News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

I always found Mackinaw Island's M-185 designation to be odd, considering that motor vehicle traffic is banned from using the roadway.

catch22

List of Michigan highways and freeways with new increased speed limits (first three on the list effective May 1, others to come later this year):

Limited-access freeways (75 MPH)

I-75 — Bay City to US-23 in Mackinaw City (Bay, Arenac, Ogemaw, Roscommon, Crawford, Otsego, Cheboygan, and Emmet counties), and St. Ignace to Sault Ste. Marie (Mackinac and Chippewa counties)

US-127 — I-69 to the end of the freeway at St. Johns (Clinton County), and the beginning of the freeway at Ithaca to I-75 (Gratiot, Isabella, Clare, Roscommon, and Crawford counties)

US-131 — M-57 to the end of the freeway north of Manton (Kent, Montcalm, Mecosta, Osceola, and Wexford counties)

I-69 — I-69 Business Route (Saginaw Highway) to Swartz Creek (Clinton, Shiawassee, and Genesee counties)

I-69 — From the Genesee/Lapeer county line to I-94 (Genesee, Lapeer, and St. Clair counties)

US-10 — M-115 to I-75 (Clare, Isabella, Midland, and Bay counties)

US-31 — South Oceana County line to US-10 (Oceana and Mason counties)

Highways  (65 MPH)

US-2 — Wakefield to Iron River (Gogebic and Iron counties)

US-2 — St. Ignace to Rapid River (Mackinac, Schoolcraft, and Delta counties)

US-23 — East of Cheboygan to east of M-65 (Cheboygan and Presque Isle counties)

US-45 — North of US-2 to M-26 (Gogebic and Ontonagon counties)

M-28 — East of Harvey to Christmas (Marquette and Alger counties)

M-28 — Munising to I-75 (Alger, Schoolcraft, Luce, and Chippewa counties)

M-28 — Wakefield to US-41 (Gogebic, Ontonagon, Houghton, and Baraga counties)

M-32 — Atlanta to Alpena (Montmorency and Alpena counties)

M-33 — Atlanta to Onaway (Montmorency and Presque Isle counties)

M-37 — Mesick to Wolf Lake (Wexford and Lake counties)

M-55 — US-31 to Cadillac West (Manistee and Wexford counties)

M-64 — M-28 to Old M-107 (Ontonagon County)

M-65 — US-23 to M-32 west junction (Arenac, Iosco, Alcona, and Alpena counties)

M-65 — M-32 east junction to US-23 (Alpena and Presque Isle counties)

M-68 — I-75 to US-23 (Cheboygan and Presque Isle counties)

M-72 — Grayling to Mio (Crawford and Oscoda counties)

M-72 — Fairview to M-65 north junction (Oscoda and Alcona counties)

M-72 — M-65 south junction to Harrisville (Alcona County)

M-77 — US-2 to M-28 (Schoolcraft County)

M-115 — Benzonia to Mesick (Benzie and Wexford counties)

M-123 — I-75 to Paradise (Mackinac and Chippewa counties)

M-231 — M-45 to M-104 (Ottawa County)

MDOT Press Release:

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MIDOT/bulletins/1968d0a

Map:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/MDOT_SpeedLimitIncreases2017Map_558274_7.pdf

JREwing78

I see this list as a work in progress. To wit:

- Not a single mile of US-41 in the state (aside from the 4-lane segment north of Gladstone) will be posted for 65. I can understand slower limits around Houghton/Hancock and Marquette, but there's nothing about those stretches of road that couldn't handle 65 mph.

- US-141 completely excluded? (Aside from the 5-mile multiplex with M-28) Are you kidding me?

- M-77 included, but M-117 isn't?

- M-95, M-69, and M-35 are not included at all.

- Neither is M-26 or M-38

You get the picture...

My guess is that, with the 2-lanes, you'll see more stretches for 60 or 65 pop up over time. I would also not be shocked to see US-31 between Holland and Grand Haven, and US-131 between Portage and Three Rivers eventually rise to 65 (though those may come after work to remove/relocate median crossovers and other entry points is done, much like US-127 between Ithaca and St. Johns).

I'd also expect that 75 will eventually spread to more sections of freeway; I-196 south of Holland and I-69 south of Lansing would be suitable for 75, being (relatively) lightly trafficked and more modern design. US-131 south of Grand Rapids and US-127 south of Lansing might merit an increase if cable-median or a median barrier were installed.

JREwing78

Not mentioned in the media, but conspicuous by its appearance in the act:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2015-2016/publicact/pdf/2016-PA-0445.pdf

(4) Where the posted speed limit is greater than 65 miles per hour, a person operating a school bus, a truck with a
gross weight of 10,000 pounds or more, a truck-tractor, or a truck-tractor with a semi-trailer or trailer or a combination
of these vehicles shall not exceed a speed of 65 miles per hour on a limited access freeway or a state trunk line highway.

It would appear that a raise in the truck speed limit is on its way to pretty much the entire Michigan freeway network. Or, at least, it's now possible.

ftballfan

M-231 should have been 65 from the day it opened. Eastmanville will LOVE this as the 65 limit might draw Allendale-bound traffic from Muskegon and points NW off of 68th Ave.

Also, here are some non-freeways that I am a little surprised aren't getting bumped up to 65:
M-20 (US-31 to US-131; US-127 to Midland)
M-45 (west of Allendale)
M-52 (Stockbridge to I-96) - was just on this stretch of road yesterday and it was so hard not to go 65+ (heck, I-94 to M-52 to I-96 may be a quicker Ann Arbor to Lansing route than US-23 to I-96)
M-55 (Lake City to Houghton Lake)
M-115 (Mesick to Cadillac; US-131 to US-10)
US-10 (Custer to M-37; Idlewild to US-131)
US-31 (Holland to Grand Haven [everyone runs 70 through there it seems like])
US-131 (south of Portage)
Also, most UP state highways should default to 65 (exceptions being those with lots of curves)

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 26, 2017, 06:38:15 PM
I see this list as a work in progress. To wit:

- Not a single mile of US-41 in the state (aside from the 4-lane segment north of Gladstone) will be posted for 65. I can understand slower limits around Houghton/Hancock and Marquette, but there's nothing about those stretches of road that couldn't handle 65 mph.

- US-141 completely excluded? (Aside from the 5-mile multiplex with M-28) Are you kidding me?

- M-77 included, but M-117 isn't?

- M-95, M-69, and M-35 are not included at all.

- Neither is M-26 or M-38

You get the picture...

My guess is that, with the 2-lanes, you'll see more stretches for 60 or 65 pop up over time. I would also not be shocked to see US-31 between Holland and Grand Haven, and US-131 between Portage and Three Rivers eventually rise to 65 (though those may come after work to remove/relocate median crossovers and other entry points is done, much like US-127 between Ithaca and St. Johns).

I'd also expect that 75 will eventually spread to more sections of freeway; I-196 south of Holland and I-69 south of Lansing would be suitable for 75, being (relatively) lightly trafficked and more modern design. US-131 south of Grand Rapids and US-127 south of Lansing might merit an increase if cable-median or a median barrier were installed.

split  bus / truck speed limits need to go.

hockeyjohn

Look left for the Mile 0 M-185 sign.   Last visit in 2014 all 7 (I believe) miles had a similar sign posted.

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 12, 2017, 10:47:17 AM
Question for everyone who's been to Mackinaw Island-- have you seen any M-185 signs posted?  If so, where on the island did you find them?

hockeyjohn

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 12, 2017, 04:27:30 PM
I always found Mackinaw Island's M-185 designation to be odd, considering that motor vehicle traffic is banned from using the roadway.

There are emergency vehicles permitted on the Mackinac Island and much of the land the road passes through is within a State Park, so it's not that odd.   

bulldog1979

Quote from: halork on April 04, 2017, 07:45:29 AM
From MDOT's Twitter:

SIGNS: US-2, M-28 in the UP will get new mile marker posts. Numbers run W to E, starting in Gogebic County. Installation planned this summer

M-28 is getting mile markers here in Marquette County, and yes, they follow the M-28 numbering sequence, not US 41. I saw MM 131 and MM 132 on the way to work last night on M-28 eastbound, and MM 126 on M-28 westbound this morning on the way home.

JREwing78

I'm on a trip to Michigan, where I had opportunity to snag pictures of the updated speed limit signs on US-127 just north of Lansing. First one is posted in the middle of the I-69 interchange. Second is immediately after the entrance ramp to NBD US-127. Note also the new truck speed limit of 65.

In my brief observation, fast traffic was moving at about the same place as before, about 80ish, while the ones sticking to the speed limit picked up the pace to the new 75 mph limit. So, less variation in speeds, which is a positive.

Other interesting oddities I've found:

- US-127 between St. Johns and Ithaca is posted for 65 for all vehicles, including trucks. That's a 10 mph bump for trucks from before.

It wasn't long ago this stretch was posted for 55 for all traffic. The new 65 mph limit is posted using the small speed limit signs normally found on 2-lane highways.

- US-127 south of I-69 is posted with a 70 mph car limit, and a 65 mph truck speed limit at least as far south as Leslie, and likely to Jackson.

- So far, no other roads in the area have the new speed limits, car or truck. Not that trucks would be all that enamored with a faster limit on I-69 east of I-96 - the right lane has been pounded to death by truck traffic, while the left lane is relatively smooth by comparison.

I saw at least 4 cars on the shoulder of I-69 today with blowouts. Wisconsin residents don't know what crappy roads look like.

I didn't see any changes on I-94 either. If there's a road in desperate need of a higher truck speed limit, that one is it. It would get trucks to take less than 5 miles to pass each other.

- A side note: Saginaw St (Bus I-69) through East Lansing looks like it's been used for Air Force bombing practice. It's not quite ready for 4x4 only signs, but it's close.

cwm1276

The trucks on 94 make it driving it so frustrating.    I was in Lansing last week and always coming home on 94 it can take a while for traffic to open up.  The section between 69 and Kalamazoo seems to be the worst usually.  Especially after driving 69 down from Lansing which has a third of the traffic of 94.

JREwing78

It's often worth the additional drive time for me to take M-60 to US-12 to US-31 to the Indiana toll road, just to not have to deal with I-94 truck traffic.

SM-G950U

captkirk_4

Quote from: JREwing78 on May 28, 2017, 10:26:08 AM
It's often worth the additional drive time for me to take M-60 to US-12 to US-31 to the Indiana toll road, just to not have to deal with I-94 truck traffic.

SM-G950U

I tried that and found it slow on those two lanes. Also the Indiana tollway is completely torn up from South Bend all the way to 94. Must be 6 or 7 long slow construction zones in that stretch.

I-69 from I-94 to the Indiana State Line is quite empty and always a breeze to drive. It could easily be 75, that's what I set my cruise control anyway when on that stretch.

JREwing78

Quote from: captkirk_4 on June 10, 2017, 11:13:26 AM
Quote from: JREwing78 on May 28, 2017, 10:26:08 AM

SM-G950U

I tried that and found it slow on those two lanes. Also the Indiana tollway is completely torn up from South Bend all the way to 94. Must be 6 or 7 long slow construction zones in that stretch.

There's no escaping the construction in NW Indiana this year. They'll get you one way or the other.

I-69 could certainly support a 75 mph limit, aside possibly from pavement quality. The trucks beat the hell out of the right lane.

JREwing78

aboges26

My parents drove M-65 from US 23 to M-72 today and its 65 MPH speed limit was posted, but oddly enough M-72 was not posted yet for its 65 MPH speed limit going towards Harrisville.  Any ideas on the inconsistent roll out?

Flint1979

Question for everyone who's been to Mackinaw Island-- have you seen any M-185 signs posted?  If so, where on the island did you find them?
They have signs on Mackinac Island but they aren't the same as the usual state highway signs in Michigan. They are in the same shape (a diamond) but are wooden. I believe there is only one at mile marker 0 I haven't seen any other ones.

Flint1979

Quote from: cwm1276 on May 28, 2017, 09:53:54 AM
The trucks on 94 make it driving it so frustrating.    I was in Lansing last week and always coming home on 94 it can take a while for traffic to open up.  The section between 69 and Kalamazoo seems to be the worst usually.  Especially after driving 69 down from Lansing which has a third of the traffic of 94.
Driving that stretch of 94 it has always seemed to me that it's the worst between I-69 and I-196 (which is where you get a third lane finally). Especially bad in Kalamazoo itself though. I can't at all figure out why an Interstate highway traveled as highly as I-94 is between Detroit and Chicago that it's only two lanes from Benton Harbor to Ann Arbor.

JREwing78

Quote from: aboges26 on August 27, 2017, 09:36:21 PM
My parents drove M-65 from US 23 to M-72 today and its 65 MPH speed limit was posted, but oddly enough M-72 was not posted yet for its 65 MPH speed limit going towards Harrisville.  Any ideas on the inconsistent roll out?

They have to restripe and resign the passing zones to account for the higher speeds, which takes some time to perform. It's not like on the freeways, where they can largely get away with just replacing the speed limit signs.

wanderer2575

I drove up the Thumb area to Port Austin on Friday to take a day off and get some sign photos.  A resurfacing project on M-142 east of M-19 just finished up and sign replacement was part of the project.  We now have wide M-142 shields on that stretch!  Wide shields are common on BGSs but the only other time I have seen wide M-route shields used in confirmation and trailblazer assemblies is the original signing of M-553 in the Upper Peninsula.

GaryV

Detroit News reports that MDOT will finish the I-75 rebuild in Oakland County 10 years ahead of original schedule (2020 instead of 2030):

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2017/09/18/mdot-may-finish-75-oakland-co-2020/677158001/

getemngo

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 17, 2017, 11:42:50 AM
I drove up the Thumb area to Port Austin on Friday to take a day off and get some sign photos.  A resurfacing project on M-142 east of M-19 just finished up and sign replacement was part of the project.  We now have wide M-142 shields on that stretch!  Wide shields are common on BGSs but the only other time I have seen wide M-route shields used in confirmation and trailblazer assemblies is the original signing of M-553 in the Upper Peninsula.

The wide shields are definitely being rolled out beyond M-553 now. At last year's Battle Creek meet, we saw M-294 using 3-digit shields.
~ Sam from Michigan

bessertc

Quote from: getemngo on October 03, 2017, 11:00:54 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 17, 2017, 11:42:50 AM

The wide shields are definitely being rolled out beyond M-553 now. At last year's Battle Creek meet, we saw M-294 using 3-digit shields.

I have to wonder how consistently this is being done. Mind you, I would always preach that if you're going to do an "upgrade/update" such as this (replacing standard three-digit state route markers with the wide flavor), you should do it as the markers need replacing. I've always been frustrated when signs less than 1—2 years old get replaced for reasons like this.

When signs for M-222 at the US-131 interchange near Martin were replaced in the past year, the wide variant was used, but only on the off-ramps from the freeway. On M-222 itself, all M-222 reassurance markers are still the standard squares with FHWA Series B numerals. I've been keeping my eyes pealed for wide versions of the state route marker to start appearing elsewhere, but hadn't seen many other examples yet. I don't get over to the Thumb very often, so I appreciate hearing about the M-142 markers.

I've wondered if MDOT is planning on using the wide variant for three-digit routes which don't have two 1s in their designations? (e.g. We might see the wide variant used only when they can't fit the route number in using FHWA Series C, but that's just a guess on my part.)
Drive right. Pass Left. Please!

Brandon

Quote from: JREwing78 on May 28, 2017, 01:11:29 AM
I saw at least 4 cars on the shoulder of I-69 today with blowouts. Wisconsin residents don't know what crappy roads look like.

Sure they do, if they've been to Illinois (aka FIBistan).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

dpatrickallen

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 12, 2017, 05:10:37 PM
They have signs on Mackinac Island but they aren't the same as the usual state highway signs in Michigan. They are in the same shape (a diamond) but are wooden. I believe there is only one at mile marker 0 I haven't seen any other ones.
They used to have wood versions of M-185 signs at each mile post around the loop, but most were removed a few years ago.  The last time I was there, maybe two years ago, the only wood M-185 sign that remained was at Mile 0.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.