Who lives the closest to a numbered highway?

Started by bugo, August 12, 2014, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

getemngo

Quote from: froggie on August 12, 2014, 08:49:21 PM
QuoteI'm about 300-400 feet laterally and 120 feet vertically from US 1 south of Alexandria.

I had roughly similar dimensions from 2008-2012.  My street address was officially Richmond Hwy (US 1).

Then I moved on the opposite side of my building from US 58 in Norfolk.  Now I'm over 2.5 miles from the nearest paved road, let alone a numbered route...

I'm about 3.2 miles from M-37.

84% of Michigan residents live within 2 miles of a state trunkline... I figured my county would be an exception to that, but looking at it on Google Maps, I see very few points that are more than 4 away, and probably none over 6. And this is a state with very few state-maintained roads for its population...
~ Sam from Michigan

DBrim

I'm a block from MA114, and about 50 feet from a sign erroneously signing my street as such.

PHLBOS

Quote from: DBrim on September 18, 2014, 11:05:14 PM
I'm a block from MA114, and about 50 feet from a sign erroneously signing my street as such.
Being a North Shore native; I believe I know the location and the MassDOT D6/D8 signs (aka Paddle LGS') you're referring to.  Those signs should contain the word TO in front of the 114 shields.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

DBrim

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 19, 2014, 10:33:43 AM
Quote from: DBrim on September 18, 2014, 11:05:14 PM
Being a North Shore native; I believe I know the location and the MassDOT D6/D8 signs (aka Paddle LGS') you're referring to.  Those signs should contain the word TO in front of the 114 shields.
I've moved to Salem since the last time I wasn't lazy enough to update my profile.

dfwmapper

Surely a countless number of people live in houses or apartment buildings in the middle of the one-way couplets that many numbered highways take through the downtown areas of most cities. Does that count as a negative distance?

Billy F 1988

I am apporximately 8/10's of a mile from US 93 Business and US 12.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

roadman65

Quote from: dfwmapper on September 20, 2014, 12:29:00 AM
Surely a countless number of people live in houses or apartment buildings in the middle of the one-way couplets that many numbered highways take through the downtown areas of most cities. Does that count as a negative distance?
That reminds me of the Holiday Inn in Charleston, SC being in the median of US 17 south of the Ashley River!  It is not a residence, but people are living there either overnight or for a few days.  It is interesting as you sleep you have cars on a major US route surround you.

Anyway, I would think it would all count as someone fronting a numbered highway for apartments in the middle of couplets.

The ones that are interesting is where interstate alignments such as I-24 in TN (Monteagle Grade) and I-75 in OH (Cincinnati) that split ways apart and if you were to have someone live in the middle of the two roadways, but far enough in from either of that you cannot be considered fronting.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Jim

Quote from: roadman65 on September 20, 2014, 11:17:34 AM
The ones that are interesting is where interstate alignments such as I-24 in TN (Monteagle Grade) and I-75 in OH (Cincinnati) that split ways apart and if you were to have someone live in the middle of the two roadways, but far enough in from either of that you cannot be considered fronting.

I've stayed at the hotel in the median of I-84 in Massachusetts near Exit 1.  Apparently, it's a Days Inn now, but I am pretty sure it was something else when I stayed there about 10 years ago.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Jim

Driving up NY 30 in Scotch Bush today reminded me of this thread when I passed by the house whose wall can't be more than 8 or 10 feet off the pavement.

https://goo.gl/maps/aKtXZ

You can see the house in the GMSV link from the above map location.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

elsmere241

DTComposer

Currently (as the crow flies) I'm 1290 feet from CA-213.

Closest I ever was to a highway was 780 feet from I-5 in the first place I lived.

Perhaps not surprisingly living in California, I've never been more than 1.3 miles from a freeway, and I've lived at 14 different addresses.

PHLBOS

Quote from: DBrim on September 19, 2014, 06:07:15 PMI've moved to Salem since the last time I wasn't lazy enough to update my profile.
The only sign that erroneously refers to a road as MA 114 in Salem I'm aware of is the lower D8 panel facing MA 1A Southbounders at the intersection of Lafayette/Derby/New Derby Streets stating that New Derby St. is MA 114 West.  Again, there should be a TO either above or to the left of said-114 shield.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

DandyDan

A week from now, I get to move into an apartment in Mason City, Iowa that's on Iowa highway 122, although technically, the street address is on a side street.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

TR69

I'm 410 feet from KY 146.

The nearest two-digit route is 1.75 miles away, the nearest US route is 3.6 miles away, the nearest 3di is 0.71 miles away, and the nearest 2di is 3.1 miles away.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: TR69 on November 12, 2016, 09:07:25 AM
I'm 410 feet from KY 146.

The nearest two-digit route is 1.75 miles away, the nearest US route is 3.6 miles away, the nearest 3di is 0.71 miles away, and the nearest 2di is 3.1 miles away.

Isn't everybody in Kentucky within 500 feet of a numbered highway???
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

dgolub

My apartment is about half a mile from the Henry Hudson Parkway (NY 9A).  There's no entrance there, though, so you have to drive over a mile to actually get on as opposed to just looking down on it from Riverside Park.

slorydn1

It's 334 feet from my back deck to SR-1222 (no one specified signed routes)  :spin:

It's 0.48 miles from the edge of my property to US-17 Business for those who demand signage.  :)

As a very young child (too young to remember it) my back property line was approximately 500 feet from I-94.

note: distances measured in straight lines not driving distance.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

JMAN_WiS&S

I live 394 Feet from I-94 in Eau Claire, WI
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

dzlsabe

The property line of our building is ten feet from US 41.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

I'm about 1000 ft from WI 47, and road noise is not a problem.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

epzik8

This isn't me, but some relatives: My father's parents once lived maybe one-eighth of a mile from U.S. 50/301/secret I-595 outside of Annapolis, Maryland, and not much further from the south end of I-97. My mom's mother, until earlier this year, lived about 1/4 mile from U.S. 17 in North Myrtle Beach.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

mdthomas8368

From the edge of my short driveway, 3200 ft to I-840, 4300 ft to I-24, and 1.2 mi to the center of the intersection of them.

JMoses24

Quote from: JMoses24 on August 26, 2014, 11:18:54 PM
.2 miles from Kentucky SR 18.

Since I moved, my apartment complex entrance meets Ohio State Route 4 1,198 feet away. 

cl94

I live between a one-way pair containing NY 2. My building takes up the entire block, so one stairwell is at WB and the other at EB. While my address is 6th Avenue, I get into the lot from EB and exit onto WB.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.