News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on December 16, 2022, 12:47:15 PM
Quote from: StogieGuy7 on December 16, 2022, 12:00:56 PM
It's a necessary item for public safety and not a fashion acoutrement. This is why very few countries outside of the US and Canada, permit there to not be a front plate. They're there for identification purposes.

I've always thought this too.  However, I'm now questioning how valuable it actually is to be able to identify a car from both front and back.  Generally, I think, it's the rear plate that's valuable in this regard (except for trucks pulling trailers, for which it should be the front plate that's required).
A simple scenario where 2 plates do help: automated parking enforcement on a comb-type parking.  Parking both nose-in or tail-in should allow plate reading.
Now we may try extrapolate to parallel parking...

StogieGuy7

It's a necessary item for public safety and not a fashion acoutrement. This is why very few countries outside of the US and Canada, permit there to not be a front plate. They're there for identification purposes.

I've always thought this too.  However, I'm now questioning how valuable it actually is to be able to identify a car from both front and back.  Generally, I think, it's the rear plate that's valuable in this regard (except for trucks pulling trailers, for which it should be the front plate that's required).

Admittedly, the rear plate is *more* valuable for identification purposes; however, the front plate is not without value under a number of circumstances. Giving the police every opportunity to do their job is why 2 plates were traditionally issued in pretty much all states at one time - and still are in most countries. We may not necessarily like the reasons for this, but ultimately it's in our best interest. Issuing one plate is laziness; the "it's ugly" excuse is lame and should be ignored.

Oh, and embossed plates are still a lot better than flat. They just are, which is why they were made that way for so many years. At certain angles, glare renders the flat ones illegible. The new flat plate technology is only remarkable in the skills shown by their marketing people to woo civil servants.

kphoger

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on December 16, 2022, 03:42:41 PM
Admittedly, the rear plate is *more* valuable for identification purposes; however, the front plate is not without value under a number of circumstances. Giving the police every opportunity to do their job is why 2 plates were traditionally issued in pretty much all states at one time - and still are in most countries. We may not necessarily like the reasons for this, but ultimately it's in our best interest. Issuing one plate is laziness;

I'm saying that the police have every opportunity to do their job in the large majority of cases without a front license plate.  If they pull me over, then they're behind me anyway.  If they're chasing me, then they're behind me anyway.  If they're writing a parking ticket, then they can walk around the car (and would probably need to anyway to make sure both plates match).  If they're using cameras to catch red light runners or speeders or toll violators, then there are cameras pointing at the vehicle's back end*.  Et cetera.

(*)  Exceptions apply.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on December 16, 2022, 03:42:41 PM

Admittedly, the rear plate is *more* valuable for identification purposes; however, the front plate is not without value under a number of circumstances. Giving the police every opportunity to do their job is why 2 plates were traditionally issued in pretty much all states at one time - and still are in most countries. We may not necessarily like the reasons for this, but ultimately it's in our best interest. Issuing one plate is laziness; the "it's ugly" excuse is lame and should be ignored.

Oh, and embossed plates are still a lot better than flat. They just are, which is why they were made that way for so many years. At certain angles, glare renders the flat ones illegible. The new flat plate technology is only remarkable in the skills shown by their marketing people to woo civil servants.
There is a balance between ease of enforcement vs cost of operation.
Ugly may not be a good reason, aerodynamics and effect on fuel consumption is a bit better.
There are vehicles with roof markings - police and buses here carry some markings. Plates or markings on car doors may be beneficial  is some cases - parallel parking is one of those.
Question is where the cost-benefit threshold is. I would argue that a messy place like NYC may benefit from even more markings than 2 plates - for example to enable helicopter spotting of specific cars;   while low population density places may get away with just one. 

SP Cook

It's a necessary item for public safety and not a fashion acoutrement. This is why very few countries outside of the US and Canada, permit there to not be a front plate.

Then you have link to a peer reviewed statistical study that contrasts single plate and dual plate jurisdictions and which proves a statistically significant level of difference in "public safety" between the two.

Look forward to reading it.  Link please.

GeekJedi

Quote from: SP Cook on December 17, 2022, 11:15:04 AM

It's a necessary item for public safety and not a fashion acoutrement. This is why very few countries outside of the US and Canada, permit there to not be a front plate.

Then you have link to a peer reviewed statistical study that contrasts single plate and dual plate jurisdictions and which proves a statistically significant level of difference in "public safety" between the two.

Since you appear to be excited:

https://tti.tamu.edu/news/study-suggests-using-two-license-plates-saves-resources-for-states-law-enforcement-agencies/

"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Scott5114

I'm in the awkward position of wanting to move from a one-plate state to a (maybe?) two-plate state* and my car has no way to attach a front plate to it. So I'll have to figure out some way of fixing that if I move.

*The state is Nevada. Everything I find on the internet indicates it's a two-plate state, but I don't remember seeing any front plates when I was there. But maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention? Or it changed recently and none of the websites have been updated?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 17, 2022, 05:10:55 PM
I'm in the awkward position of wanting to move from a one-plate state to a (maybe?) two-plate state* and my car has no way to attach a front plate to it. So I'll have to figure out some way of fixing that if I move.

*The state is Nevada. Everything I find on the internet indicates it's a two-plate state, but I don't remember seeing any front plates when I was there. But maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention? Or it changed recently and none of the websites have been updated?
it boils down to 2 self-tapping screws into the bumper. Once (if) you have to convert back, you can fill those two holes with epoxy and touchup paint.
The cheap way is to bolt the plate directly to the bumper. nicer is to bolt some plate holder first.
The first link on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Trunknets-Inc-Universal-License-Bracket/dp/B00RIVG814

elsmere241

Saw a Tennessee plate today that was NNNLLLL.  I don't think I've seen that combination before on any state's plate.

Ted$8roadFan

When I moved from Florida with my car purchased in Pennsylvania (both one plate states) back to Massachusetts (two plate state), I had my mechanic drill holes in the front bumper to fit the second plate (there was a space sized for a license plate).

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: elsmere241 on December 17, 2022, 06:21:41 PM
Saw a Tennessee plate today that was NNNLLLL.  I don't think I've seen that combination before on any state's plate.

Those are the new 2022 In God We Trust plates. Saw a bunch of them on my recent road trip down south.

jakeroot

I thought Nevada only required a front plate if you had the attachment for it. If not, it wasn't required.

You can also buy an attachment that allows you to install a plate on the front tow hitch. Common accessory for modified cars.

SP Cook

Quote from: GeekJedi on December 17, 2022, 01:53:00 PM

https://tti.tamu.edu/news/study-suggests-using-two-license-plates-saves-resources-for-states-law-enforcement-agencies/

That is not on the subject.  It just says it makes life easier for random taxers.   I asked for a showing that "public safety" is actually better in such jurisdictions.  Link please.

GeekJedi

Quote from: SP Cook on December 18, 2022, 12:00:14 PM

That is not on the subject.  It just says it makes life easier for random taxers.   I asked for a showing that "public safety" is actually better in such jurisdictions.  Link please.

When losing an argument, the best thing to do is move the goalposts. So, I gave you proof, now you can provide actual proof to support your claim.

I'll wait.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 17, 2022, 05:10:55 PMI'm in the awkward position of wanting to move from a one-plate state to a (maybe?) two-plate state* and my car has no way to attach a front plate to it. So I'll have to figure out some way of fixing that if I move.

There is generally an OEM mounting bracket for a front license plate that is typically just not supplied with the car in states that require a rear plate only.  You should be able to use an online parts catalogue for your year, make, and model to find the part number for ordering purposes.  That is what I would do, to ensure the plate is properly supported and is easy to clean when (as is inevitable for front plates) it picks up bug splatter.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Road Hog

Quote from: elsmere241 on December 17, 2022, 06:21:41 PM
All those Ontario plates headed to and from Bonnaroo finally had an effect.

kphoger

Quote from: GeekJedi on December 18, 2022, 02:05:32 PM

Quote from: SP Cook on December 18, 2022, 12:00:14 PM

When losing an argument, the best thing to do is move the goalposts. So, I gave you proof, now you can provide actual proof to support your claim.

I'll wait.

"Law enforcement" is a rather umbrella vague term.  How can we be sure that the enforcement cited actually increases public safety?  What is stated in the summary is that it increases the "opportunities to identify vehicles" in the context of automatic readers–meaning it's merely a mechanism for issuing tickets after the dangerous maneuver has already occurred.

"Tolling" has no bearing on public safety.

"Parking" has no bearing on public safety.

That leaves us with "Homeland Security", because it makes it easier for CBP to ... ummmm ... "operate more effectively".  Pretty vague there as well, and I have my doubts that it actually translates into increased public safety.

Did you even notice that the word "safety" doesn't even appear?

And oh yeah, where's the actual study?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

I always thought two plates made it easier to identify a hit and run vehicle. In theory, you should always at least be able to catch the rear plate, since all cars except those headed straight towards you are invariably going away from you. But, adrenaline is a real bitch sometimes, and I would think two plates could increase the likelihood that someone would notice and remember a license plate. Kind of two opportunities to notice the plate rather than just one.

SP Cook

Quote from: kphoger on December 19, 2022, 07:35:22 PM
How can we be sure that the enforcement cited actually increases public safety?

Excellent post over all.  To answer this specific question, a study would have to prove, as the uninformed poster suggests, that somehow overall public safety statistics are better in, say, Maryland than in Pennsylvania, or Ontario than in Quebec, or pick any pair you want.   This is what I asked for, and which the poster failed to produce.  Rather googling up a blurb that is not academic in nature and which was off-topic.   Mainly because no such study exist.  No one can prove that front plates in any way are about "public safety" .

Because they are not.  And if you disagree, link please.  Academic article, showing "public safety"  statistics are different between such jurisdictions and then an at least thoughtful explanation of why.  Link please.

kalvado

Well... Lets see....
Fatality rate:

Single plate states:

I would say there is a correlation. Someone may look for numeric data and averages, but for me correlation is good enough. Of course, correlation doesn't imply causation... Another map to put here would be inspection requirement by state - and overall conclusion may be that tighter regulation indeed means safer roads. Looking at these maps, I always ask myself  why  snowy northeast is somehow much safer region to drive than snow-free south....

kalvado

Quote from: jakeroot on December 20, 2022, 12:39:18 AM
I always thought two plates made it easier to identify a hit and run vehicle. In theory, you should always at least be able to catch the rear plate, since all cars except those headed straight towards you are invariably going away from you. But, adrenaline is a real bitch sometimes, and I would think two plates could increase the likelihood that someone would notice and remember a license plate. Kind of two opportunities to notice the plate rather than just one.
One can make an argument that identifying approaching vehicle also has some value. Stopping an approaching one is easier than engaging in a chase.
Hard to translate that into a solid numbers - but one may argue that even a single license plates doesn't not affect safety per se, only enforcement. Someone driving drunk is unlikely to count plates before starting the engine...   

SEWIGuy

Quote from: kalvado on December 20, 2022, 09:55:20 AM
Well... Lets see....
Fatality rate:

Single plate states:

I would say there is a correlation. Someone may look for numeric data and averages, but for me correlation is good enough. Of course, correlation doesn't imply causation... Another map to put here would be inspection requirement by state - and overall conclusion may be that tighter regulation indeed means safer roads. Looking at these maps, I always ask myself  why  snowy northeast is somehow much safer region to drive than snow-free south....

Cmon...  That has nothing to do with the lack of a front license plate. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-15/the-geography-of-car-deaths-in-america

It's higher speed, more rural driving and a slight correlation to poorer states where people drive older cars.

kalvado

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 20, 2022, 10:05:17 AM
Well... Lets see....
Fatality rate:
Single plate states:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-15/the-geography-of-car-deaths-in-america

It's higher speed, more rural driving and a slight correlation to poorer states where people drive older cars.
Higher speed is probably just a usual bullshit. Not that people follow those speed limits anyway...
More rural would be plausible explanation if I didn't look at statistics in my area. Upstate NY isn't really very urban, but still doesn't get much higher rates as south does. Super-urban NYC, on the other hand....
Older cars and lack of maintenance can easily be an issue. That's why I assume  rudimentary safety inspection is a must. Part of an overall "tighter regulation" package.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: kalvado on December 20, 2022, 10:25:13 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 20, 2022, 10:05:17 AM
Well... Lets see....
Fatality rate:
Single plate states:

Higher speed is probably just a usual bullshit. Not that people follow those speed limits anyway...
More rural would be plausible explanation if I didn't look at statistics in my area. Upstate NY isn't really very urban, but still doesn't get much higher rates as south does. Super-urban NYC, on the other hand....
Older cars and lack of maintenance can easily be an issue. That's why I assume  rudimentary safety inspection is a must. Part of an overall "tighter regulation" package.

I mean, there are actual studies that show correlation between speed limits and fatal accidents. You call that "just a usual bullshit," but are completely OK with posting a couple maps with colors and saying "correlation is good enough?" OK then.

kphoger

The obvious outliers there are Pennsylvania, Michigan, Missouri, Wyoming, and Montana.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.