New Zealand highway forum?

Started by jpm, April 11, 2018, 08:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicHasClass

Could whoever's posting these label them briefly? Trying to go back to find a particular video means I have to watch them again.

vdeane

Quote from: Beltway on November 04, 2019, 12:35:01 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on June 18, 2018, 02:37:59 PM
Those roads are so American-looking, I'd probably forget to drive on the left side!  Do the variable speed limit signs actually flash, or is that something to do with the camera?

Interestingly, freeways look pretty similar the world over!
A roadgeek can tell the difference!  That said, New Zealand freeway signage is remarkably similar to MUTCD signage - definitely some inspiration from the US there!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

Quote from: vdeane on November 04, 2019, 01:26:44 PM
Those roads are so American-looking, I'd probably forget to drive on the left side!  Do the variable speed limit signs actually flash, or is that something to do with the camera?
A roadgeek can tell the difference!  That said, New Zealand freeway signage is remarkably similar to MUTCD signage - definitely some inspiration from the US there!
Well, I can see differences from state to state, each one has their nuances.

But in general, when I see freeways on the other side of the world, whether it is Chile, Australia, Algeria, etc., I see similar design characteristics.

Right drive versus left drive doesn't really change the basic design of the freeway.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

Quote from: Beltway on November 04, 2019, 05:27:56 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 04, 2019, 01:26:44 PM
Well, I can see differences from state to state, each one has their nuances.

But in general, when I see freeways on the other side of the world, whether it is Chile, Australia, Algeria, etc., I see similar design characteristics.

Right drive versus left drive doesn't really change the basic design of the freeway.
I guess you're not a sign geek.  The point is that, because of NZ's signage patterns, one could easily mistake themselves for driving in the states (especially when near a right exit).  They basically copied the MUTCD for their guide signs, and literally the only differences between their freeways and ours are the lack of yellow strips for the inner shoulder, use of metric, and that they drive on the left.  That it.  Nothing else.  They even use route number/direction for navigation rather than control cities, which is not as common as one would think.  Australia doesn't.  Nowhere is Europe does.  Mexico doesn't.  South Africa doesn't.  Israel doesn't.  The UAE does not appear to.  The only country I could find that does outside of the US, Canada, and New Zealand is South Korea.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on November 04, 2019, 09:05:36 PM
They basically copied the MUTCD for their guide signs, and literally the only differences between their freeways and ours are the lack of yellow strips for the inner shoulder, use of metric, and that they drive on the left.  That it.  Nothing else.

New Zealand does use red paint on the shoulder of some of their motorways (akin to some UK motorways), but I do not know the significance of the paint. That's the only other difference I can think of.

Alps

Quote from: jakeroot on November 05, 2019, 12:26:34 AM
They basically copied the MUTCD for their guide signs, and literally the only differences between their freeways and ours are the lack of yellow strips for the inner shoulder, use of metric, and that they drive on the left.  That it.  Nothing else.

New Zealand does use red paint on the shoulder of some of their motorways (akin to some UK motorways), but I do not know the significance of the paint. That's the only other difference I can think of.
Did not notice that, unless it was in a work zone.

jakeroot

Quote from: Alps on November 05, 2019, 07:49:04 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 05, 2019, 12:26:34 AM

Did not notice that, unless it was in a work zone.

I got this wrong. It's not actually red paint. It's actually a sort of high-traction surface applied only sometimes (sometimes both shoulders, sometimes none, etc):

This is from the Hayr Road overpass, above the South Western Freeway in Auckland:

bing101

An Update on Christchurch Motorway

ClassicHasClass

Could you at least label the videos you post with a sentence or two, please? Trying to find a particular old one is a little frustrating.

vdeane

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on November 19, 2019, 09:57:20 PM
Could you at least label the videos you post with a sentence or two, please? Trying to find a particular old one is a little frustrating.
Definitely.  Not just this thread, but everywhere.  When there's a video, one wants to know what the video is about, why it's posted, and why they should watch it.  Not just have a video and nothing else dropped into a post.  This is a discussion forum, not social media.

X99

Quote from: vdeane on November 20, 2019, 01:26:03 PM
Definitely.  Not just this thread, but everywhere.  When there's a video, one wants to know what the video is about, why it's posted, and why they should watch it.  Not just have a video and nothing else dropped into a post.  This is a discussion forum, not social media.
Looks like you haven't seen the Philippines thread.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

vdeane

Quote from: X99 on November 21, 2019, 10:25:35 AM
bing101 does this everywhere.  It's too the point where it's a huge surprise if he posts something that isn't just a video and no text.  It's annoying no matter what thread it's in.

compdude787

Quote from: vdeane on November 21, 2019, 12:51:01 PM
Quote from: X99 on November 21, 2019, 10:25:35 AM
bing101 does this everywhere.  It's too the point where it's a huge surprise if he posts something that isn't just a video and no text.  It's annoying no matter what thread it's in.

Agreed. Though I don't mind if he posts my videos...  :-D

spotila

Long time NZ lurker, first time poster, checking in.

We do exist

ClassicHasClass

jakeroot

Quote from: spotila on February 20, 2020, 04:31:39 PM

We do exist

Judging by NZTA's signage and marking rules, you should feel right at home here! Welcome aboard.

Alps

Quote from: spotila on February 20, 2020, 04:31:39 PM

We do exist
Have you found my NZ annex? I don't know if anyone else has an NZ roads page... if so please let me know so I can link them! https://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nz

ClassicHasClass

I'm working on one (to feature my Auckland to Te Reinga run) but it'll be a bit to get that all together.

bing101

Here are some road updates from New Zealand. All from 2021.

bing101

Here is a bridge opening in New Zealand

bing101

bing101

bing101

If you watch this channel New Zealand has some of the most scenic roads in Oceania.

bing101

Here are more roadgeek videos from New Zealand.

bing101

Here is another highway in New Zealand.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.