News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I hate this song!

Started by allniter89, October 05, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thing 342

Quote from: hbelkins on October 09, 2014, 07:12:29 PM
"This Is How We Roll" by Florida-Georgia Line. It's the new theme song for the Sean Hannity show (he's friends with the group members) and I can't stand it.
To me, Florida-Georgia Line represent everything that is currently wrong with country music nowadays. Their songs all sound the same, are essentially about the same thing (partying, trucks, beer, girls, et cetera), and say absolutely nothing.

Brandon

Quote from: Thing 342 on October 10, 2014, 09:35:15 AM
"This Is How We Roll" by Florida-Georgia Line. It's the new theme song for the Sean Hannity show (he's friends with the group members) and I can't stand it.
To me, Florida-Georgia Line represent everything that is currently wrong with country music nowadays. Their songs all sound the same, are essentially about the same thing (partying, trucks, beer, girls, et cetera), and say absolutely nothing.

Funny, people have thought that for a long time.  So, "Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw".

Jimmy Buffett parodying country music in 1973.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman65

On
Quote from: Thing 342 on October 10, 2014, 09:35:15 AM
One can argue the same about Rap (and today's genre name for it called R & B, although to me R & B is classic Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind, & Fire, Lionel Richie) that its music all is the same being about scoring with ladies, hating cops, and getting high.

BTW I am not debating Rap and R & B, but to point out that all genres lately play the same topics.  I just used that as an example. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on October 10, 2014, 09:43:54 AM
Funny, people have thought that for a long time.  So, "Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw".

Jimmy Buffett parodying country music in 1973.

Ha. I always thought that was just a brutally honest love song.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kurumi

The mid to late 1980s killed album-oriented rock and prog rock. New music of that sort is still being made, but no longer on commercial radio.

Many good rock acts from the 1970s just fell apart around 1985: Rush, Yes, Genesis, Foreigner, Heart, ELP...

Compare 1977 Heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0OX_8YvFxA to 1986 Heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5GGMhmo-M -- that sort of thing was happening left and right.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman65

Steve Winwood changed his sound in the mid 80's with Back In The High Life.  Although Bring Me Your Higher Love was one of his biggest hits ever, still it was the first song that was of the new era which ended up him losing his traditional sound.

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

interestingly, while I love Stevie Nicks and that whole era of Fleetwood Mac ... I can't stand Landslide.  I'm not sure how it became a staple; I find it tuneless and muddled.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

I love the Beatles but I can't stand Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da or Good Day Sunshine. I cringed when Paul McCartney played Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da when I saw him last year.

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 10, 2014, 04:27:37 PM
interestingly, while I love Stevie Nicks and that whole era of Fleetwood Mac ... I can't stand Landslide.  I'm not sure how it became a staple; I find it tuneless and muddled.

Two words: Billy Corgan

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on October 10, 2014, 04:30:03 PM

those are, indeed, two words, but I am not seeing the connection.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Quote from: roadman65 on October 10, 2014, 09:47:28 AM
One can argue the same about Rap (and today's genre name for it called R & B, although to me R & B is classic Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind, & Fire, Lionel Richie) that its music all is the same being about scoring with ladies, hating cops, and getting high.

Rap and R&B are totally different genres.

amroad17

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: kurumi on October 10, 2014, 11:35:59 AM
The mid to late 1980s killed album-oriented rock and prog rock. New music of that sort is still being made, but no longer on commercial radio.

Many good rock acts from the 1970s just fell apart around 1985: Rush, Yes, Genesis, Foreigner, Heart, ELP...

Compare 1977 Heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0OX_8YvFxA to 1986 Heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5GGMhmo-M -- that sort of thing was happening left and right.

Let's not forget that around then all those bands committed rock 'n' roll's most unforgivable act: they got old.  Rock is a young person's game.  It's hard to stay relevant over a whole career, harder still to do so and stay interesting. 

kurumi

Quote from: roadman65 on October 10, 2014, 12:08:57 PM
Steve Winwood changed his sound in the mid 80's with Back In The High Life.  Although Bring Me Your Higher Love was one of his biggest hits ever, still it was the first song that was of the new era which ended up him losing his traditional sound.

That song has almost all the late 1980s tropes: DX7, stab synth brass, noise gated percussion, backing gospel vocals. I don't think it has a sax though.

Back on-topic for this forum (kind of): Traffic in 1968.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman65

Quote from: bugo on October 10, 2014, 04:32:00 PM

They maybe classified as different genres, but they are the same music now.  Just the redefining of the name R & B that is all.  It in a way is politically incorrect to say Rap anymore, so all the new Rap from the 90's on just got put in the same genre as Whitney Houston, Roberta Flack.

Sheryl Crowe

mrsman

Even though it is a very popular oldie, I've never liked "unchained melody" by the righteous brothers.  I like a lot of the old-school rock and roll from the pre-Beatles era, but this song I just couldn't enjoy.

Growing up, I would listen to KRTH in Los Angeles and they would occasionally have an oldies countdown over holiday weekends and "Unchained Melody" would be in the top 5 (and sometimes even number one).  Why?

But all good things come to an end.  Here in the DC area, I don't know of any radio station that plays songs from that era.  The songs that were made when I grew up in the 80's are now oldies. 

I guess I'm old now.

thenetwork

Quote from: mrsman on October 12, 2014, 07:59:35 AM
Growing up, I would listen to KRTH in Los Angeles and they would occasionally have an oldies countdown over holiday weekends and "Unchained Melody" would be in the top 5 (and sometimes even number one).  Why?

"Unchained Melody" gained new life to a new generation because it was prominently featured in the movie "Ghost". Other "oldies" that returned to the Top 40 charts in the 80's and 90's due to being in movies included "Twist & Shout" (Back to School / Ferris Buehler's Day Off), "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" (Top Gun ) and "Do You Love Me" (Dirty Dancing).

And despite these songs being popular (again) in the 80s, many of these songs are STILL largely ignored by the corporate stations.  Go Figure.

OracleUsr

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 10, 2014, 04:31:29 PM
Quote from: bugo on October 10, 2014, 04:30:03 PM

those are, indeed, two words, but I am not seeing the connection.

His group, the Smashing Pumpkins, did a cover of Landslide.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

J Route Z

Do you wanna build a snowman? The kids love it. Can't wait for Frozen 2.

bugo

Quote from: roadman65 on October 11, 2014, 03:18:05 PM
Quote from: bugo on October 10, 2014, 04:32:00 PM

They maybe classified as different genres, but they are the same music now.  Just the redefining of the name R & B that is all.  It in a way is politically incorrect to say Rap anymore, so all the new Rap from the 90's on just got put in the same genre as Whitney Houston, Roberta Flack.

No, it isn't. R&B music usually features a melodic, sultry vocalist, while hip hop/rap usually features rhythmic, monotonal rappers. There are similarities between the two genres but rap = R&B...no. Just no.

bugo

It's politically incorrect to refer to rap as "rap"? Huh? Where do you live? I've never heard any such thing.

Pete from Boston

I'm baffled a little.  The abundant use of "hip-hop" means "rap" might get said less than it once did, but it's not un-PC. 

If you're basing your "rap=R&B" point on the name of the Billboard chart "Rap/R&B,"*  that's just a case of marketing simplification (i.e., most Black music gets lumped in one easy category for sales/airplay measurement purposes).  It does not make the musics one and the same.

* So clumsy an amalgamation is this chart that they have changed the name five times since 1949, going from "Race Records" to "Rhythm & Blues Records," "Soul," "Black," "R&B," and finally "Rap/R&B."  (From the Wikipedia article Race Records)

roadman65

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 13, 2014, 09:18:36 AM
I'm baffled a little.  The abundant use of "hip-hop" means "rap" might get said less than it once did, but it's not un-PC. 

If you're basing your "rap=R&B" point on the name of the Billboard chart "Rap/R&B,"*  that's just a case of marketing simplification (i.e., most Black music gets lumped in one easy category for sales/airplay measurement purposes).  It does not make the musics one and the same.

* So clumsy an amalgamation is this chart that they have changed the name five times since 1949, going from "Race Records" to "Rhythm & Blues Records," "Soul," "Black," "R&B," and finally "Rap/R&B."  (From the Wikipedia article Race Records)

According to genre classification what comes out now that would have been classified as rap back in the 80's, is just plain R & B. 

One guy I used to work with, he is Jamaican, when trying to educate me on music himself claims that Hip Hop and R & B are the same music.  This was back in 2004 though and he was a listener of 102 Jamz in Orlando and played it out loud in our workplace.

Also another redefining is the word jam!  It used to be when a bunch of musicians got together and just played instruments to whatever came to mind, now one R & B, Hip Hop, or whatever  you want to call it radio station uses it to call their music, hence 102 Jamz in Orlando.    They call each one of what they play as a jam during the break instead of song, or they once did anyway.

Sheryl Crowe

wphiii

Did anyone say "Don't Stop Believing" yet?

That and "Sweet Caroline." Both exist solely for drunk people to scream the lyrics as loud as they possibly can.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.