News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite Interstate

Started by Voyager, January 17, 2009, 11:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

I-40 From Marion NC to Nashville, TN (the entirity of Nashville/Davidson County)
I-26 From Spartanburg SC to the terminus in Kingsport TN.
I-24 Even in IL I think more scenic in IL than KY.
I-70 In Utah
I-90 From Spokane WA to Missoula MT

Honorable mention for the weirdness factor.
I-57 in MO

roadman65

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 01, 2016, 01:31:33 PM
I-40 From Marion NC to Nashville, TN (the entirity of Nashville/Davidson County)
I-26 From Spartanburg SC to the terminus in Kingsport TN.
I-24 Even in IL I think more scenic in IL than KY.
I-70 In Utah
I-90 From Spokane WA to Missoula MT

Honorable mention for the weirdness factor.
I-57 in MO
I forgot about I-70 in Utah across the Swells.

I-57 goes from forest between I-24 and Effingham.  Then goes to open farmland all the way to Kankakee.  The rest of the way into Chicago is suburban or urban of course.  South of I-24 I never clinched so I cannot say to what it is there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DevalDragon

I'm surprised nobody has said I-44 across Missouri. Very pretty, some grades and curves to make you pay attention and a healthy amount of traffic.

7/8

Quote from: DevalDragon on September 07, 2016, 03:33:45 AM
I'm surprised nobody has said I-44 across Missouri. Very pretty, some grades and curves to make you pay attention and a healthy amount of traffic.

I mentioned it (see quote below), though I can see why it would be easy to miss. I thought it was a fun drive :)

Quote from: 7/8 on August 27, 2016, 11:58:55 PM
Of the ones I've been on, in no order...

Top 3 2DI's:
I-77 - the portion from US 19 in Beckley, WV to NC is beautiful, and I find the truck runaway ramps really cool. I especially like the moment heading SB when you leave the tunnel and see the Welcome to Virginia sign; for some reason, I have clear memories of that from my childhood road trips.
I-44 - I really enjoyed the roller coaster feel of the Missouri portion, though US 65 south of Springfield managed to be even more exciting!
I-86 (east) - So much prettier than the Thruway to the north, and free :)

Top 3 3DI's:
I-190 (NY) - Entering Buffalo from the Peace Bridge has been a memorable start to many of my vacations, and of course the Celino & Barnes billboards are classic.
I-476 (PA) - The lack of a left shoulder and lots of construction can make this drive a bit stressful, but I can't deny that there was lots of great scenery on here, and a road tunnel is always a bonus.
I-255 (IL/MO) - Maybe an odd choice, but I drove there last year in late April/early May and it was my first time crossing the Mississippi River. Also, the transition from the flat landscape, and somewhat bare trees in Illinois to the hilly and fully green trees of Missouri was very striking. It looked like the middle of summer! It was a bit sad at the end of the trip seeing the bare trees in Ontario.

broadhurst04

My favorites are: I-26 from Asheville to the SC border; I-95 northbound approaching and passing through downtown Richmond, VA; I-81 from the TN border at Bristol to the terminus at I-40; and I-64 from Williamsburg to Richmond.

slorydn1

The fact that I am getting my very own local Interstate within the next few (25) years notwithstanding, I-40 will always be my favorite-specifically the part between Nashville,TN and Exit 125 in NC near Hickory. I can add the portion just east of I-25 in the  Albuquerque, NM area to that as well.

Honorable mentions:

I-24 between Nashville and Chattanooga, I-26 from Johnson City TN to Columbus NC
I-64 in WV (as well as west of I-81 in VA)
I-75 between the KY/TN border to about 30 miles north of Atlanta, GA
I-77 between I-81 and I-74 in VA/NC.
I-80 all the way across PA (yes I just said that)

One that could supplant I-40 as my favorite if I ever get a chance to drive it:
I-70 in CO, especially west of Denver
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

mariethefoxy

I-91 in Connecticut and Massachusetts - the hartford and springfield area segments are quite scenic.
I-290 in Massachusetts - Worcester is a depressing city but theres great views of it from 290
I-95 in Rhode Island - the providence section is quite interesting and fun to drive on
I-495 in Massachusetts between Hopkinton and Lowell - lotsa good memories of driving up to friends houses, also you can go really fast.
I-90 from 128 to I-93, the inner part of the Pike is pretty cool with the various tunneled segments

Honorable mentions
I-95 in CT from NY Line to New Haven - another road full of memories of fun trips tho I greatly prefer Route 15

I-90 from Hopkinton to Sturbridge - its a decent ride

Quote from: Alex on January 17, 2009, 11:57:24 PM
Interstate 10 has been and still is my favorite. I like a lot of them, but I-10 still is. Connecting California to Florida, I love that...

My thoughts exactly.  It's a nice way to get across the southern United States, where you don't have to worry as much about excessive cold and snowfall, unlike in this subarctic hole (WI).

I have a poll linked in my signature regarding this very topic - feel free to vote on it and my least favorite poll!
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

bing101

I-5 in Grapevine and I-80 Bay Bridge.

DevalDragon

Interstate 94 in Michigan is a fun road to drive - it's very fast and you have to pay attention.

I average 130 km/h on that road - the recommended speed for the Autobahn!

AZDude

My favorite Interstate is I-40 BUT my favorite section of Interstate is I-80 through the state of Nebraska.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: AZDude on September 10, 2016, 10:56:56 PM
My favorite Interstate is I-40 BUT my favorite section of Interstate is I-80 through the state of Nebraska.

Isn't that about the straightest part of the Interstate system?  Uh...not to be critical...but why?  :eyebrow:

oldparoadgeek

Maybe He likes straight, flat, boring. monotonous highways to  take a nap on :P

DevalDragon

455 miles of sheer boredom. Worse than I-70 in Kansas, only because it's 30 miles longer!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DevalDragon on September 10, 2016, 11:54:33 PM
455 miles of sheer boredom. Worse than I-70 in Kansas, only because it's 30 miles longer!

Considering the road I was on today took me 4 hours to cross 115 miles that endless swath of flatness would be paramount to sacrilege.  :)

AZDude

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 10, 2016, 11:03:46 PM

Isn't that about the straightest part of the Interstate system?  Uh...not to be critical...but why?  :eyebrow:

I have read comments and seen videos showing hate for this section of Interstate.  I just do not understand the hate.  I-80 Nebraska was my first entry into the midwest back in 2010.  IMO the midwest is the most beautiful part of the country.  Perhaps being from Arizona is one reason why I like this section a lot.  There is really nothing like this over here.  I like seeing the endless farmland mixed with scattered trees red barns and lakes that actually have water in them! Lol! Plus its green, green, green!  Did I also mention its green?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: AZDude on September 11, 2016, 12:51:15 AM

I have read comments and seen videos showing hate for this section of Interstate.  I just do not understand the hate.  I-80 Nebraska was my first entry into the midwest back in 2010.  IMO the midwest is the most beautiful part of the country.  Perhaps being from Arizona is one reason why I like this section a lot.  There is really nothing like this over here.  I like seeing the endless farmland mixed with scattered trees red barns and lakes that actually have water in them! Lol! Plus its green, green, green!  Did I also mention its green?

I agree with you. I like the mountains, but I also like the plains. The wide sky, the endless horizon, the ability to travel seemingly forever, the waves of grain, the infinite openness, all of that is something I find very powerful yet peaceful.

Some find it boring, but most certainly not me.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

1995hoo

I think my favorite is the Adirondack Northway portion of I-87. Beautiful drive. Most of my trips on that road have been during the winter, too. All the frozen waterfall formations you see on the rocks along the road are nice.

At an opposite extreme, I like I-275 in Florida. The two bridges, especially the Sunshine Skyway, make for a nice drive.

Finally, while I've only been on it five times in a one-week period in 2015, I found I-17 really interesting because of how the northern end in the pine forest felt a lot like the Northway and then the downhill into Black Canyon City had so many cacti and desert scenery. Really interesting drive and it wasn't anything like I'd pictured a desert being. I guess my mental image of a desert came from pictures of the Sahara.

In terms of least favorite: I-81 in Virginia. If it got another lane I might revisit that opinion.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AZDude

I agree with you. I like the mountains, but I also like the plains. The wide sky, the endless horizon, the ability to travel seemingly forever, the waves of grain, the infinite openness, all of that is something I find very powerful yet peaceful.

Some find it boring, but most certainly not me.

This is exactly how I feel about it!

PileofRoads

I-80 from Lincoln, Nebraska to The Utah/Nevada state line is my favorite. For local highway,
I-44 is a favorite because nobody uses it nearly as much as I-64 or I-270. :)

busman_49

My favorite would be I-71 in Ohio.  My second favorite is I-77, with special recognition given to the portion from south of Charleston, WV, to the VA/NC border.

jbnati27

I guess I can see your side of the equation. At first, I thought you were being sarcastic. It's all about what you're used to. I grew up North of Dayton, Ohio, where there's a lot of farmland. I've never been to Nebraska, but I-80 just sounds painful to me, because it's what I grew up with, but taken to the next level.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jbnati27 on September 12, 2016, 02:32:53 PM

I guess I can see your side of the equation. At first, I thought you were being sarcastic. It's all about what you're used to. I grew up North of Dayton, Ohio, where there's a lot of farmland. I've never been to Nebraska, but I-80 just sounds painful to me, because it's what I grew up with, but taken to the next level.

That's what it's like for me.  I grew up in the mid-west and New England...for me the west coast and roads that turn were an absolute godsend.  The funny part is that when I went to Arizona for the first time and saw how red it was I thought it was the greatest thing ever compared to the boring green of the Mid-West.   :-D

Bickendan

I-5, the whole thing, but particular nods to the Grapevine and the Redding-Eugene portion.
I-84 through the Columbia River Gorge and the Blue Mountains
I-90, Coeur d'Alene-Missoula and near Winona (MN)

kkt

It wasn't when I saw it (January).  And no farmland visible from the freeway that I could see, an endless road of trees hid the river.  It was only remarkable as in our trip across the country, Nebraska was the only state where we slept in the same state for two nights.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.