News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Worst control city on an interstate in your state

Started by SkyPesos, August 05, 2022, 06:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: US20IL64 on November 11, 2023, 10:55:10 PM
In Chicago area, ... most are not going to South Bend specifically.

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 12, 2023, 02:29:40 PM
Most of the traffic heading south and east out of Chicago where Indiana is the control city is going to I-65 to head toward Indy and I-94 to head toward Detroit not even reaching South Bend.

I'm skeptical that most of the traffic coming in on the Eisenhower or the Kennedy or the Stevenson is headed to Indiana at all.

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 12, 2023, 02:55:21 PM
Gary would be the most accurate as that's where the traffic all goes before splitting off amongst I-65, I-94 and the Toll Road, but Gary has such a poor image nobody wants that on a sign.

"Image" should not be a criterion for what destination goes on a guide sign.  Everyone in Chicago knows where Gary is, so it would work as a control city.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

In Chicago area, "Indiana" is perfect for points east. Also, most are not going to South Bend specifically. Once past IN border, then there are signs for I-65 to Indy and I-94 to Detroit, etc.

"...should be replaced with..." No need to spend valuable tax money for this, we are fine.
Most of the traffic heading south and east out of Chicago where Indiana is the control city is going to I-65 to head toward Indy and I-94 to head toward Detroit not even reaching South Bend.

"Indiana" as a control destination has to be one of the most-discussed ones on this board. There's no perfect answer.

Gary would be the most accurate as that's where the traffic all goes before splitting off amongst I-65, I-94 and the Toll Road, but Gary has such a poor image nobody wants that on a sign.

Signing all of Detroit, South Bend and Indianapolis is probably the most helpful but would get very cluttered.

Indiana remains the least bad option. Yes it's vague, but everybody is going to or through Indiana so it gets you there and then once to you get to Gary the signs can get more specific.

I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Same thing with using 'Iowa' and 'Wisconsin' as controls in central Chicago.

Mike

mrsman

Quote from: mgk920 on November 13, 2023, 12:12:47 PM
In Chicago area, "Indiana" is perfect for points east. Also, most are not going to South Bend specifically. Once past IN border, then there are signs for I-65 to Indy and I-94 to Detroit, etc.

"...should be replaced with..." No need to spend valuable tax money for this, we are fine.

"Indiana" as a control destination has to be one of the most-discussed ones on this board. There's no perfect answer.

Signing all of Detroit, South Bend and Indianapolis is probably the most helpful but would get very cluttered.

Indiana remains the least bad option. Yes it's vague, but everybody is going to or through Indiana so it gets you there and then once to you get to Gary the signs can get more specific.

I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Same thing with using 'Iowa' and 'Wisconsin' as controls in central Chicago.

Mike

Of the three states, Indiana is the least likely to cause problems.  Given the geography, you basically have to pass through the NW corner to reach nearly the rest of the state, so Indiana can stay, begrudgingly.  It is equivalent to the Illinois control in St Louis which leads to the bridges over the river that can then lead to Illinois and then the three highways to Chicago, Indianapolis, or Louisville.

I have more problems with Wisconsin, since there are other ways to get to other parts of the state.  For 294, especially, the road goes to Milwaukee - you have to turn off to get to Rockford (which is Illinois) and then Madison. 

Iowa is a big problem, since the control does not stay the same going west.  Once you leave Chicagoland, you would see different controls like Davenport or Moline=Grand Island depending on the district.  Indiana uses Des Moines for some odd reason.  So it would make sense to me that the control in Indiana and all of Illinois should be Davenport, and it should be consistent.

pianocello

Quote from: mrsman on November 15, 2023, 04:11:25 PM
Iowa is a big problem, since the control does not stay the same going west.  Once you leave Chicagoland, you would see different controls like Davenport or Moline=Grand Island depending on the district.  Indiana uses Des Moines for some odd reason.  So it would make sense to me that the control in Indiana and all of Illinois should be Davenport, and it should be consistent.

Disagree that it's a big problem. I think it's a fair assumption that most non-suburban traffic have destinations in or beyond Iowa, and as much as I hate to say it, Des Moines and Iowa City are more notable destinations than Davenport, Moline, and Rock Island.

FWIW, I've always thought the Iowa shout-out was cool, but I wouldn't be mad if it was changed to Joliet (for I-80) and Aurora (for I-88), and then Des Moines past those cities.

For the rest of your point, I'm not sure signage is as inconsistent as you're outlining. I don't recall seeing Des Moines as a control city in Indiana, unless there's a mileage sign I haven't paid attention to (WB traffic is signed for Chicago). Also, AFAIK the only mention of Davenport outside the Quad Cities themselves is at the north end of I-180. The rest of it's mainly just Moline-Rock Island, which is consistent with IDOT's system of secondary control cities (see also: East St. Louis, Effingham, Mt. Vernon, etc.)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Revive 755

Quote from: pianocello on November 15, 2023, 09:54:00 PM
I don't recall seeing Des Moines as a control city in Indiana, unless there's a mileage sign I haven't paid attention to (WB traffic is signed for Chicago).

Des Moines does make an appearance on the Indiana Toll Road.
Example 1
Example 2

Flint1979

Using Des Moines in Indiana is stupid. That is easily the worst control city in Indiana.

kphoger

Didn't Illinois use to use one of the Quad Cities on I-80?  I have an early childhood memory of seeing a guide sign for one of them at the I-55 interchange, and I think it was Rock Island.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 16, 2023, 08:04:20 AM
Using Des Moines in Indiana is stupid. That is easily the worst control city in Indiana.
I still think "Ohio" is a bit worse, for this reason I mentioned upthread:
Quote from: SkyPesos on November 10, 2023, 09:54:18 AM
I don't like the Indiana Toll Road using "Ohio" eastbound though. Traffic going from Chicago to two of Ohio's 3 largest cities would've left the Toll Road somewhere in NWI (Cincinnati traffic at I-65, Columbus traffic at I-65 or IN 49 to US 30), so you only have Cleveland left of the 3 major cities to represent "Ohio" on the Turnpike. I would definitely go with either South Bend or Toledo there after I-90 enters Indiana.

Quote from: kphoger on November 16, 2023, 01:43:41 PM
Didn't Illinois use to use one of the Quad Cities on I-80?  I have an early childhood memory of seeing a guide sign for one of them at the I-55 interchange, and I think it was Rock Island.
From what I remember from browsing GSV, it's "Moline - Rock Island"

paulthemapguy

Quote from: kphoger on November 16, 2023, 01:43:41 PM

As you might already know, Illinois uses two different sets of control cities.  Moline-Rock Island is used as the local control city on the minor street. Des Moines is the major city for westbound I-80. I pass this sign leaving work most days.

IL-I-80X134SN by Paul Across America, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

thenetwork

The use of Utah for I-70 from Grand Junction west is most logical as most traffic either heads to Moab (US-191 South), Salt Lake City (US-6) or Richfield (I-70) not many other towns in-between worth mentioning.

Although Green River would qualify as the Limon of Utah...

Flint1979

Quote from: thenetwork on November 16, 2023, 09:52:00 PM
It would? Limon is about three times the size of Green River.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 17, 2023, 06:27:22 AM

Yes.  It's the jumping-off point for WB traffic headed to Salt Lake City.  Its use as a control city functions much as Limon does farther east.
Male pronouns, please.

mgk920

Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2023, 12:53:20 PM

Yes.  It's the jumping-off point for WB traffic headed to Salt Lake City.  Its use as a control city functions much as Limon does farther east.

Or Tomah, WI, for to its major interstate highway interchange (I-90/94 split).

Mike

thenetwork

Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2023, 12:53:20 PM

Exactly. The stretch of I-70 in which US-491 duplexes for a few exits between Crescent Jct
and Green River Is where most traffic switches route numbers to access different points in Utah, much in the same vein that traffic changes routes in Limon.

I would say that the percentage of traffic that stays on I-70 BOTH before and after this stretch is much lower than those who only enter and/or exit I-70 here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.