News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

1970 Interstate proposals

Started by Alps, May 06, 2011, 05:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Henry on May 06, 2011, 10:21:03 AM
I recall drawing some of these same routes in my old atlases from my childhood! Those included the extension of the East Coast Interstate from New York to Georgia (only the Delaware part is shown there), the Rooftop Highway, and the one running up the western part of the Michigan mitt. However, I would not have guessed that before they settled on US 220 for a new Interstate corridor, they once considered US 421 from Greensboro to Wilmington via Fayetteville as a potential addition. But US 74 I definitely remember.

I preferred seeing the under construction lines stay that way and not get filled in.  I liked seeing US 66 in places and I-40 in the other places.  There is still little enough traffic in spots so that it still be viable today.  There is no need for interstates tearing up the countryside all over the place.  Why a rooftop route?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.