News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Christmas Birthday Curse

Started by ZLoth, December 17, 2023, 10:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

I happen to know of three people whose birthday is occurring within five days prior to Christmas. Personally, I think these people are cursed because people give them a gift and say "It's your birthday and Christmas gift."
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ZLoth on December 17, 2023, 10:30:27 AM
I happen to know of three people whose birthday is occurring within five days prior to Christmas. Personally, I think these people are cursed because people give them a gift and say "It's your birthday and Christmas gift."

Both my birthday and my brother's birthday are in December, and my brother's bday is a week before Christmas.  So we also had the 'combined' party along with the birthday/Christmas gift.

kalvado

Think about it as an April fools joke

ZLoth

Quote from: kalvado on December 17, 2023, 11:24:38 AMThink about it as an April fools joke

My half-sister was born on April 1st. No joke.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

oscar

One of my sisters has her birthday the day after Christmas. But then, at our ages, we're long past making a big deal about birthdays, or giving birthday gifts. I'll just wish her a happy Boxing Day.

The exception is a 90-something aunt, who we take out for dinner on her June birthday (that kind of longevity rates a celebration). if and when my nieces have kids, we'll make a fuss about their birthdays too.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NWI_Irish96

My wife's birthday is shortly after Christmas. I always make it a point to designate one gift from me and one from the kids as birthday presents, though more often than not, she opens them on Christmas instead of waiting until her birthday.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

The one person I knew whose birthday was on Christmas didn't care because he was Jewish.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

I have known a person or two born on Feb 29. That's a real birthday curse - you only get a birthday once every 4 years.

dlsterner

Quote from: ZLoth on December 17, 2023, 11:58:39 AM
Quote from: kalvado on December 17, 2023, 11:24:38 AMThink about it as an April fools joke

A friend of the family was not only born on April 1st, but so was her mother and one of her daughters.

kalvado

Quote from: dlsterner on December 17, 2023, 04:31:49 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on December 17, 2023, 11:58:39 AM

A friend of the family was not only born on April 1st, but so was her mother and one of her daughters.
Celebrating solstice is an ancient tradition....

Scott5114

We have two people in my D&D group that have birthdays in December (one was yesterday, one is the 29th). Both of them agree that this drives them absolutely mad. The easiest way to get on their good side is to give them two gifts.

I contend that having a February birthday is ideal, as it's at a point in the year where there's not really much else in the way of things to celebrate (does anyone actually look forward to Washington's Birthday or Valentine's Day?) and it's spaced out enough from Christmas that anyone trying to cover both with a single gift just looks cheap.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DTComposer

My brother's birthday is Dec. 27th, and mine is in June. So we would celebrate my birthday and his half birthday, so we both got presents every six months. 

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 17, 2023, 07:09:14 PM

We have two people in my D&D group that have birthdays in December (one was yesterday, one is the 29th). Both of them agree that this drives them absolutely mad. The easiest way to get on their good side is to give them two gifts.

I contend that having a February birthday is ideal, as it's at a point in the year where there's not really much else in the way of things to celebrate (does anyone actually look forward to Washington's Birthday or Valentine's Day?) and it's spaced out enough from Christmas that anyone trying to cover both with a single gift just looks cheap.

My birthday is on May 31 and as a kid I really liked that when it fell on Monday I had the day off from school, plus the pools were open.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

KCRoadFan

My birthday is July 23 - I love how I can celebrate it at the waterpark!

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

I come from a family full of December birthdays. Me, my dad, an aunt, and two first cousins.

I always had to take the money my grandmother gave me for my birthday to buy Christmas presents.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Our eldest son's birthday is January 4.  Our family does our best to stretch Christmas out for the full twelve days.  January 4 is the 11th day of Christmas.  The tree is still up and decorated on that day, there's still one more present left to open, and we have a big holiday feast (Epiphany) coming up two days later.  We do our best to make sure it still feels like a birthday and not just part of Christmastide.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

-- US 175 --

Mine is between Christmas and New Years.  Some years were somewhat better than others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.