News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Update on my planned Panama trip

Started by US 41, June 30, 2014, 06:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

My Route
   Well I have done a lot of research on my planned road trip to Panama. I have decided to bypass Belize and El Salvador. I have shifted my route to the west a bit in Mexico. Highway 101 in Tamaulipas was very dangerous just a couple of years ago. The TCOs kidnapped people on the highway and put them in mass graves in San Fernando. After reading that, that was enough for me to decide to go down Highways 85 to Monterrey and 57 to Mexico City. I'm sure if I went down 101 nothing would happen, but I'm not going to chance it. Plus 85 and 57 is probably a faster way to go anyways.
Money
   I have also decided to bypass Belize and El Salvador and drive through Honduras. Local Hondurans say the 2 lane highways are safe in the daytime, but not to drive during the night. Actually the same advice is given for all the Latin American countries (unless your on an autopista in Mexico). I'm thinking $2500 will be enough money for the trip as gas will cost me about $1200 total (and a VISA credit card incase my car needs repairs). I plan on sleeping in my car in lit up gas station parking lots. The trip should take me about 3 weeks, 4 at the most.
Things I Need
   I need to get an IDP (International Drivers Permit). They are like $20 at AAA. A construction cone and safety triangle are needed in Honduras. A license plate on the front of my car is recommended since some cops in Central America might stop me if I don't. (Someone said if you get pulled over in Latin America pretend you don't understand them. I laughed and said "I wont have to pretend.") Reflection tape in Honduras on my car. It seems like Honduras is the most picky on their rules. I already bought my English to Spanish dictionary.

***Below this is the link on Google Maps for my planned route.***

http://goo.gl/maps/XBYgW
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Avalanchez71

You purchase a surplus tank for that trip.

CtrlAltDel

I have no advice to give, but this seems like an awesome trip. Make sure to get picutres (if legal) of all your border crossings and the canal!
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.