Oklahoma Bans MUTCD

Started by Ned Weasel, April 01, 2023, 06:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Hog

Quote from: US 41 on April 03, 2023, 05:06:15 PM
I actually meant it. I love Oklahoma. It's like a healthy Midwestern / Southwestern mix. I've been looking for land to buy in the western part of the state. Would really like to find something in Boise City, but there's not a lot there unfortunately.
Oklahoma in the past has had a libertarian bent which I liked, but lately (in the last 6-7 years) it's been riding the toadstool hard.

Scott5114

Quote from: Road Hog on April 09, 2023, 09:43:21 PM
I actually meant it. I love Oklahoma. It's like a healthy Midwestern / Southwestern mix. I've been looking for land to buy in the western part of the state. Would really like to find something in Boise City, but there's not a lot there unfortunately.
Oklahoma in the past has had a libertarian bent which I liked, but lately (in the last 6-7 years) it's been riding the toadstool hard.

I would suggest any supposed libertarian image the state may have put out toward outsiders in the past is pure fiction. When I was growing up, tattoo parlors were illegal and the only beer for sale outside of a liquor store was limited to 3.2% ABV. This is the state that inspired Footloose.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bickendan

Quote from: bugo on April 09, 2023, 05:10:24 PM
Quote from: BigOkie on April 04, 2023, 11:25:14 AM
Keeping with the MUTCD subject, anyone who is familiar with the stretch of I-244 eastbound between Sheridan and OK 11 knows that since 244 has an affinity with left exits

I-244 is a little under 16 miles long, and it has 23 left exits or entrances. Here are three of the exits in a row.

Impressive, that's more than the 180 km Yamuna Expressway in Uttar Pradesh, India!

BigOkie

Quote from: Bickendan on April 10, 2023, 12:28:44 AM
Quote from: bugo on April 09, 2023, 05:10:24 PM
Quote from: BigOkie on April 04, 2023, 11:25:14 AM
Keeping with the MUTCD subject, anyone who is familiar with the stretch of I-244 eastbound between Sheridan and OK 11 knows that since 244 has an affinity with left exits

I-244 is a little under 16 miles long, and it has 23 left exits or entrances. Here are three of the exits in a row.

Impressive, that's more than the 180 km Yamuna Expressway in Uttar Pradesh, India!

It has taken me 30 years of driving in this city to navigate the NW section of the IDL (where this is located) in a manner as to not get me killed.

CapeCodder

Quote from: bugo on April 02, 2023, 06:03:48 AM
The ugly sign has been there since at least 2012. This is from 2014:

Still can't beat the "CrAiG CoUnTy" and "COnCeSsIoNs" signs.

BigOkie

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 09, 2023, 09:57:56 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on April 09, 2023, 09:43:21 PM

I would suggest any supposed libertarian image the state may have put out toward outsiders in the past is pure fiction. When I was growing up, tattoo parlors were illegal and the only beer for sale outside of a liquor store was limited to 3.2% ABV. This is the state that inspired Footloose.

Yep, and it's not been that long now that anything above 3.2abv has been available in grocery stores, convenience stores, etc.  And then in pretty short order, they passed a law allowing liquor stores to be open on Sundays (which is on a county by county basis).  And they removed many of the mandated holidays they must observe; now it's down to just Thanksgiving and Christmas I believe.  Also removed the restriction that liquor stores must be closed while elections are in progress (I know many stores that would open on 7pm on election days only to be able to stay open two hours because of the arcane alcohol laws).

Bobby5280

Most counties (like Comanche County here) are keeping the liquor stores closed on Sundays and certain holidays. But you can buy beer or wine in a grocery store on Sunday here. Bars are still supposed to close by/before 2:00am. Quite a few bars, night clubs and other out of home hang-outs have closed down over the past 10 or so years (not because of any bible-thumping efforts, but more because a lot of younger adults are socializing more thru their phones and computers, meeting in person less).

But, yeah, I agree 100% with Road Hog about Oklahoma or rather its state government "riding the toad stool hard."

The new state superintendent for public education is an absolute jackass. Oklahoma has been losing teachers to other higher paying states for a long time because we don't pay teachers worth a damn. This week the guy called the teachers union a "terrorist organization." They're trying to ram-rod a so-called "school choice" bill into law. But the idiots in charge appear blissfully ignorant of some basic math. All but a few counties in Oklahoma are losing population, especially the rural counties. The small town/rural areas are aging ever older. A small town with a lopsided percentage of retired age people isn't going to have dick for a tax base to fund schools. A bunch of these places can barely keep the one school they have in town operational. Yet we're going to re-direct a bunch of funding to other kinds of schools. This stupid shit is going to result in more teachers leaving this back-water state in disgust. And it's going to make this state a far less desirable landing spot for young couples fleeing California or the Northeast US. Hell, we'll probably see more of our own people move off to Texas, Colorado or elsewhere.

Ultimately this "culture war" crap is bad for business. We're trying to grow some industry around here. But it's going to be hard to do if those companies can't staff up properly. Leaning hard into fundamentalism is not a good way to attract highly educated, highly skilled workers here.

elsmere241

Your superintendent is borrowing a line from then-Education Secretary Rod Paige, who nineteen years ago said something similar about the NEA.

sprjus4

Quote from: CapeCodder on May 03, 2023, 05:54:37 AM

This sign is arguably worse, IMO. This is hideous. Even to a non-roadgeek I'd be willing to bet.

BigOkie

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 03, 2023, 11:49:56 AM

This sign is arguably worse, IMO. This is hideous. Even to a non-roadgeek I'd be willing to bet.

I rarely get that far south on 169 but it always sticks out like a sore thumb when I do get out that way.  Ugh.

bugo

BigOkie

Quote from: bugo on May 03, 2023, 04:52:26 PM

I drive this section of the Will Rogers sort of frequently; not sure why I've never noticed that.

Bobby5280

The thing that really pisses me off about those signs: after a few years of aging in the sun ODOT replaces the worn/faded letters using the exact same layout with all the damned errors!

If there's any kind of graphic design jobs that are asking to be replaced with artificial intelligence schemes these freaking highway sign design jobs are asking to get placed at the front of the line.

vdeane

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 03, 2023, 07:38:51 PM
The thing that really pisses me off about those signs: after a few years of aging in the sun ODOT replaces the worn/faded letters using the exact same layout with all the damned errors!

If there's any kind of graphic design jobs that are asking to be replaced with artificial intelligence schemes these freaking highway sign design jobs are asking to get placed at the front of the line.
Be careful what you wish for.  They might train the AI with Oklahoma signage.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bugo

Quote from: BigOkie on May 03, 2023, 05:45:58 PM
.I drive this section of the Will Rogers sort of frequently; not sure why I've never noticed that.

This sign was on the Cherokee Turnpike, and it's been gone since at least 2012. The service plaza was removed years ago.

swake

Quote from: BigOkie on May 03, 2023, 03:37:51 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 03, 2023, 11:49:56 AM

I rarely get that far south on 169 but it always sticks out like a sore thumb when I do get out that way.  Ugh.

This sign is a quarter mile before that sign and is even worse
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0248281,-95.8728916,3a,37.6y,83.01h,103.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_VXgTCKZJ9c8DlgSZpvLGA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

on_wisconsin

Heh... I could see a dark red state instruct its DOT/ DPWs to not follow the MUTCD as a test to see if the Feds would actually follow through on withholding funds.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Scott5114

Quote from: on_wisconsin on May 04, 2023, 02:31:06 AM
Heh... I could see a dark red state instruct its DOT/ DPWs to not follow the MUTCD as a test to see if the Feds would actually follow through on withholding funds.

Isn't that what happened with the Florida colored US route shields? Granted, that was 30 years ago, but they've done it before.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

They're going with Geneva Convention striping and signage, complete with all of the coloration logic and measurement units?

KEWL!

:hyper:

Mike

on_wisconsin

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 04, 2023, 08:22:41 AM

Isn't that what happened with the Florida colored US route shields? Granted, that was 30 years ago, but they've done it before.

Fair Point. But it would be interesting to see the rule challenged in the current political and judicial environment.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

SectorZ

We had numerous dark blue states (plus purple NH) do the same with exit numbers for decades.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: SectorZ on May 04, 2023, 01:14:05 PM

We had numerous dark blue states (plus purple NH) do the same with exit numbers for decades.
Thinking something more like a new change, noticeable to the average motorist. Like a new road marking color or LED stoplight strips and such.

SectorZ

Quote from: on_wisconsin on May 04, 2023, 01:27:53 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on May 04, 2023, 01:14:05 PM

Thinking something more like a new change, noticeable to the average motorist. Like a new road marking color or LED stoplight strips and such.

Ah, OK. Yeah that would stand out a tad more.

SteveG1988

The best AFD jokes have a nugget of reality to go off of. Well done.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.