News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rapid City area road construction and South Dakota's first DDI

Started by X99, September 21, 2019, 10:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD Mapman

Quote from: X99 on April 24, 2022, 01:50:10 AM
Quote from: SD Mapman on April 19, 2022, 01:30:09 PM
Quote from: X99 on April 19, 2022, 01:28:06 PM
St Patrick Street is still closed, but only at the end. The closure is from SD 44 to Valley Drive, with most traffic taking Valley or Sedivy to get back to 44.
That just for city utility work?
Something about building a box culvert if I read the notice right. Seems a little odd that it's taking this long though, and I'm sure today's snowstorm isn't helping.
It seems like construction projects in general are taking longer now, and trying to get stuff done in the spring out here is always a crapshoot.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

X99

Omaha Street traffic is now on both sides of the expanded Rapid Creek bridge, with the middle lanes closed to allow for final completion of the median. Overall, this project seems to be nearing completion, though no final completion date is known at this time.

The beams for the parallel bridge span on Lacrosse Street are almost all in place. On the south side of the bridge, I saw what seems to be the east median curb for the south crossover intersection already in place, despite no other work in progress for that section of roadway.

St Patrick Street is completed and reopened to traffic, while St Joseph has the left lane closed across from the courthouse for construction on what seems to be the city's newest attempt at a ten story skyscraper, an odd location considering it isn't near any of the other skyscrapers in the downtown core.

edit: i was way off, the ten story tower hasn't even started construction yet, and is actually right next to the downtown core. The building I was referencing just happened to be the same shape and under construction with at least 5 floors, so I assumed the two were one and the same. Road's still closed though, that didn't change.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

X99

Nightly closures on I-90 at Lacrosse again last night, tonight, and tomorrow, 9pm to 5am with traffic diverted to the ramps as usual. The new beams are all finished now, so I can't really tell what they're working on this time.

East Anamosa Street is closed just past the Elk Vale intersection- again. From what I've seen driving past, it seems their pavement rebuild after the last closure wasn't done properly, since it's the exact same spot missing now.

The intersection of 5th and Stumer remains under construction, with traffic in one lane in all directions causing traffic delays during rush hour. Anyone headed to Walmart is advised to take Black Hills Boulevard, but since that road doesn't continue north of Stumer to 5th, the traffic delays coming from the city remain.

SD Mapman

Quote from: X99 on May 25, 2022, 10:51:18 AM
East Anamosa Street is closed just past the Elk Vale intersection- again. From what I've seen driving past, it seems their pavement rebuild after the last closure wasn't done properly, since it's the exact same spot missing now.

The intersection of 5th and Stumer remains under construction, with traffic in one lane in all directions causing traffic delays during rush hour. Anyone headed to Walmart is advised to take Black Hills Boulevard, but since that road doesn't continue north of Stumer to 5th, the traffic delays coming from the city remain.
Ah, the legendary Rapid City pavement quality. Has the LaCrosse Walmart increased in busyness since the construction at 5th and Stumer?
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

X99

Quote from: SD Mapman on May 28, 2022, 02:32:16 PM
Quote from: X99 on May 25, 2022, 10:51:18 AM

Ah, the legendary Rapid City pavement quality. Has the LaCrosse Walmart increased in busyness since the construction at 5th and Stumer?
I don't typically go to the one on Lacrosse so I don't know for sure, but given its proximity to the interchange construction, I would assume they were both about the same. 5th is opening up again now though, so traffic impacts are lessening down there.

Speaking of Lacrosse, the westbound on ramp closed today and is expected to be closed through August to expedite widening and reconstruction- which, according to the drone shots on the project site from last month, is already finished, so aside from the widening I don't really know what their plan is with that one. EDIT: the eastbound on ramp is also closed, but that one is only supposed to run through July 1st.

All final curbs for the east side of the south crossover are in place south of the eastbound on ramp. This, and the fact that the new bridge is wide enough for two full lanes, are currently the only visible signs that the new interchange will be a DDI.

X99

Just got back from vacation, and as my flight was circling over the west side of the city, I got a perfectly framed view of the Lacrosse interchange through the right side window. Northbound traffic follows the new left lane going into the DDI east side crossover, then joins the old ramps at the site of the new intersections, crossing the highway on the old bridge.

As for Omaha, the project is in its final stages, with landscaping work on the new median currently in progress. Further east, the Homestead Street connection between Timmons Boulevard and Degeest Drive is finally complete, allowing a much more direct route to East Middle School to the east and Timmons Market to the west.

Two of these new projects (Homestead and Lacrosse) are paved with very dark asphalt, a stark contrast to the usual light gray of almost all other roads in the city.

SD Mapman

Quote from: X99 on July 05, 2022, 02:36:33 PM
Two of these new projects (Homestead and Lacrosse) are paved with very dark asphalt, a stark contrast to the usual light gray of almost all other roads in the city.
I think that's just because it's fresh, over the years it will lighten to match the other roads. That's at least my experience with Spearfish construction.

X99

Finally found a project page for the current construction work on SD 44 near Covington Drive. It seems the long delayed sidewalk is finally being built from Covington to Lacrosse. An intersection rebuild at Omaha and Cambell Streets is included as part of this project, and will see the removal of the four right turn ramps in favor of new right turn lanes on Omaha. Despite the project's eastern end at Covington, the planned stoplight for that intersection remains to be seen.

On the Lacrosse DDI, the old bridge seems to be finished in terms of overall shape- and it seems my original speculation of an expanded bridge was incorrect. The pedestrian sidewalk and fence has been re-added to the east side of the old bridge, with an estimated 5 foot gap between it and the new bridge, which remains under construction.

X99

The work at 5th and Stumer is complete, and all lanes have been reopened to traffic.

West Omaha is all but finished, with brief lane closures to work on things like landscaping and line painting.

The SD 44 sidewalk project is moving surprisingly quickly, with the work zone already past Mickelson Drive, and work on the East Omaha/Cambell intersection is expected to begin on the 15th.

All completed roads in Box Elder's Liberty Plaza development are now open to traffic, but at this time there is still nothing built on those roads for people to actually visit.

SoDakInterstateEnthusiast

Aberdonians, especially those residing near 5th Ave and 2nd St: "Am I a joke to you?"  :-D
"Please like, comment, and share on MySpace, not your space, you freak of nature"

SD Mapman

Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on August 17, 2022, 10:06:45 PM

Aberdonians, especially those residing near 5th Ave and 2nd St: "Am I a joke to you?"  :-D
Haven't been up that way since my grandparents from Conde died so I can neither affirm nor deny your statement lol, all I know is that E. Kansas City St. by Mines feels like you're driving over a washboardy gravel road, but paved.

SoDakInterstateEnthusiast

Quote from: SD Mapman on August 20, 2022, 10:36:11 AM
Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on August 17, 2022, 10:06:45 PM

Haven't been up that way since my grandparents from Conde died so I can neither affirm nor deny your statement lol, all I know is that E. Kansas City St. by Mines feels like you're driving over a washboardy gravel road, but paved.

Yeah, I know that feeling. I also know the feeling of pavement that feels like driving across a massive railyard in a 1995 Honda Civic - that's what 5th Ave from US-281 to the end of the divided portion, and 8th Ave from Dakota St east. (Obvious exaggeration, still very bad.)
"Please like, comment, and share on MySpace, not your space, you freak of nature"

X99

Probably should have mentioned this two weeks ago when it started, but the intersection of Omaha and Cambell is now under construction to remove the right turn ramps. Haven't been through it in a couple days, but as of now it seems the only turn ramp that has actually been torn out so far is the northbound Cambell to eastbound Omaha ramp. The outside westbound lane is closed through the intersection to facilitate sidewalk construction, and the outside eastbound lane is closed for construction on the removed ramp corner.

X99

The expansion of West Omaha Street is finished. Six lanes from West Boulevard/I-190 to Mountain View Road, five lanes from there to Deadwood Avenue (three westbound, two eastbound), four lanes past that. Any remaining lane closures are brief, and all of them are for median finishing work.

Further east on Omaha, the new westbound right turn lane at Cambell Street is paved, but not yet open. Lane closures through the intersection are still all over the place, and I still can't find anything on what the final design is supposed to look like.

Eastward from there, the sidewalk is completed from Creek Drive all the way to Covington, only missing the ADA ramps at the Jolly Lane intersection and an ADA ramp at the endpoint at Covington. Why they removed the curb, set everything up for a ramp, then put the original curb back in, I have no idea.

X99

Lacrosse Street through traffic has been moved to the new eastern bridge as of last Thursday. The westbound on ramp is closed so they can tear up and redo the pavement leading to it from the road, while the other ramps remain open.

On eastern Omaha, the new traffic lights are active at both Jolly Lane and Cambell Street. Both new sets of lights have no reflective ring around each signal, which makes them look out of place in comparison to most other traffic lights across the city. They also pulled the ADA ramp cut-and-cancel at St. Patrick Street, which required lane closures in both directions for two weeks that resulted in absolutely nothing getting accomplished.  :banghead:

Cambell Street currently has two lanes in each direction open through the Omaha intersection, while Omaha still only has one open lane each way despite all new road pavement being completed.

In somewhat less road related construction news, the new McDonalds in Box Elder is scheduled to be completed and open by early December, which will invalidate the "Last McDonalds for 205 miles" billboard just before the Elk Vale exit. (The distance is already technically wrong, since it doesn't count the McDonalds in Chamberlain for being too far off the interstate, but this new store should facilitate the billboard's removal.)

SD Mapman

Quote from: X99 on November 08, 2022, 11:03:16 AM
In somewhat less road related construction news, the new McDonalds in Box Elder is scheduled to be completed and open by early December, which will invalidate the "Last McDonalds for 205 miles" billboard just before the Elk Vale exit. (The distance is already technically wrong, since it doesn't count the McDonalds in Chamberlain for being too far off the interstate, but this new store should facilitate the billboard's removal.)
I thought it was referring to the Chamberlain one; 61 + 205 = 266 which is close-ish to Chamberlain (263). I figured they included the stupidly slow 20 mile an hour drive down Main from I-90 to the McDs. Where did you think it was referring to?

X99

Quote from: SD Mapman on November 08, 2022, 07:14:02 PM
I thought it was referring to the Chamberlain one; 61 + 205 = 266 which is close-ish to Chamberlain (263). I figured they included the stupidly slow 20 mile an hour drive down Main from I-90 to the McDs. Where did you think it was referring to?

Huh. I thought it was referencing the one in Mitchell. For some reason I thought it also said 305 miles instead of 205 until I checked the map while making that last post, so I guess I added the rest based on that.

SD Mapman

Quote from: X99 on November 09, 2022, 10:49:55 AM
Quote from: SD Mapman on November 08, 2022, 07:14:02 PM

Huh. I thought it was referencing the one in Mitchell. For some reason I thought it also said 305 miles instead of 205 until I checked the map while making that last post, so I guess I added the rest based on that.
They should put a McDonald's in Okaton, just mess everything up.

X99

All lanes are now open on Omaha through the Cambell intersection, however, that annoying tiny median curb is still in place on the east side of the intersection. Hoping that work has been paused for the winter, in order to keep as many lanes open as possible for when it starts snowing, and that the tiny curb will be removed in the spring.

Another recent observation I've made regarding the Lacrosse interchange: the two bridges are at visibly different elevations on the north end, with the new bridge's road deck at least six inches higher than the old bridge's deck. Not sure if it was built like that so the new bridge could settle, or if the new bridge is supposed to be that much higher than the old one.

Alps

Quote from: X99 on November 14, 2022, 12:51:54 PM
All lanes are now open on Omaha through the Cambell intersection, however, that annoying tiny median curb is still in place on the east side of the intersection. Hoping that work has been paused for the winter, in order to keep as many lanes open as possible for when it starts snowing, and that the tiny curb will be removed in the spring.

Another recent observation I've made regarding the Lacrosse interchange: the two bridges are at visibly different elevations on the north end, with the new bridge's road deck at least six inches higher than the old bridge's deck. Not sure if it was built like that so the new bridge could settle, or if the new bridge is supposed to be that much higher than the old one.
As a civil engineer: bridges don't get built 6" higher to settle. That's the bridge. Any settlement is addressed before a structure is built using overbuilt piles of dirt.

SD Mapman

Quote from: Alps on November 14, 2022, 05:36:11 PM

As a civil engineer: bridges don't get built 6" higher to settle. That's the bridge. Any settlement is addressed before a structure is built using overbuilt piles of dirt.
There was probably something in the IMJR about wanting a higher clearance than the old Lacrosse bridge for some reason or another. SDDOT did that at Exit 14 as well, raised the bridge a bit and lowered I-90.

Knowing the geography, it has an off chance of settling anyway and being undrivable while they try to stabilize the bedrock (see Exit 52).

X99

Quote from: SD Mapman on November 14, 2022, 10:23:41 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 14, 2022, 05:36:11 PM

There was probably something in the IMJR about wanting a higher clearance than the old Lacrosse bridge for some reason or another. SDDOT did that at Exit 14 as well, raised the bridge a bit and lowered I-90.

Knowing the geography, it has an off chance of settling anyway and being undrivable while they try to stabilize the bedrock (see Exit 52).

Higher clearance would make sense if it applied to both the old and new bridge. From what I know, there are no plans to replace the old bridge, only modifying it to fit the new configuration. As for the new bridge being undrivable while it stabilizes, that doesn't fit either- it's currently the only open bridge, and it opened as soon as the approaches were finished.

As for why I thought it needed to settle, I lived in a house in Box that settled continuously for the whole twelve years I lived there due to the soil types under the house (and an incorrectly built foundation that spurred a ten year lawsuit, but that's a different story). It could also be an issue of perspective- coming towards the interchange from the north means going uphill, and I might have looked at it wrong and seen an incline where there wasn't one. I'll have to check again after today's snowstorm goes away.

SD Mapman

Quote from: X99 on November 15, 2022, 12:35:25 PM
As for why I thought it needed to settle, I lived in a house in Box that settled continuously for the whole twelve years I lived there due to the soil types under the house (and an incorrectly built foundation that spurred a ten year lawsuit, but that's a different story).
Yup, the soils are garbage out there, and if a contractor doesn't compact properly you're in for the long haul.

X99

Despite the snow still on the ground, the spring construction season starts today with the closure of Lacrosse Street south of its intersection with Omaha, to begin reconstruction of the Omaha-Lacrosse intersection. This should be one of the final pieces of the east Highway 44 rebuild, as the new sidewalk from Lacrosse to Covington is already complete.

Moving to the south side, St Patrick Street will close tomorrow for resurfacing just west of 5th Street, with detours following 6th and St Francis to the southwest.

The Lacrosse DDI has yet to resume work, so no news there, but a new project has begun downtown: Block 5. The only current road closure for construction of the city's newest skyscraper is on 6th Street between St Joseph and the first alley to the south, as that area is being used for construction traffic and temporary storage. This closure is planned to last the full length of the project, at least 24 months.

X99

So it turns out the Lacrosse DDI did resume construction, I just missed it: all of the new stoplights are in place on the south side, and the smaller stoplight posts are in place on the north side median. Given the continuous on and off snow we keep getting every week, I'm not sure when the traffic configuration will change again, but when it does, it should match the DDI pattern instead of the current diamond layout.

Due south of this project, the Lacrosse-Omaha intersection rebuild is in full swing, with all of the signal lights removed (though as of now, two of the four old mast arms are still in place), only one lane in each direction on Omaha, and a westbound-only RIRO with Lacrosse to the north. The south side of the intersection has already been torn up for reconstruction, and the crews were still working through the snow as I drove past this morning on my way to work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.