Tulsa Metro Highways | Small projects and construction

Started by Plutonic Panda, February 11, 2022, 05:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

A general catch all thread for Tulsa area roads and freeways that don't warrant their own thread.

Plutonic Panda

From the February 7th commission meeting:

QuoteAt their Monday, Feb. 7, meeting, members of the Oklahoma Transportation Commission approved a nearly $14 million contract for reconstruction of the US-169 bridges over 76th St. North in Owasso, pictured here. The replacement structures will be built to accommodate planned future widening of the corridor to six lanes.

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/newsroom/2022/february-commission-meeting-wrap-up--oklahoma-transportation-s-r.html

bugo

Not a state highway, but 81st between Sheridan and Memorial is being widened.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: bugo on February 11, 2022, 05:47:39 PM
I should clarify this can include any road project not just state roads. Just ones small enough to not warrant their own thread.

bugo

I haven't been that way in a month or so, but they were working on Memorial at 71st and 81st. It was a mess. I avoid that part of town as much as possible.

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on February 11, 2022, 07:51:15 PM
I haven't been that way in a month or so, but they were working on Memorial at 71st and 81st. It was a mess. I avoid that part of town as much as possible.

I hear you. Every time we go to Tulsa, we end up on 71st somewhere between Memorial and Garnett. A flippin'  nightmare.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 11, 2022, 05:35:06 PM
From the February 7th commission meeting:

QuoteAt their Monday, Feb. 7, meeting, members of the Oklahoma Transportation Commission approved a nearly $14 million contract for reconstruction of the US-169 bridges over 76th St. North in Owasso, pictured here. The replacement structures will be built to accommodate planned future widening of the corridor to six lanes.

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/newsroom/2022/february-commission-meeting-wrap-up--oklahoma-transportation-s-r.html
Tulsa World article on this project: https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/odot-to-begin-14m-bridge-expansion-along-u-s-169-in-owasso-this-spring/article_9cb69efe-8acd-11ec-88f4-1ba700500888.html

Plutonic Panda

New south river bridge being looked at near Jenks at 131st. Bridge would reportedly be tolled which really makes me wonder with the other bridge directly south being free how successful it would be.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/area-governments-to-take-another-look-at-possible-south-tulsa-toll-bridge-over-arkansas-river/article_0f78bd92-90d1-11ec-99af-f7ebec13045b.html

BigOkie

Quote from: rte66man on February 13, 2022, 12:07:05 PM

I hear you. Every time we go to Tulsa, we end up on 71st somewhere between Memorial and Garnett. A flippin'  nightmare.

I try and avoid 71st anywhere along it like the plague.  It's nothing but traffic hell all day long.  Over the weekend spent some time with the GF down Memorial south of the Creek and that is even worse.

BigOkie

Quote from: bugo on February 11, 2022, 05:47:39 PM

That section of road has needed that for years.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: BigOkie on March 08, 2022, 04:12:29 PM

I try and avoid 71st anywhere along it like the plague.  It's nothing but traffic hell all day long.  Over the weekend spent some time with the GF down Memorial south of the Creek and that is even worse.
This is my experience as well that road needs to be 4 lanes each way.

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 08, 2022, 04:17:44 PM
Quote from: BigOkie on March 08, 2022, 04:12:29 PM

This is my experience as well that road needs to be 4 lanes each way.

In my experience, surface arterials with that many lanes just end up being annoying in a different way. With even 3 lanes traffic ends up getting so spread out and staggered that there's no clear break in traffic if you need to make an unsignalized left turn.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Plutonic Panda

I like six lane roads because you're less likely to get behind two slowpokes instead of three. They could also install overpasses at some intersections.

bugo

Tulsa begins construction on $29M Yale widening project

Yale Avenue is being reconstructed and widened between 71st and 81st in south Tulsa. This is where Yale narrows to 2 lanes and climbs and descends a big hill. The current road has sharp curves and steep grades and poor sight lines, and it's also sliding down the hill. The reconstructed road will be 6 lanes with a median. It will still have curves, but they won't be as sharp. This is the most expensive street project in Tulsa history, with an estimated price tag of $30 million. This 1 mile long stretch of street looks more like the Ozarks than the rest of Tulsa, and sadly, this rural mountain character is going to be destroyed by the new road. But the old road is literally crumbling and they have to reconstruct it, so they might as well make it six lanes. This will connect I-44 and the Saint Francis hospital to the Creek Turnpike with a 6 lane divided street.

Plutonic Panda

That's awesome. Props to Tulsa for actually constructing properly built six lane streets unlike OKC. OKC needs to six lane Penn, May, and Western.

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on March 21, 2022, 07:23:35 PM
Tulsa begins construction on $29M Yale widening project

Yale Avenue is being reconstructed and widened between 71st and 81st in south Tulsa. This is where Yale narrows to 2 lanes and climbs and descends a big hill. The current road has sharp curves and steep grades and poor sight lines, and it's also sliding down the hill. The reconstructed road will be 6 lanes with a median. It will still have curves, but they won't be as sharp. This is the most expensive street project in Tulsa history, with an estimated price tag of $30 million. This 1 mile long stretch of street looks more like the Ozarks than the rest of Tulsa, and sadly, this rural mountain character is going to be destroyed by the new road. But the old road is literally crumbling and they have to reconstruct it, so they might as well make it six lanes. This will connect I-44 and the Saint Francis hospital to the Creek Turnpike with a 6 lane divided street.

When I was dating my now-wife, she lived in some apartments at 81st and Yale. At that time, Yale was 2 lanes both north and south of the intersection. Some pretty nail-biting times when we had ice and snow.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

Quote from: rte66man on March 22, 2022, 06:13:59 PM
When I was dating my now-wife, she lived in some apartments at 81st and Yale. At that time, Yale was 2 lanes both north and south of the intersection. Some pretty nail-biting times when we had ice and snow.

That is a pretty steep hill. That whole area is hilly. The downhill grade just south of 61st and Sheridan heading north can be scary, as there is a traffic light at the bottom of a steep hill. There is also a big hill on Harvard between 71st and 81st with curves, similar to the section of Yale that is being discussed.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2022, 12:50:19 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 23, 2022, 12:18:08 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2022, 06:41:50 AM
Oklahoma is flat.

Kay.
Awww...wook at the widdle bumpies...

Ride a bike down 74B and get back to me. It ain't a whole lot of fun.

I feel bad giving the Arbuckle, Wichita, and Quartz Mountains any degree of legitimacy as "mountains"–they're not–but they are at the very least not flat.

And of course, there's the Talimena Drive:

There are plenty of memes you can use about Oklahoma. There are plenty of things that suck about it, and plenty of things to make fun of that any of us who are from here will happily laugh along with. And I'll even agree with you that a good chunk of it west of US-81 (where basically nobody lives) is pretty flat. But the whole state? Unlike the Duchy of Carhorn, that's not even remotely close to true.

Plutonic Panda

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 23, 2022, 01:20:19 PM
I mean depending on how you look at it it isn't even in the top 20 flattest states.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/flattest-states
Funny how that map was made at the University of Kansas.  Someone didn't like Kansas being called flat... :D

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2022, 01:28:27 PM
I mean depending on how you look at it it isn't even in the top 20 flattest states.

Funny how that map was made at the University of Kansas.  Someone didn't like Kansas being called flat... :D
Hah I didn't catch that

skluth

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 23, 2022, 01:32:15 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2022, 01:28:27 PM

Hah I didn't catch that
It's not only Kansas that is flatter than Oklahoma by their criteria. It's Missouri (ever hear of the Ozarks), Wisconsin (has both the Canadian Shield and the Driftless Area), Virginia (I guess the western half including the Blue Ridge and Appalachians doesn't count), New York (Adirondacks, Catskills, etc), Pennsylvania (Alleghanies, etc), and California (yea, there's the Central Valley and Mojave, but the Sierra Nevada and Coastal Ranges aren't flat). OTOH, North Dakota and Illinois are among the least flat states by their criteria and both are ungodly flat with just a few hilly areas. The only real terrain in Kansas is the Flint Hills and they aren't all that hilly. That's the problem with garbage criteria. If I ever needed evidence to show garbage in -> garbage out, that might be Exhibit A.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.