News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2021, 03:11:52 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 14, 2021, 02:58:01 PM
Are parking signs in your area normally parallel to the road, with arrows pointing towards the restriction? I've seen this before and I think it makes more sense. I received a ticket for parking here once; I thought the 90-min restriction applied beyond the sign.

I so rarely have to parallel-park where there are signs, that I'm not even sure.  Let's check GSV...

example near my house
example of beginning and end
another beginning and end
begin no parking zone

I think the parallel-to-street setup with arrows is far more logical.

Quote from: 1 on January 14, 2021, 09:20:55 PM
Quote from: mrsman on January 14, 2021, 09:18:14 PM
In most states in the northeast, the colored curbs have no meaning, only the signage controls parking regulations.  You sometimes see homeowners paint yellow around their driveways, but the yellow has no official meaning.  It would really be nice if they painted curbs around fire hydrants, especially in places like NYC with lots of hydrants and little parking.

If there's more than a few inches of snow, you won't be able to see the curb color.

Why would that matter? The Seattle area is an extensive user of curb colors, much like California, and we get snow. Maybe not feet of snow, but it still snows from time to time, enough to block curb colors. The colored curbs are never used by themselves, but are guides so that you know to which points the signs apply.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on January 14, 2021, 02:58:01 PM
Are parking signs in your area normally parallel to the road, with arrows pointing towards the restriction? I've seen this before and I think it makes more sense. I received a ticket for parking here once; I thought the 90-min restriction applied beyond the sign.

It really seems to be a combination. Simple "No Parking" signs for a continuous no parking area (and related variants, like "no parking, bike lane") tend to be mounted perpendicular to the road (like virtually all road signs), or sometimes at a 45° angle to the road. But other signs with unique parking restrictions and denoting specified parking zones tend to either be parallel to the road or at a 45° angle (with, I think, the angle being more common) and use arrows to denote the zones.

When defining specific parking zones/restrictions, I think the an angle mounting approach is best because it can be seen from the roadway and the arrows will make intuitive sense in defining the zone's endpoints. Perpendicular mounting is less obvious as to where the restrictions apply without additional context, and arrows don't make as much sense (does left or right mean "forward from sign"?).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on January 14, 2021, 09:25:24 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 14, 2021, 09:20:55 PM
Quote from: mrsman on January 14, 2021, 09:18:14 PM
In most states in the northeast, the colored curbs have no meaning, only the signage controls parking regulations.  You sometimes see homeowners paint yellow around their driveways, but the yellow has no official meaning.  It would really be nice if they painted curbs around fire hydrants, especially in places like NYC with lots of hydrants and little parking.

If there's more than a few inches of snow, you won't be able to see the curb color.

Why would that matter? The Seattle area is an extensive user of curb colors, much like California, and we get snow. Maybe not feet of snow, but it still snows from time to time, enough to block curb colors. The colored curbs are never used by themselves, but are guides so that you know to which points the signs apply.

I believe some states and/or local entities have codified curb colors to have specific meanings in regards to parking regulations, and it's very likely some of these jurisdictions rely on the paint alone without signs to enforce restrictions. So in situations where the curb could be covered by snow, paint has faded, etc., this can be problematic for road users. There is also the issue that not all jurisdictions use the same colors for the same meaning, so people not familiar with local parking regulations may be extra susceptible to receiving parking tickets.

Thus, painting a curb to enforce parking regulations should really be a supplement to signs.

I'll also note that the MUTCD does not define meanings for painted curbs in the context of parking regulations, and encourages use of signs to convey parking regulations and paint to supplement.
Quote from: 2009 MUTCD
Section 3B.23 Curb Markings

Support:
01 Curb markings are most often used to indicate parking regulations or to delineate the curb.

Standard:
02 Where curbs are marked to convey parking regulations in areas where curb markings are frequently obscured by snow and ice accumulation, signs shall be used with the curb markings except as provided in Paragraph 4.

Guidance:
03 Except as provided in Paragraph 4, when curb markings are used without signs to convey parking regulations, a legible word marking regarding the regulation (such as "No Parking" or "No Standing") should be placed on the curb.

Option:
04 Curb markings without word markings or signs may be used to convey a general prohibition by statute of parking within a specified distance of a stop sign, YIELD sign, driveway, fire hydrant, or crosswalk.

05 Local highway agencies may prescribe special colors for curb markings to supplement standard signs for parking regulation.

Support:
06 Since yellow and white curb markings are frequently used for curb delineation and visibility, it is advisable to establish parking regulations through the installation of standard signs (see Sections 2B.46 through 2B.48).
<...>
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on January 16, 2021, 01:58:35 PM
I believe some states and/or local entities have codified curb colors to have specific meanings in regards to parking regulations, and it's very likely some of these jurisdictions rely on the paint alone without signs to enforce restrictions. So in situations where the curb could be covered by snow, paint has faded, etc., this can be problematic for road users. There is also the issue that not all jurisdictions use the same colors for the same meaning, so people not familiar with local parking regulations may be extra susceptible to receiving parking tickets.

Thus, painting a curb to enforce parking regulations should really be a supplement to signs.

I can't really speak for areas outside of Washington, but I've not seen painted curbs used without supplemental signage (but then, I've always considered the curb colors to be the supplemental bit). The only thing that rarely has an accompanying sign are bus curbs, which are alternating red and yellow. The only accompanying sign is typically the bus route signage. This is an example, immediately adjacent to the 90-min parking spot that I was ticked in.

From what I've seen, "red [no parking] zones" also aren't signed that often (stop signs being an exception), but I would think that red curbing would be correctly interpreted as "no parking/stopping/standing" by the vast majority of drivers. Plus, I think most jurisdictions, at least in WA, have codified rules about parking within a certain distance of driveways (5ft in Tacoma), so many of the red curbs are extensions of that law, and are a reminder not to park with your car immediately perpendicular to the exit from a driveway or alley (although I recognize most people ignore this rule).

The big question, to me, is California. California uses green and blue, which I do not see in WA (white is common here but only in some areas -- always signed as it has multiple meanings). I would think they would sign both, particularly since green has multiple meanings (time lengths), and blue (disabled parking) would have to be accompanied by an actual sign to be enforced. I would think.

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Ned Weasel

"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

ErmineNotyours

Burying the lead.  Sure, there's a playground ahead, but you'll have to slow to zero before you get there.

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on January 16, 2021, 02:21:36 PM
Quote from: roadfro on January 16, 2021, 01:58:35 PM

I can't really speak for areas outside of Washington, but I've not seen painted curbs used without supplemental signage (but then, I've always considered the curb colors to be the supplemental bit). The only thing that rarely has an accompanying sign are bus curbs, which are alternating red and yellow. The only accompanying sign is typically the bus route signage. This is an example, immediately adjacent to the 90-min parking spot that I was ticked in.

From what I've seen, "red [no parking] zones" also aren't signed that often (stop signs being an exception), but I would think that red curbing would be correctly interpreted as "no parking/stopping/standing" by the vast majority of drivers. Plus, I think most jurisdictions, at least in WA, have codified rules about parking within a certain distance of driveways (5ft in Tacoma), so many of the red curbs are extensions of that law, and are a reminder not to park with your car immediately perpendicular to the exit from a driveway or alley (although I recognize most people ignore this rule).

The big question, to me, is California. California uses green and blue, which I do not see in WA (white is common here but only in some areas -- always signed as it has multiple meanings). I would think they would sign both, particularly since green has multiple meanings (time lengths), and blue (disabled parking) would have to be accompanied by an actual sign to be enforced. I would think.

To me the ideal with regard to parking restrictions would be both signs and paint markings.  The paint is very helpful to denote the areas of allowed and not allowed parking, but the signs would generally carry the force of law.  If both were used, the painted curbs are not an issue with regard to heavy snowfall or other issues where the curb can be obscured.

I can also tell you that many states (or localities) have rules ingrained in law regarding how close you may or may not park to an intersection, crosswalk, and/or fire hydrant.  These often are not accompanied by signs.  With regard to fire hydrants specifically, I can tell you that even though there is no sign present, CA cities routinely paint the zone in red, but in NYC there are no markings.  It would be nice if the city would paint the curb there for the 9 months of the year when there is no snow and not risk getting a ticket, because I left my yardstick at home.

Jakeroot specifically asked about CA's use of the green and blue curbs.  While every city operates differently, Los Angeles will typically put in place some type of sign to accompany these.  L.A. would also paint white words ontop of the colored curbs with the limits.  There is a picture on this website of markings on the green curb.

https://blog.spothero.com/5-ways-to-find-free-parking-in-la/

What typically is not put on signs or on the pavement is the "secret" that yellow zones are for loading only from 7 AM - 6 PM Mon-Sat.  So at nighttime and on Sundays, you can park for an unlimited time at yellow zones.

https://laist.com/2007/06/24/its_one_of_the.php

vdeane

Interesting gore sign placement on Sunrise Highway:

Most exits here use overheads:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rellis97

PurdueBill

Quote from: vdeane on January 18, 2021, 08:12:03 PM
Interesting gore sign placement on Sunrise Highway:

Reminds me of Exits 16 and 17 westbound on the Mass Pike until a couple years ago.
Exit 17's gore sign was in advance on the side and by 2016 it was leaning back at the joint, and in 2017 it had fallen back if you check the other dates in the imagery.  2018 imagery from Charlesbank Road shows what sure looks like the sign down nearly into the railroad ROW in the brush[/url]; who knows what happened to it after that.  Sign replacement got rid of the button copy along there a couple years ago and a proper gore sign was installed at the actual gore point for then-Exit 17.

Exit 16 also had the misplaced advance gore sign, and if you move from date to date and check out the overhead on the bridge, it can be seen that the button copy gore sign coexisted with the new overhead for a year or so before the properly-placed gore sign went in and the old one was removed.  Meanwhile, the bottoms of the posts stick around at the previous exit. 

Somehow eastbound, the 90s button copy gore signs all went in the right place; the errors were westbound-only.  And it may be faulty memory but I could swear that the previous signs (before these mid-90s button copy ones) had misplaced gore signs too; I remember seeing the Exit 17 one from Charlesbank Road on the Walk For Hunger long ago. 

kphoger

Here's a warning sign I've never seen in real life.  Just saw it on GSV, at a roadside checkpoint in Mexico.

PRODUCCIÃ"N DE RAYOS GAMMA = GAMMA RAYS GENERATED

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2021, 11:00:36 AM
Here's a warning sign I've never seen in real life.  Just saw it on GSV, at a roadside checkpoint in Mexico.

PRODUCCIÃ"N DE RAYOS GAMMA = GAMMA RAYS GENERATED

Are they trying to turn unsuspecting motorists into the Hulk?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2021, 02:52:04 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 19, 2021, 02:33:01 PM
I believe the 1 is to come first?https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/50848872888/in/photostream

For posterity:

Jacksonville, FL- I-95 by john p nasiatka, on Flickr

My Nokia phone won’t let me post my Flickr as the box on the lower corner doesn’t show up. The drop down that lets you choose a size and copy is not there on that particular device.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

chays

Someone thought that rotating a merge warning to indicate a fairly basic right turn was a good idea.
Industry Rd approaching SR-524 in Cocoa, FL.
https://goo.gl/maps/THkavEHidFQHwtcb7

Rothman

Quote from: chays on January 19, 2021, 11:40:06 PM
Someone thought that rotating a merge warning to indicate a fairly basic right turn was a good idea.

I've seen that in other locations.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Quote from: roadman65 on January 19, 2021, 03:06:38 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2021, 02:52:04 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 19, 2021, 02:33:01 PM
I believe the 1 is to come first?https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/50848872888/in/photostream

For posterity:

(img)

My Nokia phone won’t let me post my Flickr as the box on the lower corner doesn’t show up. The drop down that lets you choose a size and copy is not there on that particular device.

See if the browser allows you select "View Desktop Site" or something similarly named. It reloads the desktop version of the site, which has the little arrow button to choose which one you want with the BB Code. Admittedly, it's a little tough to use and sometimes I have to rotate the phone or pinch zoom in/out to get those tiny icons to appear.

Quote from: Rothman on January 19, 2021, 11:50:40 PM

I've seen them rotated 90 or 45 degrees, which I'm assuming is improper usage...but I appreciate those "no-need-to merge" signs anyhow.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: formulanone on January 20, 2021, 07:16:32 AM

I've seen them rotated 90 or 45 degrees, which I'm assuming is improper usage...but I appreciate those "no-need-to merge" signs anyhow.

As long as it's a diamond, the added lane sign is probably correct and proper.  Actual conditions dictate how the exact diagram on the sign should be placed.  https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/fig2c_08_longdesc.htm

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 20, 2021, 07:58:50 AM

As long as it's a diamond, the added lane sign is probably correct and proper.  Actual conditions dictate how the exact diagram on the sign should be placed.  https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/fig2c_08_longdesc.htm

Somebody post that in Crash_It's thread about people not getting the continued right turn lane right.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 20, 2021, 07:58:50 AM

I see these a lot.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.