When was the last time either of the Dakotas designated a new highway?

Started by TCN7JM, July 02, 2013, 03:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD Mapman

You think that's bad... you should see some of the signage in the Hills. Atrocious!
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

TCN7JM

Quote from: M86 on October 25, 2013, 05:36:18 AM
Some of my beef with SD 100 is the lack of signage.  Signage like the "Next Signal" signage I see in Missouri would be great.

And why they decided to keep Arrowhead Parkway (SD 42) & future SD 100 (current SD 11/Powder House Road) as an at grade intersection...  Big flop.
It's perfectly fine as an at-grade intersection. If you've been here recently, the traffic there isn't actually that bad, even during rush hours.
You don't realize how convenient gridded cities are until you move somewhere the roads are a mess.

Counties

SD Mapman

It's kinda like the last bypass they did around Rapid. Some intersections are at-grade, while others are not.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Molandfreak

Quote from: SD Mapman on October 26, 2013, 11:11:48 PM
It's kinda like the last bypass they did around Rapid. Some intersections are at-grade, while others are not.
Aren't all of SD 100's connections supposed to be at-grade? I heard there would be mostly traffic lights.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

M86

Quote from: TCN7JM on October 26, 2013, 02:35:17 PM
Some of my beef with SD 100 is the lack of signage.  Signage like the "Next Signal" signage I see in Missouri would be great.

And why they decided to keep Arrowhead Parkway (SD 42) & future SD 100 (current SD 11/Powder House Road) as an at grade intersection...  Big flop.
It's perfectly fine as an at-grade intersection. If you've been here recently, the traffic there isn't actually that bad, even during rush hours.
I'm very familiar with Sioux Falls... I guess you don't understand future growth?

The SD 100 study wants interchanges at Benson Road and 57th Street... You can't tell me the Arrowhead/SD 100 will be a low traffic area.

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on October 27, 2013, 01:27:28 AM

I'm very familiar with Sioux Falls... I guess you don't understand future growth?

The SD 100 study wants interchanges at Benson Road and 57th Street... You can't tell me the Arrowhead/SD 100 will be a low traffic area.
True, but... I wonder where the majority of people commute to and from in Sioux Falls?

M86

Quote from: SD Mapman on October 27, 2013, 11:45:48 PM
Quote from: M86 on October 27, 2013, 01:27:28 AM

True, but... I wonder where the majority of people commute to and from in Sioux Falls?
I'll put it this way.  Years ago, before SDDOT and the city of Sioux Falls actually worked with each other, the city of Sioux Falls built up developments at I-29 & 57th Street.  This would be a logical area for an interchange, between 41st and I-229, and it would work... but the lack of coordination failed... and members of the Sioux Falls City Council have acknowledged this.  As a result, the 57th/Louise/Western area is very congested. 

It's a right of way thing... Maybe they could put a SPUI or Diverging Diamond in at Arrowhead and Highway 100, in the future.  Just secure enough right of way.  And hopefully SDDOT thought of this.

M86

Quote from: Molandfreak on October 26, 2013, 11:25:30 PM
Aren't all of SD 100's connections supposed to be at-grade? I heard there would be mostly traffic lights.
SD 100 will have interchanges at Benson Road and 57th Street.

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on November 01, 2013, 02:17:16 AM
As a result, the 57th/Louise/Western area is very congested. 
Too true... even at 9 at night!
And hopefully SDDOT thought of this.
Knowing them, they probably didn't. They repaved US 14A in Spearfish city limits a couple years ago, then promptly decided to put roundabouts in. But because they just repaved it, they now have to wait until the end of the asphalt's lifespan for it to be cost-effective.

M86

Quote from: SD Mapman on November 01, 2013, 02:17:43 PM
Knowing them, they probably didn't. They repaved US 14A in Spearfish city limits a couple years ago, then promptly decided to put roundabouts in. But because they just repaved it, they now have to wait until the end of the asphalt's lifespan for it to be cost-effective.

Where are these roundabouts in Spearfish?  I was there 2 years ago, and there were no roundabouts at all.  I remember seeing ideas for roundabouts at the ramp terminals on I-90 in Spearfish via SDDOT. 

If it's Exit 14, then yes... A roundabout is the best choice.
They work great with lower traffic... People just have to become accustomed to it... Much like a SPUI or Diverging Diamond.

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on November 02, 2013, 01:32:20 AM
Quote from: SD Mapman on November 01, 2013, 02:17:43 PM

Where are these roundabouts in Spearfish?  I was there 2 years ago, and there were no roundabouts at all.  I remember seeing ideas for roundabouts at the ramp terminals on I-90 in Spearfish via SDDOT. 

If it's Exit 14, then yes... A roundabout is the best choice.
They work great with lower traffic... People just have to become accustomed to it... Much like a SPUI or Diverging Diamond.
Maybe I said it wrong. Roundabouts are not going to be put in for several years on that stretch due to DOT incompetence. That was the point I was trying to make. Sorry if I confused you!

TCN7JM

It's a right of way thing... Maybe they could put a SPUI or Diverging Diamond in at Arrowhead and Highway 100, in the future.  Just secure enough right of way.  And hopefully SDDOT thought of this.
I don't think I'd be against this, but it would cost a lot of money and time, reconfiguring the entire road and whatnot. Also, the land to the east of the intersection seems pretty crowded, so something might need to be done there.
You don't realize how convenient gridded cities are until you move somewhere the roads are a mess.

Counties

froggie

QuoteKnowing them, they probably didn't. They repaved US 14A in Spearfish city limits a couple years ago, then promptly decided to put roundabouts in. But because they just repaved it, they now have to wait until the end of the asphalt's lifespan for it to be cost-effective.

Not necessarily.  One nice thing about asphalt is that it can be recycled.

SD Mapman

Quote from: froggie on November 03, 2013, 10:09:57 PM
QuoteKnowing them, they probably didn't. They repaved US 14A in Spearfish city limits a couple years ago, then promptly decided to put roundabouts in. But because they just repaved it, they now have to wait until the end of the asphalt's lifespan for it to be cost-effective.

Not necessarily.  One nice thing about asphalt is that it can be recycled.
Huh, you learn something new every day. What do you need to recycle it?

froggie

To oversimplify, it gets broken up, then can be reapplied just like new aggregate in the paving machine.  BTW, asphalt actually refers to the oily substance (a byproduct of oil refining) that holds the aggregate rocks together to form the driving surface.

SD Mapman

SD Mapman

Quote from: brad2971 on October 10, 2013, 07:08:11 PM
And yet SDDOT, in 2015, is planning on spending $36-40 million dollars on two new SPUIs at locations (I-190 Exit 1 and I-90 Exit 14) in which current traffic counts come nowhere close to justifying SPUIs (and likely never will, in the case of I-190 Exit 1). In both instances, the commenting public was presented with options that were significantly deemed acceptable by them that would have cost $5 for each interchange. But some folks in SDDOT can't bear the thought of making I-190 a surface street (current traffic counts easily justify this), and some folks have this weird attitude against roundabouts in Spearfish.
I found a study about this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.