News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Vermont

Started by Alex, January 29, 2009, 04:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

QuoteI bet some of those button copy guide signs were still up as of a few years ago.

All of the signage you see in this video was gone no later than 2008.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: froggie on July 24, 2014, 08:10:41 PM
QuoteI bet some of those button copy guide signs were still up as of a few years ago.

It was interesting for me to see that West Lebanon, NH was the control city at the I-89/91 interchange then. If I recall correctly, the control cities there now are "New Hampshire" and "Airport."

I would personally go with "West Lebanon, NH" and "Concord, NH."

shadyjay

I've been traveling to Vermont since 1990 (and living here since '05).  The signs for Exits 9 & 10 have not been button copy as long as I've been traveling I-91.  Those for Exit 9 are now on their third generation (if you count the version shown in the video, then the former signage which had the 12 in a circle shield and had two control points (Windsor and Hartland), then the present with the green VT oval shield).  Exit 9 signs were replaced as part of a spot project.  It didn't make it to Exit 10, and Exit 9 only got new green shields on the existing older sign. 

Now signage from Exit 11 (WRJ), northward, that was button copy up until around 2008. 

Exit 10 signage on both I-89 and I-91 is old but not ancient.  It's not button copy but was probably installed sometime in the 1980s.  The northbound "Junction 89/2 Miles" sign was missing during my June trip down south, and when I came through on my way back from down south last weekend, the sign was replaced with a new carbon copy version. 

Given there's a project to replace signs on I-91 from the Mass border up to Rockingham, I'm guessing we're going to have to wait a little while longer to get the project to replace the last oldest interstate signage in the state, from Springfield up to White River Jct.  Hopefully, they'll throw on a sidebar for the only section of I-89 to not get resigned/Clearviewed, from NH to the Exit 3 area (though Exit 2's NB signs are fairly recent and all of Exit 3 has new signage, except the mileage sign SB after Exit 3).

Finally....

I noticed the parking area on I-89 SB after Exit 4 in Randolph is open once again.  It appeared they were just using it is a staging area for a paving project.  Really not sure why they kept that parking area open, while much larger former rest areas could be parking areas (Hartford-NB, Randolph-NB, Sharon-SB). 

agentsteel53

that's what I meant.  a lot of my extensive travel in VT was 2006-07.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 24, 2014, 08:57:29 PM

It was interesting for me to see that West Lebanon, NH was the control city at the I-89/91 interchange then. If I recall correctly, the control cities there now are "New Hampshire" and "Airport."

West Lebanon strikes me as "the road is only completed across the river." The lack of second destination suggests there was no travel to the northwest at this time. There should be one direction each way - Concord and Montpelier.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Alps on July 24, 2014, 11:05:21 PM

West Lebanon strikes me as "the road is only completed across the river." The lack of second destination suggests there was no travel to the northwest at this time. There should be one direction each way - Concord and Montpelier.

I was referring to the current signage. Though I do wonder now when I-89 opened in Vermont.

The control cities for I-89 West (now) are Barre and Montpelier (another mistake IMO, I would personally do Montpelier and Burlington). I-89 East could be West Lebanon and Concord or possibly Concord and Manchester. West Lebanon is where all of the local big box stores are so it may be worthy of being a control city since it could be seen as a destination. Lebanon and WRJ are the control cities for I-89 at its beginning down in Bow, NH.

Alps

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 24, 2014, 11:20:38 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 24, 2014, 11:05:21 PM

I was referring to the current signage. Though I do wonder now when I-89 opened in Vermont.

The control cities for I-89 West (now) are Barre and Montpelier (another mistake IMO, I would personally do Montpelier and Burlington). I-89 East could be West Lebanon and Concord or possibly Concord and Manchester. West Lebanon is where all of the local big box stores are so it may be worthy of being a control city since it could be seen as a destination. Lebanon and WRJ are the control cities for I-89 at its beginning down in Bow, NH.
If you're signing two destinations, I agree with you on Montpelier/Burlington and West Lebanon/Concord. However, you're only really supposed to sign one destination each way on advance signs. Here's what I would do: I-89 North Montpelier, I-89 South Concord, for the 2-mile, 1-mile, and 1/2 mile advance signs (major Interstate junction warrants those). Supplemental sign at 1.5 miles in advance says "Exit ___A for West Lebanon" and "Exit ___B for Burlington" (interchange still isn't numbered, but it will be under mile-based). When you get to the exit itself, the overhead signs can have two destinations each, because you've signed them in advance on the other signs.

froggie

Steve is correct in that, when the stretch of I-91 in the video opened, I-89 to the north did not (it opened a couple years later).  But, oddly enough, when I-89 opened across the river, it connected to a previously open stretch that extended down to Grantham.

Also of note, the I-89/I-91 interchange remains unnumbered along I-89, but is Exit 10 on I-91.

shadyjay

Quote from: froggie on July 13, 2014, 10:50:26 PM
The Waterbury roundabout project officially began this past week, though I didn't see any discernible construction as of yesterday.  VTrans expects to finish it by next summer.

Came through the intersection this past Saturday.  Full scale construction now taking place.  US 2 is all torn up in the area of the VT 100 North intersection and by the community pool/post office, there's widening work taking place.  Looks like the rotary will be "open" later this fall, and completed fully next spring/summer.

Further north, a new traffic light is going in on the Exit 10-NB offramp at VT 100.  There's also a plan to close (at least temporarily) the direct VT 100 North to I-89 South ramp, utilizing the VT 100 South ramp.  This is part of a project to replace the I-89 bridges over Stowe Street, just east of Exit 10.

All the details here, and then some:
http://watp.vtransprojects.vermont.gov/

shadyjay

Update as of yesterday:

Full scale construction at the new rotary site.  Temporary traffic lights are up, but each direction (2W/100N, 2E, 100S, and Maxi's/P.O. access, all operate on separate phases.  I think this is because of the narrow roadway on 2E prohibiting a "left turn lane", so if 2W/100N and 2E were on the same phase, 2E traffic would back up with cars trying to turn onto 100N to 89.  The former 100NB roadway from this intersection, NB to just before the SB I-89 Exit 10 ramp is closed and all traffic is using the former 100S roadway (1 lane NB/2 lanes SB).  Traffic is backing up pretty good through here daily.  SB I-89 motorists exiting at Exit 10 should be prepared for stopped traffic on the ramp.  Meanwhile, the I-89 NB Exit 10 offramp traffic light at 100 is now up and running.  The direct ramp from 100N to 89S remains open.  This ramp is scheduled for a "trial" closure next year.

Work on 100S from 2 down to Waitsfield is set to (finally) start this Monday.  It'll entail some 13 miles of paving.  Some of the road in Waitsfield is really bad.  I know - I drive it every day to/from work.

And the resurfacing of US 2 from Waterbury west to Bolton continues.  Counted 3 "flagger-controlled" work zones on Friday while passing by on I-89.

Heading up to Williston way, I saw a green US 2A shield posted in the new complex recently built across from Maple Tree Place off VT 2A near Tafts Corner (just north of I-89 Exit 12).  Saw the backs of some other shields in there - not sure if there's any other surprises.

Mergingtraffic

Any 57 or 61 state-named I-91 or I-89 shields left in the wild?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

shadyjay

Hmmmm... not sure, but a couple weeks ago, I noticed a quite old "To Vermont I-91" shield on US 302 West at a point west of Littleton NH, some 20 miles away from I-91. 

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: doofy103 on August 23, 2014, 10:37:54 PM

Look in White River Junction at the intersection of Connecticut River Road and Sykes Mountain Avenue - you will find one of each.

froggie

Here and there, mostly off-system.

Alps

I've now been to the new Bennington Welcome Center inside VT 279/US 7. Something that hasn't really made its way out there yet is how that's all configured. (Google and OSM show no Welcome Center ramps, and the aerial is outdated.) Well, wonder no more: all four freeway ends terminate in a loop road that encircles the Center. The longest trip is the one I did: from US 7 SB to VT 279 WB requires two nearly full circuits of the loop road.

Take this, draw a circle around the inside of the two loops, and then connect it to the NSEW.

Alps

Yes, I ran across one yesterday, and I'm sure it's not the only one. I think it was an 89. I'll tell you in 3-5 years.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on August 24, 2014, 01:01:56 AM

Look in White River Junction at the intersection of Connecticut River Road and Sykes Mountain Avenue - you will find one of each.

Those look to be new with old specs.  The 2009 GSV didnt' have it but the 2012 does.  Interesting.

Quote from: Alps on August 26, 2014, 08:36:30 PM
Yes, I ran across one yesterday, and I'm sure it's not the only one. I think it was an 89. I'll tell you in 3-5 years.

Ok Steve spill it.  lol
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

agentsteel53

Quote from: doofy103 on August 27, 2014, 03:00:19 PM
Those look to be new with old specs.  The 2009 GSV didnt' have it but the 2012 does.  Interesting.

those shields look to be fairly old and faded.  I bet they were moved from another location.  Vermont does that.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: doofy103 on August 27, 2014, 03:00:19 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 26, 2014, 08:36:30 PM

Ok Steve spill it.  lol
It's buried somewhere deep in my photos. I remember that I had to take it over my shoulder. It might have been 207 southbound at its short multiplex.

EDIT: Yes. 207 south, where it turns right onto 78, says SOUTH 207 (right) TO 89 (right). Strangely can't see it in Google SV.

EDIT2: Very crappy in GSV.

vdeane

I've decided that I'm going to include rest area names for my exit lists on NYS Roads; I've gotten them for NY from NYSDOT's website and internal documentation (the NYC service areas I can get from NYCroads.com) but I'm not sure about Vermont.  Does anyone know if Vermont's rest areas have names, and if so, what they are?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

jcroyer80

Quote from: vdeane on September 03, 2014, 02:10:07 PM
I've decided that I'm going to include rest area names for my exit lists on NYS Roads; I've gotten them for NY from NYSDOT's website and internal documentation (the NYC service areas I can get from NYCroads.com) but I'm not sure about Vermont.  Does anyone know if Vermont's rest areas have names, and if so, what they are?

No names other than the town/city they are located in or near.

shadyjay

Quote from: jcroyer80 on September 03, 2014, 04:34:26 PM

Correct... the names adjacent to each info center on the map are the names which are posted on the actual buildings.  Signs on the interstate depict them solely as "Rest Area", "Rest Area/Vermont Welcome Center", and "Rest Area/Tourist Info Center". 

Come to think of it, I've only seen named rest areas on the Northway... High Peaks Rest Area comes to mind.  And outside of names of the service plazas on the Thruway and the Mass Pike (which are just the name of the town they are located in), I've seen nothing else specialized.

vdeane

Quote from: shadyjay on September 03, 2014, 05:19:11 PM
Quote from: jcroyer80 on September 03, 2014, 04:34:26 PM

Correct... the names adjacent to each info center on the map are the names which are posted on the actual buildings.  Signs on the interstate depict them solely as "Rest Area", "Rest Area/Vermont Welcome Center", and "Rest Area/Tourist Info Center". 

It's similar in NY... the names are posted online and on the buildings, but not on signs from the road.

Quote from: froggie on September 03, 2014, 02:57:35 PM
http://bgs.vermont.gov/information_centers/map

Awesome!  If anyone's wondering, NY has a map too: https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/page/portal/regional-offices/statewide-rest-areas?nd=nysdot

Fun fact: most of the "temporarily closed" rest areas were ones NYSDOT was already considering closing before the mass closure a few years ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

shadyjay

After a hike up Camel's Hump, I descended into Waterbury for a creamee, right into the heart of "rotary construction madness".  Definitely looks like progress is being made. 

First, a shot of the old diagramattic for the intersection.  I'm guessing this will get replaced eventually:

There used to be an ancient black-on-white version of this sign on US 2 East west of the intersection, but I believe it's gone.

Rotary construction is moving right along.  All that curbing to the right of the "Stop Here On Red" sign is new.  Interesting to see how a rotary is built while traffic is maintained through a busy 3-way intersection.

Hard to tell, but that's a state-name I-89 shield on the assembly to the right of the temporary traffic light.  I'm pretty sure there was a newer shield here until work began.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.