. 49 in Harrison County. A new traffic signal there became operational Nov. 15.

The following MDOT projects are in process or planned for South Mississippi:

Harrison County

Sangani Boulevard: Gulf Equipment in April began a $7.3 million reconfiguring of the Mississippi 67 and Sangani Boulevard crossing in D'Iberville. The job involves four phases -- road work, construction of an overpass, new traffic lights and a 5-foot-wide pedestrian walkway along the overpass. The job is scheduled to be done in July.

Harrison County bridge replacement: This month, Tanner Construction Co. of Ellisville, began a $6.8 million U.S. 49 bridge replacement over the Little Biloxi River. The project is expected to be done in March 2015.

Jackson County

Interchange: In February 2011, a large highway reconstruction project started at the U.S. 90 interchange of Mississippi 63 and Mississippi 611 in Jackson County. The Mississippi Development Authority gave Jackson County $35 million for the two-phase project. Tanner Construction is handling the $21 million first phase, which involves intersection and road improvements on 63 and 611.

Crews are also beginning to reconstruct Old Mobile Highway as part of the new 611 flyover project. The alternate route for local traffic to access U.S. 90 is Chevron Drive. Signs will warn people who are trying to get to businesses along Stennis Drive.

I-10 resurfacing: Mallette Brothers Construction of Gautier began a $12.5 million job in October to resurface 13 miles of I-10. The work will go from the Pascagoula River's western abutment to the Alabama state line. MDOT said the required lane closures will happen between Sunday and Thursday evenings. The work is expected to be complete in March.

Pearl River County

Mississippi 53 resurfacing: Warren Paving Inc. of Hattiesburg is close to finishing a resurfacing job on six miles of Mississippi 53. The job is worth $1.2 million, MDOT said.

Mississippi 43 intersection: This month, Huey Stockstill Inc. began a $480,000 improvement project at the intersection of Mississippi 43 and Beech Street in Picayune. It calls for adding turning lanes, putting in traffic signals and making improvements to the crossing that should make it safer. The job is expected to be finished in June.

Other work

MDOT said it's also given some "transportation enhancement" projects in South Mississippi. Those projects get 80 percent of the cost funded and the other 20 percent must be covered by the local groups. Time lines for finishing the projects are still being worked out.

Gautier "streetscape" and town center development: Gautier will receive $420,000 for landscaping along U.S. 90. The work includes decorative signage.

Picayune "streetscape": Picayune is eligible for up to $160,000 for improvements along Mississippi 611, Goodyear Boulevard, Main Street and the Norfolk Southern railroad. The work includes decorative street lights, park benches, trash cans, decorative planters, street signs and a water fountain.

Hancock County/Bay St. Louis beach pathway: Hancock County and Bay St. Louis will receive up to $800,000 to extend the beach pathway to Buccaneer State Park, expand "multi-use pedestrian and bicycle pathway segments" on Old Spanish Trail and Dunbar Avenue and develop rest stops and interpretive plazas along Beach Boulevard. There's also funding for a visitor center for the Beach Boulevard Scenic Byway.

msubulldog

Quote from: Ace10 on November 04, 2012, 01:42:42 AM
Quote from: golden eagle on November 04, 2012, 01:19:59 AM

Not all interstates. I normally drive I-110 at least every other week... which, now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever seen mile markers on I-110. But I drive I-10 occasionally and didn't notice any every 1/4 mile - just the usual one per mile. So it's definitely not a statewide thing. Perhaps in major metropolitan areas (if you can consider Jackson a major metropolitan area) the state is installing them every 1/4 mile.
In many other places, they put mile markers up every tenth of a mile. To me, this is a waste of time.
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

froggie

QuoteInterstate 10 was resurfaced from Diamondhead in Hancock County to the Wolf River in Harrison County. The $14.5 million job was handled by Huey Stockstill Inc. of Picayune. The project is the first part of I-10 to use "Open Graded Friction Course" style of paving, which decreases noise from tire friction and eliminates water spray from the road surface.

IIRC, this was the last (only?) concrete section on I-10 in Mississippi.  Kinda sad to see it go.

Grzrd

Mississippi DOT ("MDOT") has posted updates for several of its Districts.

Quote from: Grzrd on June 08, 2012, 03:27:21 PM
This June 1, 2012 article indicates that paving should begin in two to three weeks:
A contract has been let and paving is expected to begin within 30 days on the final 11 miles of four lane for new Mississippi Highway 6, Mississippi Department of Transportation officials confirmed this week ...
paving should begin in three to four weeks ... "The completion date is set for Oct. 1, 2013," Benson said.
Once this last segment is paved, Mississippi 6 four lane will run from Interstate 55 at Batesville to U.S. 45 four lane in Tupelo.

MDOT's District One Updates indicates that the expected completion date for the MS 6 paving project has been pushed back to June 2014:

State Route 6 Paving Project in Pontotoc and Lee Counties
A paving project on the relocated State Route 6 from State Route 342 in Pontotoc County to U.S. Highway 45 south of Tupelo in Lee County, is underway and is approximately 40% complete.  This project was let in April 2012 with a projected completion date of June 2014.  The contractor on this $26,063,700 project is APAC-Mississippi, Inc.  This is a four-lane section and will tie the relocated State Route 6 from State Route 342 in Pontotoc County into U.S. Highway 45 in Tupelo.

lamsalfl

All of the resurfacings on I-10 have been fantastic.  Very quiet drive on that asphalt.

brownpelican

Weather has delayed the opening of the East Metro Parkway. Originally scheduled to open two weeks ago, it appears that it'll be the middle of this month before it opens to traffic, according to Pearl Mayor Brad Rogers.

http://www.wapt.com/news/central-mississippi/East-Metro-Parkway-expected-to-open-in-few-weeks/-/9156946/18401020/-/injaoez/-/index.html

SSF

Officials said crews still have some paving and stripping to do.

good God I hope not, at least with the crews I have seen.

anyways, not a surprise that weather delayed the project.  13 of the first 17 days of January there was measurable rainfall in Jackson and it finished with a 3 inch rainfall surplus over average.

golden eagle

I was out that way over the weekend. The striping is pretty much that needs to be done. You can only go so far as the JCPenney store before being greeted with a "Road Closed" sign.

froggie

Would this be the proposed parkway that'll connect I-20 with Lakeland via the east side of the airport?

golden eagle

Yes.

BTW, the reconstructed intersection near the airport on 471 is complete. Now, you no longer have to go through the roundabout to get to US 80 or I-20.

olemissfan

is it just me, or is 55 through batesville in need of widening? and that exit 243 (i think) interchange off 55 needing to be reconstructed?

golden eagle

I wouldn't justify widening at this point. Yeah, it is a little busy, but still not enough. But that's just my opinion. I could listen to an argument for reconstruction.

codyg1985

^ MDOT let a project in its September 25, 2012 letting for interchange improvements to that interchange.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

codyg1985

Continuing to look through some MDOT letting information, a project was also awarded in the September 25 2012 letting for the grade and drain for the MS 25 bypass of Amory. It is noted on the plan index that this will be a freeway.
Cody Goodman

lordsutch

Yep, this is the first stage of the Monroe County Parkway [sic] project, which by state law has to be constructed to freeway standards within the county; it's supposed to eventually extend from US 45 to the Corridor X/V interchange in Itawamba County.  I went to a public meeting on the project back around 2000 or so in Amory.

golden eagle

msunat97

Any new information on the Highway 82 / Greenville Bypass?

pctech

That new pavement on I-10 west of Gulfport is nice! Repels water very well, I noticed that it makes a "singing" sound similar to rough surfaced concrete. MDOT is doing a nice job of upgrading I-10 along the gulf coast.

Mark

codyg1985

Quote from: pctech on March 25, 2013, 11:48:36 AM
That new pavement on I-10 west of Gulfport is nice! Repels water very well, I noticed that it makes a "singing" sound similar to rough surfaced concrete. MDOT is doing a nice job of upgrading I-10 along the gulf coast.

Mark

Sounds like Open Graded Friction Course pavement (pun intended).  :colorful:
Cody Goodman

froggie

Guess that means the last stretch of I-10 original concrete (near Menge Ave/Exit 24) has been paved over.

cjk374

Quote from: froggie on March 26, 2013, 08:37:49 AM
Guess that means the last stretch of I-10 original concrete (near Menge Ave/Exit 24) has been paved over.
I drove I-10 Saturday and Sunday.  I believe there is still one last stretch of native concrete on the eastern end from the AL state line for (IIRC) about 20 miles.  It is still in very good condition.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.