AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Caltrans External Exit Tabs & 240 Inch Tall Overhead Signs  (Read 25590 times)

jakeroot

• Last Login: Today at 05:03:25 AM
    • Flickr
Re: Caltrans External Exit Tabs & 240 Inch Tall Overhead Signs
« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2022, 12:22:16 AM »

I would imagine the reason they went with a two-line tab is because, with a one line tab, it is too easy to get into a situation where the tab is wider than the main panel is. (LEFT EXIT 149A ... Jones)

I'm not sure about that. If it were an issue of the exit tab potentially being too wide, they should allow for the "LEFT" legend to be placed either next to or above, not always next to.

And if size was really an issue, why not experiment with alternative design options? Such as (a) exit tabs with black-on-yellow text to symbolize a left exit, or even (b) replacing the words with a symbol pointing left or right?

I'm pretty sure I read that the FHWA specifically wanted the "LEFT" legend to be stacked for improved recognition of the condition. Still, I'm insanely skeptical it makes any difference.

vdeane

• Last Login: January 29, 2023, 09:10:46 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2022, 12:54:33 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the extra height of having "LEFT" on top helps to draw attention to it as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

• Flickr
« Reply #227 on: December 08, 2022, 07:16:13 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the extra height of having "LEFT" on top helps to draw attention to it as well.

Most likely. But then, of course it would stand to reason that if we made every sign a hundred feet tall, of course no one would miss it.

Exaggerating slightly less: as much as I love APLs, I'm sure the extra sign area plays a role there, too.

I feel like there's a certain art in sign design that's being completely disregarded when it comes to LEFT exit tabs.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 07:38:53 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #228 on: December 08, 2022, 07:53:22 PM »

I've always felt like the real best practice would be to use the independent "LEFT" tab (which is intended for unnumbered left exits) and stack it on top of a standard exit tab.

jakeroot

• Flickr
« Reply #229 on: December 08, 2022, 08:08:15 PM »

I've always felt like the real best practice would be to use the independent "LEFT" tab (which is intended for unnumbered left exits) and stack it on top of a standard exit tab.

I would have assumed this was already allowed.

I think it's a good interim solution, but I feel the best long-term solution is something that doesn't involve literally spelling out "LEFT". Something with color, or a symbol. Something else that doesn't require our highway signs to have top edges that look more like a mountain range.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.